+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, I hate computers! in General; ...

Thank Post

I hate computers!

Hi all

Earlier this year I was hoping to build a new pc system for about £1000. But I cant decide on spending my money on a ati 5850 crossfire setup or spending the money on a SSD setup

Getting a lot of conflicting advice. Some say go for a sata raid 0 setup, its cheaper and gives more storage, is as fast as SSD but some say its unreliable?

also been told that ssd is unreliable and too expensive at the moment.

the spec I have s far is like this -

Intel DX58SO Extreme Series ATX
    Intel Core i7-920 'D0 Stepping' Quad
    6GB Kingston Hyper-X 1600MHz DDR3 Triple Channel Memory Kit
    XFX ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB
    XFX ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB
    1TB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ Hard Disk Drive
    Sony AD-7241S-0B 24x DVDRW with Lightscribe
    Microsoft Business Hardware Pack
    850W Coolermaster Silent Pro M850
    Antec Nine Hundred (Antec 900)

Total comes to about £1200!

any thoughts guys?

Thank Post
    Well RAID 0 is unreliable, in that if one drive fails then you're stuffed.

I've owned a SSD in the past. The 2nd gen Intel 160GB SSD. I didn't see as much benefit as I was expecting for the £300 odd I'd spent. Yes it was fast but it didn't make everything magically instant like I was expecting.

Reliability of SSDs is a bit of an unknown at the moment. They have a finite life span when it comes to writing data. How long it lasts depends on how much you hammer the thing. In theory you should know well in advance before the thing fails as it can keep track of how many writes its done.

Some good choices of components there though. Make sure you get a quiet CPU cooler. Long list of recommended ones here Recommended Heatsinks | silentpcreview.com

3. Thanks to hailstorm from:

Techie101 (20th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can't really argue with the spec you've already got listed. I'd suggest a brand other than XFX purely in case one of them goes wrong and supplier insists you get an RMA from them - dealing with XFX is head against wall stuff.

Are you really going to miss an SSD? Like the above post I'm also erring on the side of caution. Besides which many places are still doing that F3 for well under £60 inc vat - how about getting another couple of those and going all Raid5 - performance boost, less prone to failure and cheap replacements should one go The F3's are still ruddy good drives and still hold their own against the new WD Blacks which are vastly more expensive.

5. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Can't really argue with the spec you've already got listed. I'd suggest a brand other than XFX purely in case one of them goes wrong and supplier insists you get an RMA from them - dealing with XFX is head against wall stuff.

Are you really going to miss an SSD? Like the above post I'm also erring on the side of caution. Besides which many places are still doing that F3 for well under £60 inc vat - how about getting another couple of those and going all Raid5 - performance boost, less prone to failure and cheap replacements should one go The F3's are still ruddy good drives and still hold their own against the new WD Blacks which are vastly more expensive.
    what about the intel x25-E 64gb drive ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    well the intel drives are indeed very very nice - I wouldn't say no

Point is, is it a "nice to have" or "I really, really need the performance". A quick boot time might not be the top of everyone's priorities.

But of course if anyone's got one going for under £10 I'd be very interested indeed

Thank Post
    If you stay with standard drives look at the WD VelociRaptor WD VelociRaptor 300 GB SATA Hard Drives ( WD3000BLFS )

9. Thanks to RingOfFlame from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    well the intel drives are indeed very very nice - I wouldn't say no

Point is, is it a "nice to have" or "I really, really need the performance". A quick boot time might not be the top of everyone's priorities.

But of course if anyone's got one going for under £10 I'd be very interested indeed

For the time being am sticking with normal sata drives until SSD's go down in price a considerable amount as would be nice to have a fast drive like the x25-E but with at least a few times the amount of capacity for a couple hundred quid would be good

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    Ive played with SSD in a Dell laptop and had no end of trouble with it. I would just go with the best SATA drive you can (and it wouldn't be a samsung)

I have to wonder why you're spending so much though, there aren't many games out there that would have a slow framerate on one of those cards or utilise an i7 properly.

I'm also amazed shinobi didn't suggest just getting a mac!
    Last edited by Midget; 20th February 2010 at 11:07 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    Had enough of the after math of suggesting a mac - got no end of stick from a lot of members about how they are not good for gaming etc - personally if I wanted it for gaming your better off with a console whether its ps3 or xbox 360 - although admittedly I have no problems what so ever playing all the games I have on my mac pro with an 8800 GT nvidia

13. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

garethedmondson (20th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post

he'd have a point if he did....given the OP's 1k budget.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    he'd have a point if he did....given the OP's 1k budget.
    But mac pros start at £2000 for one with a single GFX card which doesnt even compare to the one in the OP

I remember when i made my PC around 3 years ago; intel 6750, 4gb ram, 8800gt, blah blah. For the same thing but with a apple badge on it was over £3000!! I payed around £600

Dont get me wrong, i love my macbook pro, but apples are a stupidly expensive way to play games.

To the OP; persaonally id get neither for teh time being. As said there are no games which will use the power of 2 5850s. And the price of SSDs atm is just silly. I do want a x25-m at some point, every week or so i check on their price, but i just cant justify £170 for a HD which will barely fit my OS, a few apps, and some audio samples. I really need to wait for the 160gb to come down in price.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 20th February 2010 at 12:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,912 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd say go for the GFX variant with 4 WD velociraptors in RAID 1+0 - not RAID 0 on its own. That way you get the speed increases and the reliability.

The SSD's just aren't worth it yet I don't think...

Thank Post
    i have 2x 640GB WD black editions in RAID0 and it works very well, there was a measurable performance increase to all game loading times etc... (i put the raid0 in after build so had been running the machine without it for a few months).

As for the reliability its been a few months with no problems, the way i see it is its a fast 1.2TB drive, if one of the HDDs fail i will just replace it and start again. My Gaming machine doesnt have anything i couldnt live without on, so it would only be re-installing games.

Thank Post
    RAID 0 is fine as long as you don't store anything important on there. If you only have the OS, software, games that you can easily reload or restore from backup then you just have to accept that RAID 0 will break every few years as 1 disk fails.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    RAID0 is named after the amount of data you'll recover when it fails.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast