+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, The way people are taught to drive today. in General; Originally Posted by sted no im saying im cruising along happily in lane 1 @ day 70 and someone is ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    no im saying im cruising along happily in lane 1 @ day 70 and someone is sitting in lane 2 doing say 60-65when there is nothing for them to overtake visible but they wont move over. Lane 3 is either empty or has other faster cars in it do i just stay where i am till the hazard is passed or make a trip to lane 3 then back because of some idiot
    You increase your speed to match lane three and do a classic overtake, or you move into lane two to make room for the car in front to move over where you were. If they do not, you put up with it or use lane three. You do not increase your speed in lane one and pass the slow traffic on the left.

The law is perfectly clear.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I'm certainly not going to suddenly drive any faster. In deed depending on how safe it is I may slow down a little. If I'm in an overtaking lane, and clearly overtaking, I'm not going to suddenly pull in and let you pass just because you want to do 90+mph.
    A brief flash of the brake lights is amusing, too (especially with coaches).
    Last edited by powdarrmonkey; 16th February 2010 at 11:05 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    You increase your speed to match lane three and do a classic overtake, or you move into lane two to make room for the car in front to move over where you were. If they do not, you put up with it or use lane three. You do not increase your speed in lane one and pass the slow traffic on the left.

The law is perfectly clear.
    i wont increase speed to pass but im not getting stuck in lane 1 when its empty but someone is in lane 2. Ive tried many times moving to lane 2 to give a hint dosent work I know you arnt supposed to do it but by the same token you are supposed to be in the leftmost lane always unless passing something so while its not a perfect solution it works

Thank Post
    What motorways are you folk with undertaking issues driving on when, then?

I often do significant stretches of M1-M6 and large chunks of that route are often congested: Lanes 2 & 3 are bumper-to-bumper doing 40-50 slamming brakes on every 10 seconds coz they're too close, whereas lane 1 is relatively empty and doing 60-70.

What are you supposed to do in lane 1 then? Keep watching the idiots in the outside lanes and brake (sometimes stop) every time they do? The trucks certainly don't.

[In light traffic with some half-wit toddling along in lane 2 not overtaking something a mile ahead I do the irritated 1->3->1 thing]

Thank Post
    Interesting stuff.

So if I'm in Lane 1, on a relatively clear motorway. There's nothing ahead of me and I'm doing 70. I notice that ahead there's a lorry which is going to be doing less than my speed. There is a vehicle hogging lane 2 doing 50.

Are you saying that I should do 1 > 2 > 3 > 2 > 1 to overtake the numpty in lane 2 rather than remaining in the lane where I'm established?

I would always stay in 1 until I was well past said numpty and overtake the lorry by moving straight into 2. I hadn't thought of that as undertaking before now!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    So if I'm in Lane 1, on a relatively clear motorway. There's nothing ahead of me and I'm doing 70. I notice that ahead there's a lorry which is going to be doing less than my speed. There is a vehicle hogging lane 2 doing 50.

Are you saying that I should do 1 > 2 > 3 > 2 > 1 to overtake the numpty in lane 2 rather than remaining in the lane where I'm established?
    That's what the highway code says.

Let's put it this way. If numpty in lane 2 suddenly decides he want to be in lane 1 without checking his mirrors (really big numpty) then the accident would actually be considered your fault. Your car should never have been there for numpty to hit.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,011 Posts
    i cant see whats behind me anyway so i just tend to ignore it/guess what was there when i looked! as i broke the rear view mirror off!!

Thank Post
    In that scenario, yes. Forget the law, it's safer for you: A small proportion of numptys actually look in their rear view every hour or two and miraculously decide to move to lane 1 when they see you coming. [But usually it's just afterwards so you get to spend ages out in lane 3 trying to figure out where they went in your rear view before the moving back to 2.. then 1]

Thank Post
    See Hansard.

Passing traffic on the left because it is turning right and you have room to do so, it slows significantly while you maintain your current heading, or it is stationary and you can pass safely, are all acceptable provided you do not put anyone else in danger by doing so.

Undertaking because you are stuck behind someone is not acceptable, and will land you a charge of careless or dangerous driving (two years inside, 3-11 points, compulsory disqualification, etc).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Changing the subject slightly - what about roundabouts?
    Learning to drive umpty million years ago, I was taught, if going straight across, then I had to move into the right hand lane, indicate RIGHT on to the roundabout, wait until I passed the left junction and then indicate left, taking the second, or straight-across exit. They are now taught to stay in the left hand lane.
    Thats fine except that if waiting at a roundabout, I expect the guy on my right to be coming off at my junction, not sweeping past me to take the next exit.
    How were you taught?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Learning to drive umpty million years ago, I was taught, if going straight across, then I had to move into the right hand lane, indicate RIGHT on to the roundabout, wait until I passed the left junction and then indicate left, taking the second, or straight-across exit. They are now taught to stay in the left hand lane.
    Thats fine except that if waiting at a roundabout, I expect the guy on my right to be coming off at my junction, not sweeping past me to take the next exit.
    How were you taught?
    I was taught by route: if diverging from the road you're currently on, or it's marked on the sign as at a significant angle from straight ahead, indicate accordingly. For straight ahead, approach on the left or as directed by road markings, and indicate for the exit.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I was taught roundabouts the same as powdermonkey. Pretty much keep left unless you are turning right or road markings tell you otherwhys.

The important thing with roundabouts is indication. As you pass the last exist before the one you are taking indicate left to say you are leaving the roundabout - saves me waiting like a lemon as half a dozen car's peal off and exit instead of sweeping past me.

If you are going around the roundabout - as in past my exit, you should be indicating right to let me know you are going past. The only exception is if you are part of the main drag going straight ahead on the roundabout and the main exit is not to the right of the 12 O'Clock position (from your POV). Usually this would mean you are indicating left as you pass me. Note that's as you pass and not before - don't make me think you are taking my exist instead of the one after - aagggghhhhhh.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    How were you taught?
    i don't remember being taught to indicate right when going straight ahead at a roundabout. i think i was told stay in the left lane, pass the first exit then indicate left to go straight on [or second exit].

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    i don't remember being taught to indicate right when going straight ahead at a roundabout. i think i was told stay in the left lane, pass the first exit then indicate left to go straight on [or second exit].
    same id assume anyone in lane 2 indicating right was going to exit 3 not 2 (assuming 2 lane entry 4 axis roundabout)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    same id assume anyone in lane 2 indicating right was going to exit 3 not 2 (assuming 2 lane entry 4 axis roundabout)
    The problem comes when there is more than 4 exits and the main - straight ahead - exit is exit 3 which is at say the 1-o'clock position when you approach. Here you would be indicating right as you pass exit 1 and then change to left as you pass exit 2. There's a roundabout like that just up the road from me.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast