+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Nod32 antivirus in General; I have heard today that Dorset CC is moving to Nod32 from Sophos next year. Has anyone got any experience ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts

Nod32 antivirus

I have heard today that Dorset CC is moving to Nod32 from Sophos next year.
    Has anyone got any experience of it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts

Re: Nod32 antivirus

No but Woo Hoo, the more LEAs that move from Sophos the quicker there pockets will be hit and hopefully they will fix the leaky stuff.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I've had no experience in it personally but I've heard nothing but good things about it from people who use their personal products.

For their Exchange product at least, they seem to be a fair bit cheaper than the competition too.

Thank Post

Never personaly used it, but have heard some really good things about it.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 882 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have a question for anyone using NOD32. A member of staff has asked me to look at his desktop with NOD32 installed as the anti virus solution. He is concerned that there are lots of viruses, trojans etc downloaded from games and music download sistes. I have run NOD32 and cleaned the system up. What worries me is that while scanning NOD32 reports that it cannot scan this file or that file because it is locked. Example of the actual text of the error:

C:\Documents and Settings\localservice\ntuser.dat – error opening (File locked) [4]

What worries me is that the number of files it is not scanning runs into the hundreds. Can this be correct? How can NOD32 clear the system of all infections if it has to ignore so many files like this? Is NOD32 not properly configured on this machine? How can I have more confidence that all infections have been cleared off this machine?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries

Warning about NOD32

Having a client that runs this on their server I feel compelled to point out that you should not under any circumstances have it updating automatically. This company has pushed out three updates in the past year that crash the Exchange Information Store immediately after install.

These faults were not minor and in one case the damage to the store could not be repaired forcing a backup from the previous day to be used.

Their fire walling stuff is also a nightmare that needs to be disabled to share out anything more complicated than a web server

Thank Post

We're already running NOD32 on our DCC Admin network. Seems pretty good so far and no way near as resource hungry as Sophos. I would give the DCC Helpdesk a call and they can probably do a remote install for you.

As far as I was aware they don't support Sophos anymore and haven't done for a while. Trying to recall when we moved over - been at least a few months.

PEO
    Thank Post

Yeah.... Nod32 Rocks :supz:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP
    I have a question for anyone using NOD32. A member of staff has asked me to look at his desktop with NOD32 installed as the anti virus solution. He is concerned that there are lots of viruses, trojans etc downloaded from games and music download sistes. I have run NOD32 and cleaned the system up. What worries me is that while scanning NOD32 reports that it cannot scan this file or that file because it is locked. Example of the actual text of the error:

C:\Documents and Settings\localservice\ntuser.dat – error opening (File locked) [4]

What worries me is that the number of files it is not scanning runs into the hundreds. Can this be correct? How can NOD32 clear the system of all infections if it has to ignore so many files like this? Is NOD32 not properly configured on this machine? How can I have more confidence that all infections have been cleared off this machine?
    It is limited in this regard, the only way to get around this is to scan in safe mode. I have found several other virus checkers that have the same issue including CA eTrust AV and even versions of Norton Antivirus corporate edition. I don't think that yours is set up wrong.

I am not sure whether the other virus checkers are checking these files either, maybe the above virus checkers are just a bit more truthful.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 882 Posts
    Blog Entries

I should have made it clear that the station I am asking about is running Windows XP Home Edition: SP2.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP
    I should have made it clear that the station I am asking about is running Windows XP Home Edition: SP2.
    Shouldn't make a difference to the virus scanner. The internals that it has to deal with are the same either way.

BTW. NOD32 comes in at number 11 in the following survey of effectiveness http://www.virus.gr/portal/en/node/28

Thank Post

We use NOD and have no trouble with it, some of our older pc's do run a little slower with it, but those same pc's could do nothing with sophos on.

Thank Post

I'm seriously thinking about moving from Sophos to ANYTHING else (Norton excepted).

V7 just kills half of our machines (it's services sometimes refuse to let the PC do anything for about 30 - 40 minutes), EM console is not the best piece of software (it also bugs me that you can't uninstall/re-install) and it's a bit bloated for my liking.

It used to be good but now I'm in the market for something else.

When I got quotes for NOD32 it was dearer than Sophos. I've heard mixed reports also.

HBJB

Thank Post

I prefer kapernasky to NOD32 but it is better than the Mcafee suite we currently use

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts

This is an old thread, and as Rusty says (where are you, Rusty?) Dorset has run Nod32 for 6 months now.
    I have it on two networks and it was simple to install, and the automatic update function is fine. It doesn't slow down the machines as much as sophos did and I have been able to set up the teacher's laptops so that it will update through their home connection, or through the proxy or through the server.
    I like it

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast