Poll: Who is your line manager?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Who is your line manager? in General; I'm another who answers to an Assistant Head (I'm not sure anybody really knows his title but he has cross-curricular ...

Thank Post

Re: Who is your line manager?

I'm another who answers to an Assistant Head (I'm not sure anybody really knows his title but he has cross-curricular ICT responsibilities).

I would like to have a lacky and then take on cross-curricular ICT duties but we'll have to see what happens. If this does happen, it may be deemed necessary to report to the head instead.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    In previous jobs ... it was the NM, who answered to one of the Vice-Principals / Deputy Heads ...

As NM at this school I answered to the Head ... and now I still do, but the NM and team answer to me (an Assistant Head).

THe ICT Teachers are seperate body ... we work together ... but the team supports the whole school, not just one department.

You wouldn't have the librarian answering to the Head of English just because she looks after some books?
    Err.... We do have the Librarian answering to the Head of English because of the books...

As the NM I am above the teh Head of ICT but the Director of ICT is my direct line manager.. Yet the Head Teacher is the Uber Boss who must be obeyed..

I was informed as NM that I work at the level of Director (just under Assistant Head) so all Teachers are under Me :-) well not really under but I can boot / ban them out of ICT suites and stuff

Thank Post

I wish I friggin knew!

We have a Director of Learning for ICT, a Director of Learning for Business, Enterprise and ICT, and a Business Manager!

I'm supposedly Line managed by the Business Manager, but she try's to open Media files with Word, so imagine going to her with issues! The DoL ICT is only new to the job, and in the past I always worked with the HoD, not under them. The DoL B, E, ICT is the person who does my performance mgt, but isn't classed as my line manager!

Usually these days I just go straight to the head!

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    Who controls your budget and decide what kit gets bought ... who sets the agenda for replacement of old kit ...

Whoever decides this *should* be your line manager.
    That would be me.
    However they have just taken ability to sign things to the budget off me, and given it to the campus manager, yet I still do all the work (probably some auditing thing I expect, can't be due to over spending as I haven't bought anything on a whim yet)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Mine is the Network Manager, he reports to one of the Assistant Heads who is the ICT Coordinator.

Thank Post

As NM I answer to the Business Manager here but in previous NM positions I have answered to Dep Head.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by simongrahamuk
    I wish I friggin knew!
    Sounds familiar lol I have a head of IT and the Head above me... and I can't work out which is which sometimes lol [as far as my Line Manager goes that is].

Hehe.

Thank Post

I am the Network Manager, or Computer Systems Manager as it says on my contract, and report to one of the Deputy Heads. My Technician (I don't even know what he is titled on his contract) reports to me. The Head of ICT is involved in meetings etc, and I think he is responsible, or at least very involved in ICTAC and staff training etc.. But the whole school ICT budget is controlled by the Deputy Head, advised by me.

Ric_ you should look at getting a modern apprentice, very affordable. We got ours form Preston College though they don't run the course anymore and he is leaving. runshaw College are coming in today to chat with us. Not sure if Blackpool and Fylde do them, or Beneast was mentioned to us at one point. PM me for any more info.

Andy

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,821 Posts

I am supposed to be managed by the ICT co ordinator -but in one school she has had responsibility for cross-curricular IT taken away from her (even though I have to mend all the kit), as well as financial responsibility.. So I have to report to the deputy head for matters across the school and buying things.
    In the other school they didnt even tell me that the ICT coordinator had changed- and the head makes all decisions regardless, anyway.

As for performance management -I have had none for 3 years in either school.

Thank Post

As NM the day to day things i have to report to the Business Manager, which is good here cause she is in charge of all the budgets, but i have my own budgets to manage aswell.... but for big ordered it has to go through her....

I also do a bit of ICTAC in school aswell, so with aspects concerning that, i deal with the ICT Co-Ordinator who is leaving in Dec, so im guessing that is going to be taken up by Assistant Head as a temp solution

Thank Post

Deputy Head here. Which is cool, since he knows his stuff sims-wise. ICT Teachers / Coordinators as line managers are a Bad Thing IME.

As the person responsible for Keeping Stuff Working, you need to have the authority to get ICT Coordinator / Teachers to reconsider bad decisions (and veto if need be). If you're working under them, it's harder to do that.

Thank Post

Here as NM I report to the Bursar and then the Head, I manage the ICT budget for the school and make all the decisions on purchases and anything to do with ICT infrastructure.

Thank Post

I report to Disease, he beats me and makes me sit in the corner if I say anything though

Thank Post

Damn Straight!

Thank Post

Other:-

Who knows? I certainly don't...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast