+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, RM Tutor Packages in General; greetings on this wonderful holiday time for some reason RM tutor was removed by my predecessor, and im being nagged ...
    Thank Post

Question RM Tutor Packages

greetings on this wonderful holiday time

for some reason RM tutor was removed by my predecessor, and im being nagged to get it back on, now i have finally seemed to of cured most of the issues since sept i want to get it done.

problem is i have lots of different packages for different parts of the prog;

RM Tutor 3
    RM Tutor 3 Browse Control
    RM Tutor 3 Student Only
    RM Tutor 3 Teacher Only
    RM Tutor Enhancements
    RM Tutor Secure Client

my question is where do i allocate these? ie which on to either teacher or student stations. the student only and teacher only i think i can guess lol.

normally id just test allocate this but due to allocating/deallocating other packages and power being on and off and a massive list of other jobs i thought id ask you wonderful folks

Thank Post
    RM Tutor 3
    - Probably the main client. Will likely include student and tutor apps (so you could allocate this to every licenced machine) - the full package I am guessing.
    - Used to control the teacher console and what they are meant to see (so should only let them see the room/area that they're using). For us, it used to work about 70% of the time, but better having it on than not at all (only needed on machines with teacher console installed though)
    RM Tutor 3 Student Only
    - Student only package (doesn't include teacher console)
    RM Tutor 3 Teacher Only
    - Same as above, except vice-versa
    RM Tutor Enhancements
    - Some fixes and changes RM made (i'd recommend sticking this on every machine that has any variation of the above installed)
    RM Tutor Secure Client
    - If this is installed, then it'll pop up a box when you try and connect to a computer, asking the user logged if they want to let you connect to them (they can decline, and you won't be able to connect). Optional component, we never bothered with it tbh.

You could either install the first one and enhancements, or install the student one and enhancements with the teacher one separately to computers where you only want the teacher console to be used.

Been a while since we used Tutor 3 (we're testing Tutor 5 now!), but from memory that is the jist. The way wedid it (even now on Tutor 5) is the 2nd suggestion I made - install student everywhere, and teacher to only computers that need to use the teacher console.
    Last edited by dgsmith; 15th February 2010 at 02:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    RM Tutor 3
    - Probably the main client. Will likely include student and tutor apps (so you could allocate this to every licenced machine) - the full package I am guessing.
    - Used to control the teacher console and what they are meant to see (so should only let them see the room/area that they're using). For us, it used to work about 70% of the time, but better having it on than not at all (only needed on machines with teacher console installed though)
    RM Tutor 3 Student Only
    - Student only package (doesn't include teacher console)
    RM Tutor 3 Teacher Only
    - Same as above, except vice-versa
    RM Tutor Enhancements
    - Some fixes and changes RM made (i'd recommend sticking this on every machine that has any variation of the above installed)
    RM Tutor Secure Client
    - If this is installed, then it'll pop up a box when you try and connect to a computer, asking the user logged if they want to let you connect to them (they can decline, and you won't be able to connect). Optional component, we never bothered with it tbh.

You could either install the first one and enhancements, or install the student one and enhancements, then the teacher one separately to computers where you only want the teacher console to be used.

Been a while since we used Tutor 3 (we're testing Tutor 5 now!), but from memory that is the jist. The way we work is the 2nd suggestion I made - install student everywhere, and teacher to only computers that need to use the teacher console.
    cheers, can you not give thanks in general? prob should have posted somewhere better

thank you muchly

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbo_ap View Post
    cheers, can you not give thanks in general? prob should have posted somewhere better

thank you muchly
    Do you mean the forum "thanks"? Just click it on the post? I edited slightly after posting which removes any thanks given (quite annoying)!

If you're on CC4 you can get Tutor 4 and soon Tutor 5. We didn't have much luck with Tutor 3 but then we were very critical of small things too

Thank Post
    Do you mean the forum "thanks"? Just click it on the post? I edited slightly after posting which removes any thanks given (quite annoying)!

If you're on CC4 you can get Tutor 4 and soon Tutor 5. We didn't have much luck with Tutor 3 but then we were very critical of small things too
    ahh thats why, we are moving to cc4 in summer hopefully. what is different on Tutor 5?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbo_ap View Post
    what is different on Tutor 5?
    It's based on Netsupport school 10.5 which has the "browse control" functionality built in to the software rather than bolted on top which obviously is alot better. For us this has worked a dream and definately a feature I am sure most schools will be pleased about.

You also get the tech console amongst other things, which means you can run that all day as a technician and see the whole school.

On Tutor 3/4, I wouldn't recommend as a tech/NM running the tutor console in your office though. That is designed for teacher use only (and computers are designed to only be controlled/monitored by one tutor console on Tutor 3 & 4). The tech console removes that limitation.

Other improvements too which overall make it a better product.

Thank Post
    Are you in field trial for Tutor 5? Or are you running NS 10.5?

It's based on Netsupport school 10.5 which has the "browse control" functionality built in to the software rather than bolted on top which obviously is alot better.
    This is Location Link on CC4?

You also get the tech console amongst other things, which means you can run that all day as a technician and see the whole school.
    This also teachers to request support from within the application, if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 15th February 2010 at 02:51 PM.

Thank Post
    We've been working with RM/Netsupport to help them address problems we have seen with the product from Tutor 3 onwards. It seems it'll be field trialed with other sites pretty soon as well with the release of SR2.

Browse control/LL as far as I remember pretty much have the same purpose - pickup the machines in the location you're in. You don't need either on Tutor 5.

Thank Post
    We've been working with RM/Netsupport to help them address problems we have seen with the product from Tutor 3 onwards. It seems it'll be field trialed with other sites pretty soon as well with the release of SR2.

Browse control/LL as far as I remember pretty much have the same purpose - pickup the machines in the location you're in. You don't need either on Tutor 5.
    Great! So RM Tutor 5 includes all the exciting stuff you read about on Netsupport School The Classroom Management Software.

Tutor 5 is said to be coming out after SR2.

If you're running Tutor 5 I've got a couple of questions for you if you don't mind? I'll pop them in a PM?

Thank Post
    I'm sure now that it is being mentioned by RM in relation to SR2, they'll be releasing some official tec article soon enough detailing what's new etc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes NetSupport 'nicked' Location Link Idea and wrote it in the latest version of it (which is what Tutor 5 is based on).

Russ

Thank Post
    I work for NetSupport and have been presenting RM Tutor 5 at the recent round of Tech Seminars - feedback has been very positive and Tutor 5 will be available very soon.

rad
    Thank Post
    How soon is very soon? Just got Tutor 4 working!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    How soon is very soon? Just got Tutor 4 working!!!
    I echo that! (What a pain in the...)

Thank Post
    RM Tutor 5 is currently being tested internally by RM - field test are scheduled to commence over the next few days and assuming all goes well RM Tutor 5 is scheduled for a July release - I would urge you to contact your RM Account manager for more detail on this.

Matt Jones
    NetSupport Ltd

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast