+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, How do they get away with it? in General; Just before Xmas I bought a new camera online from Camerabox. They were very efficient and I had no complaints. ...

Thank Post

How do they get away with it?

Just before Xmas I bought a new camera online from Camerabox. They were very efficient and I had no complaints. I used a Barclaycard that I haven't used in years for the transaction as we were going away and we sent off a cheque to them straight away. A couple of days later, their fraud dept. called to say there were some dodgy transactions. An oyster card, online gambling and electrical goods fro Southern Ireland. Barclaycard were brilliant and had it sorted in next to no time.

In an idle moment today I did googled camerabox farud and there were hundreds of hits from people who had exactly the same thing happen to them. Yet they are still trading online. I'm not saying the employees at this company are bent but there must be a big security hole!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    Barclaycard brilliant ?

Not for me about 6 months ago - I'd had been with them for nearly 20 years, paying for the service that if you card is cloned etc THEY sort everything out for you - you don't have to lift a finger.
    So my card was cloned, I was informed, it was stopped. No problem I thought, the extra service I have which means they sort it all out will get me a new card in no time. I waited a few days, no card, I waited a few more - no card. I waited a week no card, I rang them - ' Where is my card ? ' Response - 'we have not sent you your replacement yet.' And they had no answer as to why. I asked why am I paying for this extra service when I clearly they have done NOTHING.
    Anyway - 3 weeks later I got a new card. And when I did I rang up and canceled my account - they checked my details and asked why as I had been a customer for almost 20 years and I ALWAYS paid my bills on time.....so I explained and they apologized and said they would credit me 50 quid if I stayed with them. I explained that if they doubled that amount then I would consider it. [ As it was a nightmare not having a credit card for 3 weeks ] They didn't so I left.
    Anyhoooo - now have a Sainsburys credit card which means loads more nectar points and got a Sony one as my spare.

In regards to your story regarding Camera Box - my card was cloned at a local Petrol station - in fact so many were done it was national news - and weeks later it was STILL happening. The station had done NOTHING. So in a mad moment - [ I have quite a few of those ] - I stood outside the garage one morning and informed every single driver what may happen if they use their credit card. A few days later the place was raided by the local fuzz. Oddly now the garage is under new owners.....strange that.
    Last edited by mattx; 30th January 2010 at 05:48 PM.

Thank Post
    Interesting thread - I bought a camera from Camerabox last November and my credit card was ripped off for £900 in December at an Italian clothing company - I hadn't put the two together - but after reading some of the comments on the net - seems like its probably connected.

Disgraceful that they are still trading if its all true

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 1,189 Posts
    I used them about a year ago.

Managed to get a really decent sony from clearance section, B-grade as it was a returned item. It was £100 quid off the new item price, plus came with a Test Battery still in it, so i ended up with 2! :O)

No problems with credit card.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    Interesting thread - I bought a camera from Camerabox last November and my credit card was ripped off for £900 in December at an Italian clothing company - I hadn't put the two together - but after reading some of the comments on the net - seems like its probably connected.

Disgraceful that they are still trading if its all true
    I flagged this up on the BBC Watchdog site. Get enough complaints and they might look into it.

Thank Post
    My wife had her card cloned recently, and Morgan Stanley (who have since been bought by Barclaycard) were great, without us having bought any extra protection service off them they alerted us, blocked the card and sent a new one in a few days.

Barclaycard's fraud department is a funny place though - they contact me every time the wife buys something from Amazon, especially when she gets stuff from Amazon Marketplace - probably because it goes through as lots of small transactions to the same company - yet I can buy from Amazon without issue and they didn't question it when two £400 Dell online orders went through in the same day.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information