+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, This Guy Seems Unhappy With Dell in General; I have standardised on Dell [so much so that apart from legacy desktops, laptops and servers tyhe only other kit ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 814 Posts
    Blog Entries

This Guy Seems Unhappy With Dell

I have standardised on Dell [so much so that apart from legacy desktops, laptops and servers tyhe only other kit we have on site which is not Dell is HP [injet and laser printers]

I have found the Dell kit to be reliable enough [and reasonably resistant to the abuse the students deal out] and even when there is an issue my experience of Dell support has been very good.

Looking at this article:

Link: http://funmeme.com/post/2010/01/31/T...omponents.aspx

gives me cause for concern. As time goes by some companies can 'relax' standards to produce kit faster and reduce costs. Could Dell be going down this line now?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    it could just be this person has been unlucky with the dell systems, im sure they don't go for the ultra shoddy stuff. although personally i buy HP or Stone as I have had a few dells as home and havn't liked them. maybe this person has been sacked by dell for some reason or another and is trying to dent there reputation. none of the images acutally are shown in a dell machine so they could be any make/model.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I wont even bother to read on as soon as I read about the capacitors.
    They were not only Dell's fault, or problem. A case of industrial espionage which affected, to name just a few, Dell, HP, RM, Compaq, Toshiba, Acer, Asus, Abit, Gigabyte, MSI, Seasonic - I could go on and on.
    At least Dell machines infected with that issue had the grace to just go a bit unreliable. HP machines with those in their PSUs exploded in quite some style.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    At least Dell machines infected with that issue had the grace to just go a bit unreliable. HP machines with those in their PSUs exploded in quite some style.
    at least the teachers could accurately report that sort of fault lol.

Thank Post
    This was a massive problem for Dell when we used them about 6 years ago in an old job I had. As mentioned though it wasn't just Dell kit that had problems.

Whenever we had to phone their support folks we just mentioned the capacitors had blown they were so used to the calls that they arranged for the motherboard to be replaced the next day.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    at least the teachers could accurately report that sort of fault lol.
    You give 'em too much credit!

Thank Post
    It's not a new problem, we had many of out GX270's and some GX280's motherboards replaced because of this. Dell had recognised the problem and were swapping them out until last January I think it was. I was talking to one engineer and he said he had done 90 in a school at one point.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sounds about right.

And aye, "my computer exploded" is normally bet by any technician with the contempt it deserves, as the description normally actually means the screensaver won't go away (because someone unplugged the mouse) or there's a message on the screen they can't otherwise understand.

But in an office full of HP D530s (or was it D51s, cant remember) you knew the afternoon would be spent avoiding an explosion fuelled heart attack

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts
    Yep, this is old old news. It's also worth pointing out that you will always find someone who hates/has had terrible experiences with almost any manufacturer. I personally despise HP, but many people are quite happy with their HP kit.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I worry about why he did nothing for 9 months after he found the PSU fault until another power supply failed!

Sure, he's got redundant PSUs in his server but the idea is that if one fails you have to replace it, not wait for the whole lot to fail and then complain about how rubbish it is that you can't get an immediate replacement!

Thank Post
    I think ever since the 'Vostro' line Dell are using more 'standard' designs, certainly my sisters Vostro 200feels like a custom build PC with a Dell logo stuck on the front! (When compared to my Dimension E520 with the no tools required most of the time design)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread