+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, local government pay freeze in General; Originally Posted by laserblazer Good thinking. How do you think the Tories will find the money for pay rises? I ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Good thinking. How do you think the Tories will find the money for pay rises? I bet there are any number of schools looking at what support staff they can do without.
    And teaching staff here as well.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    I'm just pleased to still have a job
    You are very correct about that however no cost of living increase at least is actually the equivalent of a 2.9% pay CUT due to the rate of inflation (Bank of England figures). So not only can you buy less with your wages but if you have any savings they are slowly loosing value every day for the same reason.

Richard

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,866 Times in 1,384 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am glad I have a job, glad my wife has a job, glad we have a house to live in and glad we get paid!

I know several people who don't have one of the above and would kill for it. Jobs right now are rarer than a penguin in the sahara. Only places I know that are creating jobs are supermarket warehouses and they are being filled by migrant workers (fair play, everyone needs a job) because (don't take this the wrong way) a lot of people don't want jobs they see as beneath them.

As for the pay freeze, it could be worse as the cost of living has gone up by something marginal like 0.3% (in my area anyway), despite what the Bank of England have said, as they take it on a whole for the country, and in most cases, base it on London.

As for the teaching staff getting the pay rise, that is unfair, as if we walked out on strike, they would struggle to fill the gap, but if a teacher walks out on strike, they can call in support staff. Its a double standard, but there is little that we can do about it.
    Last edited by nephilim; 9th February 2010 at 10:03 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Not surprised really - as the public sector employees gets hit first whenever there's a slight problem with budgets. Its never MP pay, thats for sure
    Well, the low-paid employees. I'll bet there's something in the pot for those raking in the big bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    You are very correct about that however no cost of living increase at least is actually the equivalent of a 2.9% pay CUT due to the rate of inflation (Bank of England figures). So not only can you buy less with your wages but if you have any savings they are slowly loosing value every day for the same reason.
    Don't forget that the energy companies are threatening price hikes to pay for infrastructure upgrades. Couldn't they have paid for those out of the decades of huge profits they've had since Maggie sold the country off to the highest bidder?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    Don't forget that the energy companies are threatening price hikes to pay for infrastructure upgrades. Couldn't they have paid for those out of the decades of huge profits they've had since Maggie sold the country off to the highest bidder?
    Ah, but if one of them had done that, then they'd not have been as competitive as the others and therefore wouldn't have been engaging in their legal job to make as much profit as possible.

So, none of them invested and now they're all in the same boat.

That's just proof that infrastructure like that should never have been privatised.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,866 Times in 1,384 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thing is, if it wasn't privatised, the government would have the monopoly and be able to charge whatever they liked and we could do nothing about it. That's the flip side.

My wife and I switched to Ebico in terms of Gas and Leccy about a year ago and have actually had our bills decreased, despite the infrastructure upgrades, so if a smaller, not-for-profit company can do it, why cant everyone else? Bah I realised I just derailed this topic, back to the original one!

Thank Post
    It is unfair but that's how it is at the moment in this sector. I hope we don't have go go through the whole pain of striking again

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Ah yes I forgot it's us employees on the front line that have mismanaged this countrys money so that there is none left to give us a cost of living pay raise, sheesh it's not like we expected 10% or something stupid just a measly 3% lets say.

Ben

Thank Post
    Pay rises will be paid for by devaluation of the pound, the advantage of having an dependant currency.

Good news for all you borrowers, all your debts will be worth less. You savers will have your savings destroyed to pay for the states finances.

Also Cost of living has gone up by around a 1/3 in real terms over the past two years. Its only white goods that make it appear that inflation is not too bad.

Coal and oil have risen in price dramatically and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
    Last edited by ICT_GUY; 9th February 2010 at 11:31 AM.

Thank Post
    am glad I have a job, glad my wife has a job, glad we have a house to live in and glad we get paid!
    Can't be put any better.

These are not times to be complaining if you've got a job - these are times to survive.

Once/if things recover - thats when it'll be justified to ask for more.

But not now.

regards

Simon

PS and if anyone could point to any party of any political persuasion anywhere in the world that saw this one coming and made appropriate plans - please let us know!

Thank Post
    Well - at least we're not like Ireland (or at least not til after the election) where public sector has had a 15% wage cut, plus loads of redundancies - that would hurt...

Thank Post
    What other areas of goverment are seeing a pay freeze?

13. Thanks to fafster from:

ButterflyMoon (9th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post
    Good news for all you borrowers, all your debts will be worth less. You saves will have your savings destroyed to pay for the states finances.
    Ah, but if that's the case, our pay is worthless too - so in real terms, we'll still be in the same situation when it comes to paying off debt.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    They announced this wayyy back months ago. Not surprised really - as the public sector employees gets hit first whenever there's a slight problem with budgets. Its never MP pay, thats for sure
    It's interesting to look at MPs pay over the past 30 years and see how it changed under the Conservative and Labour governments. Between 1979 and 2007 it went from 9,450 to 43,860; it now stands at 64,766. There were some massive increases under Margaret Thatcher - the first 2 years alone saw an increase of 50%. Under the Labour government no year has had an increase of more than 6.5%; most are 1% to 2.5%

Of course, a lot of MPs claim the infamous second home allowance but they were also introduced by Thatcher; they've just become rather more public in the recent past!

(figures from http://www.parliament.uk/documents/upload/M05.pdf)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    Simple solution, don't vote Labour.
    That's not a solution. Simple Solution is find something hopefully sustainable that creates money ie. Manufacturing, Green Technology, Coal / Oil / Gas etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast