+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
General Chat Thread, Is edugeek as large as it thinks it is? in General; Originally Posted by RingOfFlame Well a few posts up I did agree that I was wrong, yet here you are ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame View Post
    Well a few posts up I did agree that I was wrong, yet here you are still berating me. Thank you for that.
    Dear oh dear - you do like to take offence, don't you?

I don't think I was berating you, just explaining why things are as they are

Can you point me to the post in which you agreed that you were wrong? I can't see it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's always worth remembering, for everyone, that the "social" side of a forum such as the General Chat in which this thread is based is often just as, or even more important than the subject-specific forms. They allow people to interact in obviously a more social way, but you can gauge a better idea of what a person is like and how they react from a social post than a technical post. It's nice to be a part of a community whether you're a completely newbie looking for help or a guru looking to spread his wisdom, or the many inbetweens. It can also make our jobs so much easier when we feel we can trust advice given in the technical sections because of someone's reputation that may have been earned from the social side. Plus, IMO it shouldn't matter if you've only posted 3 times in the technical sections but 400 times in the social side - perhaps you don't need much help, perhaps you're not very good at providing it, but like to chinwag or make people laugh. Community is important.

I've often wondered in such forums whether it would be a good idea (or even possible!) to disable reputation from being given or spread in the social/general areas for this reason. Worth a thought?

3. 3 Thanks to synaesthesia:

elsiegee40 (29th January 2010), mark (29th January 2010), silver (29th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame View Post
    Edugeek boasts almost 22,000 members. If you take into account the number of members with a post count of 100 or more only 2.6% of members currently make regular contributions. Food for thought.
    So what, another very popular forum I use has about 13,000 members, and only 112 of them have post counts above 100 - according to you that make regular contributors only 0.8% and it's ranked at about 10,000 on alexa.

Another forum I frequent has 6,500 members and about 249 of them have post counts of over 100, makes a figure of 3.99%

Another 17,250 members with 696 of them posting more than 100 posts - makes about 4%

I could go on, but the fact it that the percentage of 'regular contributors' makes little to no difference to how 'big' the forum or organisation is. All the websites quoted are considered the best at what their forum caters for and that's what matters to me, not some meaningless statistic.

Mike.

Thank Post
    I think Edugeek is definitely far too big for its boots. Nobody comes on here really, most of the users are just bots, to make the real life users feel better.

Unfortunately the "troll bots" have been activated. Dammit.

On an unrelated note, I've heard google's quite good for answers... Let me google that for you

6. 2 Thanks to Batman:

Robz (1st February 2010), witch (30th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Reminder to self... The ignore function is there for a reason...

Reminder to self #2... Call a troll a troll and they cry foul... Why not allow them the rope to hang themselves or prove you wrong, either way you win..

Night all...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,675 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Nobody comes on here really, most of the users are just bots, to make the real life users feel better.
    Oh no, you found me out , I'm just a malfunctioning botnet that got board of writing emails about little oval pills. I'd better hope that my illustrious nigerian masters don't find me out too.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    I started reading this thread, then thought better of it. I have work to do, and i can gather the gist from reading only a few posts.

Think about this:

Forget spam, phishing, flamebaiting, trolling et al. Remember those chain mails you get, yes the ones that tell you to send it on to 11-20 of your friends in the next 20 mins and you'll have good luck, and some poor african child running around with no arms and legs will receive 0.1p from Microsoft....?

You probably wonder, i know i do, what pleasure the original sender gets from starting them, and you wonder why people still forward them, then you delete them (hopefully), happy in the knowledge you've done your bit to save the INTERnational NETwork, put a stop to bandwidth/time wasting efforts.

Don't reply, don't waste your time, what's the point? If you agree with the OP or not, posting in this type of thread serves no real purpose. I'm sure it amuses a few (Bossman ), and others get riled, and at some point people start getting nasty, and leaving bad rep etc. etc.

I say, no more posts here, let's go to more important forums, gain some tech info, leave some tech info, read a joke (mattx posts enough!), do what we originally came to edugeek to do.

Seriously, even though it's probably you're weekend, don't waste time. don't quote me, don't agree with me. go out and play in the snow, if there is any. If you are going to 'geek, then there are myriad more interesting, more important things we could all be doing...

(me for sure, and thus i depart now smiling, just a little.)

10. Thanks to vikpaw from:

BrianG (1st February 2010)

Thank Post
    Why is it I'm reminded of Bugs Life and the bit with the moths...

Don't go towards the light!!!
    I can't help it...

Pzzzzzt, Thud

12. 5 Thanks to contink:

Dos_Box (30th January 2010), GrumbleDook (30th January 2010), john (30th January 2010), kmount (30th January 2010), localzuk (30th January 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345