+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Getting Things Done in General; Just wondered if any GTD fans on here.. Fallen off so spent last week sorting my work system out now ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Getting Things Done

Just wondered if any GTD fans on here.. Fallen off so spent last week sorting my work system out now just my home, EG and Other system to resort.

Thank Post
    What's GTD?

Thank Post
    Well, I have a 43-folders filing cabinet in the office... that stopped being used properly a year ago... and used to use one of the daily planning sheets... both of which I've got totally lax with. So a fan, yes, but a lapsed one!

Alas Outlook has returned to being organisation tool of choice, though perhaps one day I'll GTD-it-up again!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    What's GTD?
    "Getting Things Done"

A system for Time Management - quite interesting really once you've worked your head around how it all works!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I tend to work strictly to this rule, with my oft-used motto "JFDI". (just flippin' do it, slightly nicer version of the actual anagram). No point dallying about

Thank Post
    So with this you plan what you're doing?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    I tend to work strictly to this rule, with my oft-used motto "JFDI". (just flippin' do it, slightly nicer version of the actual anagram). No point dallying about
    In some ways that is one of the rules of GTD if job going to be 2 minutes or less then do it.

Else make sure that have system in place to catch all your incomings (or as they call them in-boxes).

The problem about just doing it falls down when can't get into a room or have a meeting to go to etc. At that point for me at least that is when I need something in place (as my memory is rubbish).

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Aye there's always going to be a lot of caveats - arranging convenient or possible times to do whatever is required, prioritisation and the like.
    However working technically with computers is a little different from most other professions - so much of it has large chunks of "waiting" time (package building, deployment, OS deployment etc) it's easy to literally do 2 things at once

But yeah - if its only going to take a minute, get right on it. But there's another caveat right there. Plenty of things would normally just take a minute and you end up spending an hour. Modern HP printers are getting RIGHT on my nerves for this. Couple of weeks ago "Would you mind installing our shiney new HP officejet?"
    "No problem, it'll only take a few moments"
    Out of it's box, packaging removed, on the desk within 2 minutes.
    Disc in the drive.
    Start install process. This already takes longer than I'd expect for any printer software.
    Whilst it's doing, check over the paperwork. That's odd, the printer's still making lots of noises.
    Hang on - according to said paperwork it has to spend 20 ruddy minutes calibrating?
    Grr. 15 minutes for the software to install. 20 minutes for that printer to stop whinging. I didn't even have that sort of performance printing on a dot matrix paper cruncher 25 years ago - why now?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Problem with GTD people see it is as some hard set rules the key here is to use common sense and also make the system yours.

As was said some jobs are start and come back jobs.

For that me that is where projects parts of GTD works (in GTD a project is something that has two or more actions).

Don't get me wrong I think people have to find right productivity system for them.

As Marc says GTD takes its time to get around and then you can make it your own.

If looking for something less processed then GTD then do recommend the book Time Management for System Administrators.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    If looking for something less processed then GTD then do recommend the book Time Management for System Administrators.
    I have that book - s'good. So is the [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practice-System-Network-Administration/dp/0321492668/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266314607&sr=1-1"]Practise of System and Network Administration[/ame] by the same guy.

Based on his system I use three Tomboy notes (autogenerated every weekday).

One is stuff to do/done today
    Second is stuff to do/done this week
    Third is LongTerm (projects)

Stuff not done on Monday gets shifted to Tuesday etc. This assumes you're managing your workload properly - sane deadlines as opposed to "Scotty" estimates or agreeing to do everything under the sun.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have been using Tracks (an app based on David Allen’s Getting Things Done™ methodology) hosted on Morph eXchange to help me organise things for a while.

Once you get your head around the methodology it can really help you stay on top of things.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Practise of System and Network Administration I would say is one of the best and in my view must read books on IT Support.

Got it on my Safari Account and then paid so that could get download and print it out.

Russ
    Last edited by russdev; 16th February 2010 at 02:22 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread