+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, The way people are taught to drive today. in General; I was taught to go into neutral. Been driving 1.5 years or so....

Thank Post
    I was taught to go into neutral. Been driving 1.5 years or so.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was taught to go into neutral unless its a really short stop where you need to move quickly again like a give way. That way your foot can be on the break to keep the car safely put and limit carnage in the case of a rear end accident as best as possible.

I also block shift, given the hp that my car puts out I usually go 1,2,5 and have to stop accelerating either half or three quaters of the way through second depending on if I am in suburban streets or the motorway respectivly. Any more than that and I get the red+blue warning lights blinking in the rear view mirror along with an annoying warning siren.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 15th February 2010 at 11:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Any more than that and I get the red+blue warning lights blinking in the rear view mirror along with an annoying warning siren.
    So distracting, aren't they? I mean, there you are, trying to concentrate on how many cars you can get past before the next exit, and there's this whining noise coming from somewhere behind...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just get an Auto its far simpler

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    So distracting, aren't they? I mean, there you are, trying to concentrate on how many cars you can get past before the next exit, and there's this whining noise coming from somewhere behind...
    Precicely, very distracting a menace to public safety even. It does get quieter if you speed up though, for a while at least until that nasty Whhooop, whooop, whhooop noise starts up overhead.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    When I was learning to drive about 5-6 years ago, I was taught to put it into neutral and apply the handbrake if you're going to be sat still for more than a few seconds.
    Same here.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    You can it's called the "Pass Plus", they take you out on the motorway/countryside/city/night/bad weather/dual carrageways and in return you get a bit taken off your insurance premium (well worth it for your average male 17/18 year old).

The instructers are even encouraged to let you use your own car.
    My 19 year old daughter was recently refused insurance as she hadn't completed her Pass Plus.

Thank Post
    20 years ago I taught myself in the USA and passed by doing to circuits around the block. The instructor was very impressed I could drive Stick so passed me.

I then had five lessons in England and passed first time.
    Last edited by ICT_GUY; 16th February 2010 at 12:57 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Not sure on this so just a simple question really - with ref to the pass plus do you have to take it within a year of passing your driving license test ??

Or can you simply just take it whenever ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Not sure on this so just a simple question really - with ref to the pass plus do you have to take it within a year of passing your driving license test ??

Or can you simply just take it whenever ?
    12 months: Let me google that for you

11. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

mac_shinobi (16th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    Question for tech_guy (or anyone else with very recent experience of driving tuition): are they still insisting on what I consider to be the utterly daft 'eco-driving' system of always being in as high a gear as possible? When my wife had her lessons about 4 years ago that was the 'in' thing, and it conflicted utterly with the IAM tuition I was having which emphasised not changing up too soon for better control.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Just get an Auto its far simpler
    yuck id rather walk than drive another auto the 2 ive driven have always been in the wrong gear at the wrong time you cant force them to downshift while slowing down so they are in the right gear to accelerate when needed (approach to a roundabout with good visibility for instance)

someone mentioned iam test further up i did it about 11 years ago now wasnt a bad thing to do but i dont think it made that much difference depends on your driving style anyway

Thank Post
    @AngryTechnician: if it helps, five years ago I was taught to be in as "high a gear as sensible" to reduce wear and tear but still maintain control at low speeds.

Thank Post
    I keep hearing this word "handbrake". I've heard of it, and use one frequently, but I'm pretty sure the majority of drivers I have the misfortune of pulling up behind don't know what one is.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    I keep hearing this word "handbrake". I've heard of it, and use one frequently, but I'm pretty sure the majority of drivers I have the misfortune of pulling up behind don't know what one is.
    Guilty as charged Clutch down, car in gear, foot on brake waiting for lights to change. Bad habit - not what I was taught. I'm pretty sure I was taught natutal and handbrake at the lights.

I'm with Tony, and I'm sure we've both said as much in previous threads, that we should be forced to retake the driving test every 5 years. I also think there should be a maximum number of time your are a) aloud to retake in a given year, and b) alowed to retake full stop. If you can't pass after 5 or 6 attempts (arbatory figures) should you really be on the road? Driving is a qualification and not a right!

There are worse things that some drivers do that are far more dangerous and tend to p*** me off on a dailey basis than sit at the lights without the handbrake on. My pet hate is lack of indicating - expecially on roundabouts. Then there are undertakers (not the morbid type).

I also agree with FN-GM. I've got a manual license but Auto is soooo much better
    Last edited by witch; 20th March 2010 at 11:06 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast