+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Interactive whiteboards in General; IWB == expensive mice...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Re: Interactive whiteboards

IWB == expensive mice

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts

yeah, I find IWBs are not often fully utilised, they are just used as large graphics tablets, which lets be honest, I could get some cheap graphics tablets for the teachers PCs to allow them to control the PC like they do. I would say that I can cound on one hand the number of staff that actually do use the board really interactively (and by that I mean prepare work with embedded text, pictuers, clips etc to move around like lables, timelines, info, sound bites etc, not just use it to click on the powerpoint, or draw over a map, as you can do those with the PC and or a standard whiteboard and a £300 projector. Grrrr. Teachers they want the £2K IWB solution but then don't use them correctly, offer them training and you get we dont have time and we know how to use them when they are far from getting the best use and value from them.

As for NQT's they are getting better but every one of them has different ideas about what they do with them, one even refused a job when he was told his room wouldnt have an IWB in on arival at my last place as his college told him that he should expect to be given one or it to be fitted witin 3 weeks of him starting as all schools should be giving them to staff, he was also told a lot of other crap I think by his college....

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mario
    ....we really need to invest in some software, is there any English software (whiteboard/eductation specific) worth having, as I've been asked to find some, but am struggling...
    Most use SmartBoard or Promethean

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts

It is interesting to see how IWB's are used in your schools. I think that most of you work in high/senior schools, and the experience here seems to be that the local high schools don't really use their IWB's very well. (I have 3 children at one of the local comps)
    However, I work in a first and a middle school, and they seem to use the boards all the time, particularly the first school. Perhaps the board software is better for younger users?
    I quite agree about calibration issues, I am always being called out to the Prometheans as they arent interactive, or miscalibrated, or something. The Smarts at my other school, however, rarely go wrong and are a lot less hassle for me - what is your experience?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 758 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think he means content, rather than system software...

The boardworks stuff is alright, bit pricy though, 900 squid per subject, but i think there's a mahooosive discount if you buy the whol curriculem set

Thank Post

Thankyou Domino, yes it's the programs rather than utilities we're after, but thanks anyway. Will look into your advice Domino.

And yeh, spent a while as a teen in the UK, but us Americans aren't that different to you Brits anyway, we still speak English!

Thank Post

Primary use of them is amazing as there is loads of free resources for them and great software thats cheap and easy to use for the little ones. As they get older its getting more expensive software etc. But Smart Boards are making it easier with a lot more embedded stuff in them now for all ages.

Thank Post

Take a look a this video. It's and impressive way of using a whiteboard. Could it be done with a mouse? Probably, but I don't think it would have the same instructive effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZNTgglPbUA&eurl

Thank Post

I have seen that and like the look of that software package, I should do some more investigating actually about it.

Thank Post

Very smart, I like it. A lot.

Wonder how long it would take the faculty to get used to it...

And I wonder if it can handle masses and forces etc. for use in math?

And John, what do you mean by primary use and as they get older? :s

Thank Post

That MIT Software I have got it! Its a free Microsoft program, for use on Tablet PCs but a quick "enhancement" by a friend of mine in VB and I now can use it on my PC, its as good and as fun as the video clip.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Is the MS link, would be interested to hear how someone with a tablet gets on with it.

Thank Post

By Primary, I am meaning the little children, I don't know what you call that stage in the US, but I am meaning children under 10 years old, not as in the main use of the board. But basically when they are under 10 there is a lot of software by a lot of firms thats cheap and good for use on an Interactive Board, but as the children turn into teenages so go from 13+ they need more expensive packages to make any good use of the board (such as the boardworks stuff that has been mentioned) but it gets very expensive very quickly.

Thank Post

John,
    Mind sharing that 'enhancement?' I'd love to show that off to teachers on Monday. I can't play with it right now (on a mac).

Thank Post

And yes! You can't tell us about an enhancement to atually make use of it without providing it! :P

Thank Post

Most teachers use the IWB really well - especially in Maths, Science, and ICT where we have embedded clips and graphs simulations which students can alter, change due to variable changing.

Most staff do use the IWB more and more; even the older ones - which is good. I try to motivate the older staff and encourage them to use it by providing 1 to 1 training and sometimes that does the trick!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast