+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, AS Level exams in General; BBC News - Grade fears prompt A-level exam board checks by heads BBC report maybe sheds some light on argument ...

Thank Post

AS Level exams

BBC News - Grade fears prompt A-level exam board checks by heads

BBC report maybe sheds some light on argument I've been having with my daughter's college (She got awarded a D in her AS exam!!!)

a D! - she's brighter than me - can read/write and count (I can only do last one) and has never had anything less than a A in any previous ICT exam!

College kidded me on they were going to have all ICT papers sent in for re-mark but then they changed their mind and by the time I found out they weren't going to do it - it was too late.

So she's ended up having to spend/waste time on a re-sit. (Which would have been better spent on 1st A2 maths module revision)

Its makes me so annoyed when I believed that they said that some students don't adapt to A level ICT from GCSE!!!!!

Spooky how she managed it OK in Maths/Spanish and Graphics!!!!!! (And got an A in her mock!)

Simon

Thank Post
    the problem with ICT qualifications is that they are incedibly fussy when it comes to the specific terms used.

for example with OCR missing out one word could mean that marks are not awarded, also it is quite common for A-level students to miss the point of the question slightly and if it is a multi-part question getting the first part wrong could lead to the second part not being answered correctly as well.

might be worth having a look at past mark schemes and papers, as with all exams there are only a certain number of questions that can be asked so look through and learn what the exam board are going to assess you on.

3. Thanks to deanc from:

SimpleSi (31st January 2010)

Thank Post
    the problem with ICT qualifications is that they are incedibly fussy when it comes to the specific terms used.

for example with OCR missing out one word could mean that marks are not awarded, also it is quite common for A-level students to miss the point of the question slightly and if it is a multi-part question getting the first part wrong could lead to the second part not being answered correctly as well.
    Thats one of the things the college have said to me as its obviously a true statement but neither them or Meg thought that would happen to her.

And don't get me wrong - she could have royally messed up but it would have to be the biggest messup of her academic career so far (shes a A/B borderline person - should be an A but she's lazy like her dad )

(And maybe this will do some good and maybe she'll learn to spell revision )

They also said that all colleges had complained about AS ICT (and Eng lan or Lit) and unofficialy from boards they've been told that the boards are under pressure from the quango above them to "make A levels harder" and they had to do something quick so they really really penalised minor errors.

The trouble is, that we are at the bottom of this food chain and are reliant on orgs above doing something.

Now the college are only interested in overall results - so what they did - they asked for all ICT AS level papers to be remarked if they were just under the grade boundaries.

(At the time, I was led to believe they'd asked for them all to be remarked so I left them to it - turns out daughter wasnt even on grade boundary so hers wasn't sent in )

Just to let you know other events - daughter was in an overflow testing area for the exam and the fire alarm went off half-way through (would love to get hands on herbert who pulled that stunt) and one of the scenarios the intially tod me was that maybe her spreadsheet got lost and wasn't marked as that would explain the large discrepancy - but they never followed up

But at end of say - they didn't chase it up - we all know schools/colleges are only interested in grade boundary crossing potential -I don't blame then - its just the world they/we live in

I'm just so so annoyed that I trusted them to look into what happend and they let me down.

[/RANT]

But thanks for the inside perspective - what board do you use BTW - Meg's is WJEC

regards
    Simon
    PS Hope you dont work in a south lancs 6th form college

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A bit strange really ... if she is down as an A/B student then most schools / colleges would chase up any discrepancies as they are not just checked on the overall grades ("ooohh ... look ... we got 96% B and above in out A level blacksmithing"!) but also (and now mainly) on comparison with what the student *should* have got. Ask the college for what they put down as a predicted level on the entry and if it not the A/B the teacher / lecturer / tutor has been saying then chase it.

Also ask to see what information the school sent to the exam board about extenuating circumstances (eg fire alarms) as these are to be reported. Ask to see the copy of the response about it from the exam board. There is an exam officers association (actually, Chris and I met someone ... pretty sure it was the Chair ... at the OFQUAL meeting we went to ... and his is a thoroughly nice bloke ... ) and it might be worth checking with them what *should* have been done.

I am not saying the college has done anything wrong, but there are means to check this out.

6. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

SimpleSi (31st January 2010)

Thank Post
    as they are not just checked on the overall grades ... but also (and now mainly) on comparison with what the student *should* have got.
    mm - interesting - i might try that

(I'm battling the college on the stupid non-attendance letters they've (or more probably their Borg MIS) sent out about youngest daughter - we are getting the sort of letters that you'd only send out in primary schools if your child was only turning up 2 days a week for a term

Stupid computer seems to be equating snow closure and 1 week off in Oct with flu as truanting!!!!! )

Now she's taken the b&^*(t resit Its now a bit virtual as to whether worth chasing (but if she gets a D/C in the resits then I'll have to go to town and I'll use the valuable infor you;ve given me)

But from working in schools - you know how happy/schools colleges are to deal with upset parents and how they welcome them with open arms

regards

Simon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread