+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Scalextric: that has been my morning .. in General; Originally Posted by Tcsltd it's very frustrating!! IT guys on it now, so fingers crossed!! You spend your days browsing ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcsltd View Post
    it's very frustrating!! IT guys on it now, so fingers crossed!!
    You spend your days browsing edugeek and you still trust the IT guy to fix it? lol ..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jedmondson View Post
    we have a big travailing chest full of scalextric. haven't played with it in ages.
    lol .. well what you waiting for .. surely it needs testing to ensure the condition is still ok should it need to be used .. lol ..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    lol .. well what you waiting for .. surely it needs testing to ensure the condition is still ok should it need to be used .. lol ..
    only problem is that the onley room with a big enough space that dosent get used is my brothers. I also don't have anyone to play against

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jedmondson View Post
    only problem is that the onley room with a big enough space that dosent get used is my brothers. I also don't have anyone to play against
    Left hand against Right hand? lol ..

richard_s
    I have spent the day removing numerous virus and malware infections for people who know squat about computers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by richard_s View Post
    I have spent the day removing numerous virus and malware infections for people who know squat about computers
    Sounds a familiar story!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Hmmm... can't help wondering how long the motors will last at 24v!!
    Not long but they barely stay on the track long enough to burn out, they don't do corners. We had to replace the bottom magnet with a neodium one from a hard drive to get it to stick propperly and then it just dismantled the track taking the corner piece with it if you used more than a milimeter or so of controller depression. You also could not go full noise on it even on a straight as it tended to take the track apart. We were looking at mounting the track to something and getting bigger wheels but realised that we had already wasted at least half a day on a minor distraction and would need to uprate the motors then anyway. The whole set had that lovely smell of electricity barely contained in wires, motors and tracks that were way to under rated to operate safely. We were, at the time wondering which would be the first bit to catch fire. It turned out to be the controller I was holding

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    stop talking about scalextric >:|

can't wait for my son's 2nd birthday so I can buy me^H^Hhim one :d

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I wanna make a huge scalextric track like James May! That looked too cool!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mr May really did tickle my fancy with that series of his. As a kid, I absolutely adored train sets, Scalextric and Lego.
    Tick. Tick. Tick.

I now want a lego house, with a lego room big enough for a big scalextric track intertwining with railway

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Not long but they barely stay on the track long enough to burn out, they don't do corners. We had to replace the bottom magnet with a neodium one from a hard drive to get it to stick propperly and then it just dismantled the track taking the corner piece with it if you used more than a milimeter or so of controller depression. You also could not go full noise on it even on a straight as it tended to take the track apart. We were looking at mounting the track to something and getting bigger wheels but realised that we had already wasted at least half a day on a minor distraction and would need to uprate the motors then anyway. The whole set had that lovely smell of electricity barely contained in wires, motors and tracks that were way to under rated to operate safely. We were, at the time wondering which would be the first bit to catch fire. It turned out to be the controller I was holding
    Ahh so I think what you need to do is get rid of the controller and use a higher rated rheostat of some description (a dimmer switch perhaps?) and then do what my dad's friends did... make your own slot car racing track! They cut grooves into some MDF/hardboard and ran a strip of aluminium tape down each side of the groove... I imagine you could get a conductive paint that would do even better.

Only thing then is the magnets, but I reckon if you're making your own track you could devise a way of anchoring the car from the underside of the board through the slot.

Thank Post
    Ahh so I think what you need to do is get rid of the controller and use a higher rated rheostat of some description (a dimmer switch perhaps?) and then do what my dad's friends did... make your own slot car racing track! They cut grooves into some MDF/hardboard and ran a strip of aluminium tape down each side of the groove... I imagine you could get a conductive paint that would do even better.

Only thing then is the magnets, but I reckon if you're making your own track you could devise a way of anchoring the car from the underside of the board through the slot.
    So, anyone who has a free weekend fancy knocking one of these up? I'm running events most of the weekend so sadly (despite my desire to attempt such thing) so who else wants to bring a bit of joy into this thread and make something .. lol ..

Thank Post
    I have quite a bit of experience of big scalextric events. I used to run an annual "Drink and Drive" charity event. Had a 4 lane track and matching cars (VW beetles). At 1 point I owned several (scale) miles of track. I have only recently had a big clear out and got rid of load of it. Sorry!

A couple of top tips!

Have spare cars. You won't have time to fix the copper brades mid race.
    Time your event and add it up. it's surprising how many races you will need and how long they take.
    Have a master power switch to kill the track. best way to get people off after theri race finishes (see above)
    If you can, supply each lane from it's own transformer. This stops the cars from stealing power from each other. The real pain with this is when a car comes off and stops stealing power! The other gets a boost and comes off as well. This means you get "close" races all the time and can cause trouble with scoring.
    Use a computerised lap counter/timer if possible. I used to use one that was free on the net. You will need to build your own track detectors though. Putting one of these through a data projector looks really cool and keeps the attention of those who can't see over the heads at the track. Failing that, use a seperate human lap counter for each lane..

Finally;
    When you are driving, the trick is to stay on. You lose much more time scrabbling to replace a car that you ever would by running a bit slower..

14. 2 Thanks to rlr1:

Batman (5th February 2010), soveryapt (5th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    So, anyone who has a free weekend fancy knocking one of these up? I'm running events most of the weekend so sadly (despite my desire to attempt such thing) so who else wants to bring a bit of joy into this thread and make something .. lol ..
    I would love to but free weekends are a thing of the past. Maybe when my son's old enough to enjoy it I might be allowed to

Thank Post
    I would love to but free weekends are a thing of the past. Maybe when my son's old enough to enjoy it I might be allowed to
    Lol .. but if you start building one now, just imagine how big it will be when he gets to an age to appreciate it too! lol ..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast