+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, The way people are taught to drive today. in General; My 17 yr old is taking driving lessons and I've been taking her out between lessons so that she can ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 741 Posts
    Blog Entries

The way people are taught to drive today.

My 17 yr old is taking driving lessons and I've been taking her out between lessons so that she can get some practice.

I've adopted the laid back approach, so as not to teach her any of my bad habits and I only chip in if I feel it's really necessary. Her driving really is excellent so I guess I can't fault the quality of the driving instruction she's receiving and her inate driving ability which I guess must be inherited

One thing does suprise me is how they are now taught to sit with the car in first gear, clutch depressed, handbrake on, whilst waiting at traffic lights, pedestrian crossings, junctions, etc.

Talking to others this now seems to be the norm with other driving schools / instructors in our area. All I can think about as we're sat there waiting for the lights to change is my poor old clutch!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    When I was learning to drive about 5-6 years ago, I was taught to put it into neutral and apply the handbrake if you're going to be sat still for more than a few seconds.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    My 17 yr old is taking driving lessons and I've been taking her out between lessons so that she can get some practice.

I've adopted the laid back approach, so as not to teach her any of my bad habits and I only chip in if I feel it's really necessary. Her driving really is excellent so I guess I can't fault the quality of the driving instruction she's receiving and her inate driving ability which I guess must be inherited

One thing does suprise me is how they are now taught to sit with the car in first gear, clutch depressed, handbrake on, whilst waiting at traffic lights, pedestrian crossings, junctions, etc.

Talking to others this now seems to be the norm with other driving schools / instructors in our area. All I can think about as we're sat there waiting for the lights to change is my poor old clutch!
    I have been driving 2 years now and that how i was taught to do it when i was driving

Thank Post
    nope keep it in first, was the way I was taught 3 or 4 years ago (I'm beginning to forget things in my old age), and I passed with only 3 minors none of them related to gears..

Although I have started flicking it to neutral in traffic jams now, as my leg begins to cramp up.
    Last edited by mossj; 15th February 2010 at 10:39 PM.

Thank Post

That's also how I was taught, five or six years ago now, though I was also taught to move out of gear for long periods of time. There were other things that struck me as odd, too - foot to the floor to accelerate out of 30s, rather than move through the gears, things like that.

I've been having a lift with my girlfriend for a couple of weeks now since I broke my car, and it's interesting to observe the differences - she moves out of gear and releases the clutch practically every time she pauses, which means she's often slower to move off again (we had a different instructor, and she learned much more recently). She also uses first gear a lot more than I do, though that's probably a lot to do with my old car hating first with a passion.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    I learnt eer a good few years ago now, well not that many but seems it lol, and it was if your just pulling up and they go red then then into neutral, but if you just get there stay in it for like 30 seconds then come out of gear into neutral to rest. But bad habits I tend to stay in gear with clutch depressed, its not as if your wearing it by holding it on the clutch if its fully depressed like say I do when i'm being lazy and cannot be bothered to use the handbrake.....

As for the foot to the floor out of 30's yes I do that but I'm foot to the floor in most areas and times as I like to get moving.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Driving with the car still in gear is designed for roundabouts, frequent stops (such as traffic jams) and part of both the 'defensive' and 'aggressive' driving approach to make sure that you either control the road and your place in it or are able to make you way safely out of a dangerous situation.

Out of gear and handbrake on is for traffic lights, hill starts, junctions going from minor to major road ... and for remembering that it is a parking brake (ie should only be applied when the vehicle is already stationary).

You are unlikely to be failed for not using the handbrake at traffic lights as you are still in control of the car, but you will fail if your clutch control is pants and you rock the car.

I still think everyone should resit the test every 5 years. I also think that driving lessons teach you to pass the test and that you should take more lessons to gain more experience afterward. I still intend to complete my advanced driving test and hope to complete an IAM special assessment next year. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has completed one.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I still think everyone should resit the test every 5 years. I also think that driving lessons teach you to pass the test and that you should take more lessons to gain more experience afterward. I still intend to complete my advanced driving test and hope to complete an IAM special assessment next year. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has completed one.
    I concur (twice). I had a couple of motorway lessons after I'd been trundling around on my own for a few weeks, just to make sure I hadn't developed any bad habits yet, but I didn't do a proper extended scheme.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    You can it's called the "Pass Plus", they take you out on the motorway/countryside/city/night/bad weather/dual carrageways and in return you get a bit taken off your insurance premium (well worth it for your average male 17/18 year old).

The instructers are even encouraged to let you use your own car.
    Last edited by mossj; 15th February 2010 at 11:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts

I wouldn't know, I don't stop for those traffic light thingys - never have understood them......

Done some advanced stuff on my Motorbike though which I call ' how to avoid the morons trying to kill you on a daily basis ' - good course that one.
    Last edited by mattx; 15th February 2010 at 11:04 PM.

11. 3 Thanks to mattx:

powdarrmonkey (15th February 2010), SYNACK (15th February 2010), tech_guy (15th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    I wouldn't know, I don't stop for those traffic light thingys - never have understood them......
    I don't remember teaching you how to drive

13. Thanks to SYNACK from:

mattx (15th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 727 Posts
    I was taught the same 13 years ago now.

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    As for the foot to the floor out of 30's yes I do that but I'm foot to the floor in most areas and times as I like to get moving.
    That's the GTI effect Joking aside thought I was taught to "make progress" in much the same way. Which is a good job in MK.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    the way i was told by my instruction 6/7 months ago was to drive economically and to spend as little time doing things as possible, so stop in gear if it is a pause, then take out of gear and put handbrake on if it turns to a wait (she said between 10-15s) is a wait rather then a pause. she did teach me some useful this like look under cars to check no feet where there i.e no kids about to run out etc. she also encouraged when pulling onto the dual carriage way not to shuffle up through the gears but jump from say 2nd to 4th. she was an excellent instructor but wasn't around as much as would have liked as she did lots of work for the police teaching the advanced driving stuff aswell as drink driver refresher courses n stuff like that

Thank Post
    Are they being told why they should do this? I can think of various reasons why not - wear on the thrust race bearings, risk of foot slipping off the clutch, car in "drive" if hit from behind etc.

Training and education should not simply be the blind following of rules, lest we end up being a nation of sheep!!

mb

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    she also encouraged when pulling onto the dual carriage way not to shuffle up through the gears but jump from say 2nd to 4th. she was an excellent instructor but wasn't around as much as would have liked as she did lots of work for the police teaching the advanced driving stuff aswell as drink driver refresher courses n stuff like that
    Agree with block changes, I always block change down and often do on the up as well, I use 1,2,3,6 often missing out 4 and 5, sometimes I do 2,3,4,6 and that sometimes gets a 1 in it as well, but I can move off easily enough in second. I was taught by a coach driver seen as were comparing those that taught us a bit

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast