+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Is edugeek as large as it thinks it is? in General; I visit several times a day but tend to only post when I have questions to ask or knowledge to ...

Thank Post
    I visit several times a day but tend to only post when I have questions to ask or knowledge to share.

EduGeek is a valuable resource to 1000's IT Professionals, just because everyone doesn't have 100's of posts, it doesn't mean they don't contribute and it doesn't mean that the site isn't as large as it thinks!

2. Thanks to AdamK from:

BrianG (29th January 2010)

Thank Post
    I will tend to stay in Edugeeks in the background all the time I am at work. Got to admit that lately I have found topics like this mildly interesting but mostly pointless.

I use this site to help in my day to day work as there are often questions that arise from all the schools I support that I don't always know the answer to. Equally there are things that I may have though about doing which I can get info on. I am also more than happy to post replys to problems that others are having, as a problem shared is a problem halved.

The moderation on the site is of no real concern to me although I love the fact that this is such an open site. If there are questions regarding the income streams that the site generates then they are of little worry to me as I would expect someone to have to run the whole thing

Thank Post
    RingOfFlame is just starting these topics to get some attention and when valid points are rased no response is given because there is no valid response to give.

The majority is all anti edugeek and solicits my same question again, if you dont like it here why keep coming back?

5. 5 Thanks to CHR1S:

bossman (29th January 2010), BrianG (29th January 2010), cookie_monster (29th January 2010), maark (29th January 2010), OutToLunch (29th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame View Post
    *yawn* Good morning.

So I am to be labeled a troll? Meh. The fact some members agree with some of my musings would suggest otherwise. I was also chatting with a mod just the other evening who even agreed with some of my views. Read into that what you will.
    When you post inflammatory topics, with little substance, then fail to reply to the comments (why arbitrary numbers? what about bounce rates, lurkers etc? what about your own posting record, as a set of statistics? etc), but instead focus on the fact that someone has inferred or directly said you seem like a troll, yes, you will be labelled as a troll.

As another poster has said - if you were maybe using the site for its intended purpose - asking questions, posting answers and helping people, then maybe you'd realise that it *is* a good resource and you wouldn't spend your time posting topics such as this.

7. Thanks to localzuk from:

bossman (29th January 2010)

Thank Post
    "Thinking doesn't appear to be your strong suite. I'd stick to food."
    meow.

that's quite a catty comment someone left there.

9. Thanks to torledo from:

RingOfFlame (29th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    meow.

that's quite a catty comment someone left there.
    completely unjusitified too, I've seen her pics...

11. Thanks to LosOjos from:

RingOfFlame (29th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshJohnson View Post
    completely unjusitified too, I've seen her pics...
    Hahaha! Don't start down that route again. We've had enough of the comments about pretty women now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Hahaha! Don't start down that route again. We've had enough of the comments about pretty women now.
    Hahaha true, I don't want to be the one to start a repeat of last Friday. Sorry all!

Thank Post
    I am on Monday to Friday 8:30 till 3:30 Hardly post but look a lot.
    To me it is not relevant who has posted, more who have not logged in for say six months?

But in any case is it a problem? nah

Going back to finding answers.
    alan

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    Edugeek is such an amazing place. Every technician I talk to who doesn't know about edugeek, or at least isn't signed up to it, I always tell them to get themselves on here. The amount of times I've found an answer to something that's had me stuck for ages.

Unfortunately, as is the same in a lot of places now, people can't see a good thing for what it is. They would rather try and pull it down, upset it's users and generally cause trouble.. Why can't you leave a good thing be !!!
    Exactly! RingofFlame doesn't want discussion anyway, as you see none of the points we have raised have been answered, and even her erstwhile supporters are quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcshammer_dj View Post
    I will tend to stay in Edugeeks in the background all the time I am at work. Got to admit that lately I have found topics like this mildly interesting but mostly pointless.

I use this site to help in my day to day work as there are often questions that arise from all the schools I support that I don't always know the answer to. Equally there are things that I may have though about doing which I can get info on. I am also more than happy to post replys to problems that others are having, as a problem shared is a problem halved.
    That's what most of us do - those who have joined, lurkers, those who post, and those who don't - we all serve to make edugeek what it is - a fantastic resource for people like us to get the answers they need to enable them to do their job effectively.
    Is edugeek as large as it thinks it is?

YES

16. Thanks to silver from:

BrianG (29th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Well after reading through the post above I will agree that the percentage of active users is not a true representation of the size of the community or the importance and that edugeek is the site it thinks it is. People here like to complain that I am a troll, and they are entitled to that view. Others think I have hit the nail on the head with some points but does the mean I deserve the insults I have received?

18. 3 Thanks to RingOfFlame:

LosOjos (29th January 2010), Robz (1st February 2010), torledo (29th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have to admit to getting quite a few emails or PMs from very infrequent posters / lurkers about things ... just because activity is not in the public front of things it doesn't mean it does not go on.

Thank Post
    Well after reading through the post above I will agree that the percentage of active users is not a true representation of the size of the community or the importance and that edugeek is the site it thinks it is. People here like to complain that I am a troll, and they are entitled to that view. Others think I have hit the nail on the head with some points but does the mean I deserve the insults I have received?
    Well said, I can see why people get fired up at some of your posts, but the insults are totally unnecessary. Everybody is entitled to an opinion, but insults are pointless, sometimes hurtful and do more to make this community look bad than a few posts that others in the community disagree with.

21. 3 Thanks to LosOjos:

mark (29th January 2010), pwds (30th January 2010), Robz (1st February 2010)

Thank Post
    Others think I have hit the nail on the head with some points but does the mean I deserve the insults I have received?

Sorry, but I have just read through the entire thread and can see no one agreeing with you at all. Could you point me to the relevant posts?
    One person tells us to chill out, but apart from that every single post is in support of edugeek, explaining to you why the statistics do not reflect the real edugeek.

You are right, you don't deserve the petty insults, but neither does edugeek deserve the constant sniping that you indulge in. I'm afraid that many people don't like it and if you do it you must expect that some people will get upset.

As Witch said, if you stop now and start acting sensibly, all here will welcome you.

If not, then you must expect the worst, I'm afraid

23. 4 Thanks to silver:

bossman (29th January 2010), kmount (29th January 2010), Ric_ (30th January 2010), SteveBentley (1st February 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    Sorry, but I have just read through the entire thread and can see no one agreeing with you at all. Could you point me to the relevant posts?
    I was not referring to this post rather my posts in general.

One person tells us to chill out, but apart from that every single post is in support of edugeek, explaining to you why the statistics do not reflect the real edugeek.
    Well observed. I think you will find that in light of that I have changed my opinion. Is that not what you were trying to achieve?

You are right, you don't deserve the petty insults, but neither does edugeek deserve the constant sniping that you indulge in. I'm afraid that many people don't like it and if you do it you must expect that some people will get upset.
    Yes I would expect that people would want to shoot me down. My reputation is testament to that fact.

As Witch said, if you stop now and start acting sensibly, all here will welcome you.

If not, then you must expect the worst, I'm afraid
    Well a few posts up I did agree that I was wrong, yet here you are still berating me. Thank you for that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast