+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Hard time in General; I moved into my new house a week last Friday, and out of my parents. But I'm having a real ...

Thank Post

Hard time

I moved into my new house a week last Friday, and out of my parents. But I'm having a real hard time getting to grips with it all. I feel a bit down to be honest when I should be over the moon at having my own place.

What the hell is wrong with me?!

Thank Post
    It's a huge change in your life, it's bound to feel odd. Suddenly you're in a place on your own maybe missing the hustle and bustle of the family home, responsible for a house and all the paraphernalia that goes with it, with a feeling of anti-climax because you've finally moved in. It'll wear off don't worry

Don't forget to visit home for the odd meal your parents might be missing you as well.

Thank Post
    Completely normal, it takes time to get used to it and as chrbb says go and heckle your parents for the odd meal, invite friends round and enjoy making a mess without anyone going off at you!

Thank Post
    Dude! Have fun and enjoy your Freedom! have your mates round! Have parties, rock band nights! films nights! eat cold pizza or a curry the next morning!

You got nothing too lose!

Thank Post
    I moved out of my parents' about five months ago - took a little getting used to but we're there now, and looking to move again! Many things you'll need can be done automatically to save hassle and stress, I don't have to open any bills as they are all on direct debit now, and the place runs itself. Bit of maintenance etc is all part of the job

Good luck!

Thank Post
    I totally get where you are coming from. It's wierd being on your own and not being able to just pop down stairs and say hi to people, also I imagine you are missing the things that your parents used to do automatically for you and you never realised. (The Magic washing basket in my case).
    Give it a few months and it will be great and you will probably end up with a stronger relationship with your parents because the time you do see them is time just to see them and not first thing in the morning when you are tired and grumpy.
    I can highly recommend getting some mates round for LAN parties/Xbox/Poker night.
    Rich

Thank Post
    If you havent had a massive party yet, DO IT. You'll feel much better then

Id give anything to move out of my parents now, once you've left and come back its doubly annoying living there

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,381 Times in 1,676 Posts
    Perfectly normal to feel that way -you are just a bit shocked and stunned that you are on your own and a 'responsible adult'!

It'll pass - but (speaking as a parent) DO go back and see your parents often - they will be missing you too

Thank Post
    I remember when I first moved out, was immense especially if you're single! I'd have the boys round, a few beers, pizza...

Of course its going to be 'scary' at first especially with all the responsibilities but its all about the freedom!

Thank Post
    Cheers for all the 'heads up' - I know I'll get used to it, and I hate wishing my life away but I just wish I was 'okay' with it all now.

I'm a big eater (you won't get bigger eaters than me!) but this weekend I've had absolutely no appetite. I've lost a stone in the past week, and I only ate half a pot noodle on saturday and a steak slice yesterday.

Thank Post
    As others have said - perfectly normal feeling.

For the first few weeks, just get a little plan together of having people round/going out with other people to places

And remember guests will not appreciate having to walk over dishes/left over pizza boxes whent hey arrive

regards

Simon

Its a bit like primary school - when you look back - it'll be the best time of your life

Thank Post
    having only just moved into my 1st place 2 1/2months ago i know the feeling. i got used to it quite quick tho. just the depressing ironing etc, but there are the upsides to think of.....pizza when ever you want, gf to stay over, pizza, crates of ale, pizza errrr

the downsides are my house mate who insists on wearing shoes inside to the point where i was on my hands and knees last night scrubbing it up

Thank Post
    When myself and my now wife moved out of our parents homes about 10 years ago I loved it. The other half did not. Took her another three months to leave...... well, she was forced out by her mum and dad. It takes time to settle down and get into a new routine. Have a few friends around for a Singstar or Guitar Hero night, watch a film etc. It all comes together over time.

Thank Post
    The only time I disliked living away was on the odd Saturday night when no-one wanted to go out, it did get a bit lonely (i lived with a friend but his girlfriend was always round then), so much so that on occasion i'd actually go round my parents for the evening! How sad is that

It is hard, especially knowing you have to do all the cleaning, cooking, ironing, it can feel a bit daunting but after a few weeks when you get into a routine it'll be much easier and there'll be more time to have fun

Favourite freedom of mine is being able to cook whatever I want. At home I get moaned at for hogging the kitchen if I take too long, but away I could spend all night making a curry if I wanted to

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I moved out from my parents 3 years ago. My parents bought my stuff over and then they were gone. I stood and cried lol!!

It does get better. Get some mates round....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast