+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, telephone line in General; Right so me and partner, have applied for a 3 bed house. just waiting to hear if we have been ...

Thank Post

telephone line

Right so me and partner, have applied for a 3 bed house. just waiting to hear if we have been accepted by the land lord then all the checks can start.

As we want broadband at the house, so we gonna need a telephone line which is a pain as we dont use the landline what we have at my parents at the moment we just use our mobiles.

If we lived in a virgin media fiber area i would go for there 50mb broadband (what i have at my parents).

so what are the best deals at the moment i dont care for speed really, i care more for unlimited download usage. Also what would it cost us to get up and running?

All i know about the place is there a line going to the house from the telephone pole.

Thank Post
    I'm with o2 its been solid as a rock and its cheap, also got it a bit cheaper being an o2 mobile customer. Check the cash back websites as well as they sometimes have deals on there.

Thank Post
    That is if you're in an o2 unbundled area, sorry forgot to mention that!

Thank Post
    WOW o2 seem great im glad im a customer already so i get the discount.

But do i have to pay line rental somewhere?

Thank Post
    Yeah, either to BT or if O2 offer line rental then to them. About 11.50 PCM.

Unless you get a broadband dongle.

Thank Post
    Find out which LLU services are available there at SamKnows Broadband - Availability - Broadband Availability Checker and then make your choice from there.

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    yea id say o2 all the way.

7.98 a month for a 8mb connection with unlimited downloads.

Thats if you an o2 phone user anyway.

Thank Post
    cheers people.

I'm going to get the middle package from o2. I'm a customer already so i get it for 10 then the line rental from BT for 11.58.

Just heard back from the letting agency that the landlord has accepted me, wife to be and the little westie dog. they said we should be able to get in on the 12th give or take a few days.

I had to pay them 176.25 to do a search on me and my partner. (just to comfirm we are working and we dont have any CCJs against us.) mental i tell ya

Then they want 1 month and a half rent (the half is to cover the dog incase it does stuff) deposit and a month rent advance. then 50+VAT checkin fee on the day of entry and they we have to get contents insurance befor we can move. which is 90+vat with the letting agency.

Thank Post
    If you're even considering getting Sky, look at their bundle as you can get all of their services for about 35 which works out cheaper than buying a phoneline, broadband and sky seperately. They have an unlimited download option on their broadband. I've got their package, and so far it's been very good except for a problem with the line, but that wasn't skys fault.

If you're not bothered about Sky TV, then O2 or Be Unlimited are probably your best bets.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Yeah I use to be with Sky couldn't fault their service. The customer service was fantastic the people on the other end of the phone actually new what they were doing!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by patty04 View Post
    cheers people.

I'm going to get the middle package from o2. I'm a customer already so i get it for 10 then the line rental from BT for 11.58.

Just heard back from the letting agency that the landlord has accepted me, wife to be and the little westie dog. they said we should be able to get in on the 12th give or take a few days.

I had to pay them 176.25 to do a search on me and my partner. (just to comfirm we are working and we dont have any CCJs against us.) mental i tell ya

Then they want 1 month and a half rent (the half is to cover the dog incase it does stuff) deposit and a month rent advance. then 50+VAT checkin fee on the day of entry and they we have to get contents insurance befor we can move. which is 90+vat with the letting agency.
    176 for a search for both of you isn't as bad as I've been charged in the past - it has cost me 120 per person in the house before. Month and a halfs rent as deposit isn't that unusual either. I've never been charged a chekin fee before, sounds like they like to print money this letting agents.

With your contents insurance, 90 sounds very cheap - check that's not 90 a month or a short policy like 3 or 6 months. If it's any of those things I'd shop around and get your own insurance from somewhere. I almost signed into my old letting agents own insurance until I realised it was only a 6 month policy which made it very expensive in comparison to what I could get elsewhere.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I know "shop around" is common advice but it's worth doing! My 50,000 of contents cover costs me about 60 per year in London; some of the quotes I got were many times higher for what looked like the same cover.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread