+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, The way people are taught to drive today. in General; When I did a defensive driving course in the early 1990s one of the things we were taught was to ...

Thank Post
    When I did a defensive driving course in the early 1990s one of the things we were taught was to 'anticipate', so being in gear ready to move off at lights was encouraged. We were told to watch the traffic at the junction for signs of other traffic slowing down, keep an eye on the lights facing the moving traffic as they will go to amber before your lights change and when you see evidence that the traffic lights are about to change engage gear ready to move off.

There was a lot of discussion about maintaining vehicle 'balance' too, so that you were neither accelerating hard nor braking hard when cornering. Reading the road ahead was important too, especially looking beyond the number plate of the car in front of you!

The instructor (ex Police driving instructor) also advised about being in the 'optimum' gear for power delivery & control, expecially in what was then new fangled multivalve engines (we were driving a Renault 19 16v) which deliver power & torque much higher up the rev range than the older 8 valve engines....

He made us drive along a road which went over the moors, first keeping to the highest gear possible & then again paying attention to keeping the revs higher where the power was, it was amazing how much more responsive & sure-footed the car was and how much better it handled on the second run
    Last edited by broc; 16th February 2010 at 10:51 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    I keep hearing this word "handbrake". I've heard of it, and use one frequently, but I'm pretty sure the majority of drivers I have the misfortune of pulling up behind don't know what one is.
    Dazzling brake lights are really annoying, but I have one exception: when I'm sat in a refuge waiting to turn right from a busy road, and the last (or only) in the queue in the dark. Then it's reassuring to have brake lights still lit so it's blatantly obvious I'm there and stationary. They go off as soon as someone pulls up behind though.

Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Guilty as charged Clutch down, car in gear, foot on brake waiting for lights to change. Bad habit - not what I was taught. I'm pretty sure I was taught natutal and handbrake at the lights.
    My instructor had a good saying: "when pause turns to wait, on with the brake" (likewise, when following traffic, "only a fool breaks the two-second rule". He was a legend).

Only this morning I nearly got killed by someone overtaking on the away from a roundabout, around a blind curve, approaching zig-zag lines and wholly on the opposite side of the road.. Bar steward.

Didn't know there was such a thing as a manual license though. I thought it didn't make any difference?

Thank Post
    Then there are undertakers (not the morbid type).
    if i can undertake i do its silly having to go from lane 1 to lane 3 and back cos some other tool cant obey correct lane discipline

most annoying think atm is tools who near a junction on the motorway pull into the gap between me and the car infront forcing me to slow down / move lanes when there was a huge gap behind me

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    When I was learning to drive about 5-6 years ago, I was taught to put it into neutral and apply the handbrake if you're going to be sat still for more than a few seconds.
    Driving for just under a year and I was taught to do this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Didn't know there was such a thing as a manual license though. I thought it didn't make any difference?
    Depends what type of car you pass in. If you pass in an Auto you can only drive Autos. If you pass in a manual you can drive both. I have a manual license and prefer to drive autos.

if i can undertake i do its silly having to go from lane 1 to lane 3 and back cos some other tool cant obey correct lane discipline
    Unless you are in slow moving traffic/approaching a junction this is extremely dangerous! There have been a number of occations where I've very nearly hit the side of someone because they were stupid enough to undertake. As a driver I expect to be moving faster than anyone in any lanes to the left of me. When it's time to pull in - lane discipline - I don't expect there to be a BMW doing 105mph on my left hand side as I'm about to manouver. Thankfully (for them) I do double check before pulling in!

6. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

powdarrmonkey (16th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post

most annoying think atm is tools who near a junction on the motorway pull into the gap between me and the car infront forcing me to slow down / move lanes when there was a huge gap behind me
    This is astonishingly dangerous, and it's also an offence. You may only pass traffic on your right when it is stationary, even on a lane that will soon diverge. Sounds like you need a lesson on lane discipline too.

+1 on your second point though, and not just on motorways.
    Last edited by powdarrmonkey; 16th February 2010 at 11:10 AM.

Thank Post
    Depends what type of car you pass in. If you pass in an Auto you can only drive Autos. If you pass in a manual you can drive both. I have a manual license and prefer to drive autos.
    I did not realise this. Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    This is astonishingly dangerous, and it's also an offence. You may only pass traffic on your right when it is stationary, even on a lane that will soon diverge.
    I agree it is much safer to sit behind the person doing 70-80km/h in the fast (edit depends on country as to which side) lane of the motorway with your highbeams flashing and your horn on untill they safely move out of the way

Seriously though there are some times where going around is the only option other than adding another 10 minutes to your journy. In a perfect world people would follow the rules but it is patently not perfect and there are people who drive unsafely slow too.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 16th February 2010 at 11:16 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Seriously though there are some times where going around is the only option other than adding another 10 minutes to your journy. In a perfect world people would follow the rules but it is patently not perfect and there are people who drive unsafely slow too.
    I'm sorry but I rearly can't agree with this. What is better adding 10 minutes to your journey because they guy/girl in front can't drive properly, or causing a versy serious accident because you are being too impatient to drive safely?

I'd rather get somewhere 10 minutes late and in one piece than not get there at all because I'm in a hospital bed instead!

Thank Post
    I'm sorry but I rearly can't agree with this. What is better adding 10 minutes to your journey because they guy/girl in front can't drive properly, or causing a versy serious accident because you are being too impatient to drive safely?

I'd rather get somewhere 10 minutes late and in one piece than not get there at all because I'm in a hospital bed instead!
    Totally agree - as someone once said "better to arrive 5 minutes late in this world than 5 minutes early in the next"

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries

The idea is to do it as safely as possible, they are unlikely to pull out because they are in general stuck to the fast lane anyway. This is a case of the rules working until they don't, by rights these people should be and sometimes are pulled over by police but that is not always the case. At that speed you are just as likely to get into an accident by staying there (at least in NZ) as cars, also not driving safely can misjudge your speed or come over a blind hill crest and slam into you.

I'm not recommending a wholesale breakdown of the rules but in certain situations its safer to get out of the way rather than wait patiently to be rear ended or die of boredom. Besides its not like those rules give them a free pass to not look at their side mirror.

My views may be tainted by living in Auckland where driving is a form of usually non-lethal combat practiced poorly by most. From what I have heard from people that have traveled here from the UK driving is practically utopian there in comparison.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    My views may be tainted by living in Auckland where driving is a form of usually non-lethal combat practiced poorly by most. From what I have heard from people that have traveled here from the UK driving is practically utopian there in comparison.
    If you want to experience some of the best agressive driving - barely non-lethal combat - in the world then I can whole heartedly recommend a taxi ride in Cairo. If you do make sure it's a black and white lada with a carpet on the dashboard and not one of those ultra safe modern yellow things with airbags, abs, etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    So you're in Lane 2, following some muppet doing 50mph. Are you suggesting that you'd use lane 1 to get round them rather than lane 3 or have I missed the point?

I guess there is a point where you can argue whether moving into lane 1 and back into 2 is completing a previous overtake and starting a new one!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    So you're in Lane 2, following some muppet doing 50mph. Are you suggesting that you'd use lane 1 to get round them rather than lane 3 or have I missed the point?

I guess there is a point where you can argue whether moving into lane 1 and back into 2 is completing a previous overtake and starting a new one!
    no im saying im cruising along happily in lane 1 @ day 70 and someone is sitting in lane 2 doing say 60-65when there is nothing for them to overtake visible but they wont move over. Lane 3 is either empty or has other faster cars in it do i just stay where i am till the hazard is passed or make a trip to lane 3 then back because of some idiot

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Changing the overtaking subject ever so slightly, and pointing out other things some drivers do that is worse than not using the handbrake at the lights -

My second passion after swearing at anybody who can't indicate on a round-a-bout (around 90% of drivers I've seens in these parts) is tailgaters. Sitting 2 foot off my back bumper when I'm cruising along at 70mph is just not funny!

I'm certainly not going to suddenly drive any faster. In deed depending on how safe it is I may slow down a little. If I'm in an overtaking lane, and clearly overtaking, I'm not going to suddenly pull in and let you pass just because you want to do 90+mph.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast