+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Is edugeek as large as it thinks it is? in General; Originally Posted by RingOfFlame Edugeek boasts almost 22,000 members. If you take into account the number of members with a ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame View Post
    Edugeek boasts almost 22,000 members. If you take into account the number of members with a post count of 100 or more only 2.6% of members currently make regular contributions. Food for thought.
    150% of all statistics are made up and you clearly have more time to worry about trivial things than is healthy!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why 100 posts? Why not 50? or 20? Why the arbitrary number you chose?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame View Post
    Edugeek boasts almost 22,000 members. If you take into account the number of members with a post count of 100 or more only 2.6% of members currently make regular contributions. Food for thought.
    You currently have 52 posts... are you not an active member?

Many people just grab what they need following a Google search. As DB said, they never sign in or even register but they still use the site.

EduGeek is a strange place, unlike other forums in many respects as it's all about the knowledge.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict View Post
    If only that were true of everyone!

It seems there are some here who only post at all when it is an opportunity to flame, troll or generally stir up trouble.

Maybe its time to remove people who never contribute anything useful?
    Why do I get the feeling I know precisely who you are referring to?

Thank Post
    That's me gone then.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    oh no

Thank Post
    Just got in from a great night out so will defend myself again before I catch some shuteye.

Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @RingOfFlame:

So all those with less than 100 posts, you would class as?
    Just chose that as an example. If you use 10 posts as an example you still only get around 8%

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    ...And besides, it's not about membership levels, it's about the knowlege within, and the traffic we receive. As we don't make it compulsory to register to get answers (which would have us at least 10 times larger in member levels than we currently are) you don't get to see a fraction of the visitors. I would suggest you stop being so literal and open your mind a little.
    So this site would have 220,000 members?

Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    well she IS american
    I find that offensive! I just made an observation regarding the membership numbers and put it up for discussion. What does being American got to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict View Post

It seems there are some here who only post at all when it is an opportunity to flame, troll or generally stir up trouble.

So I make an observation regarding the membership numbers and put it up for discussion, you do not like it so I should be removed?

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Why 100 posts? Why not 50? or 20? Why the arbitrary number you chose?
    See post above.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    You currently have 52 posts... are you not an active member?.
    I am still new but but with all the negativity when someone new asks questions or starts discussions on subjects that the majority do not agree with what is the point of becoming an active member.

Well everyone enjoy your day. Night night.

8. Thanks to RingOfFlame from:

garethedmondson (29th January 2010)

Jon
    Thank Post
    I have always been led to believe that it's not all about size ... It's how you use it that counts.

10. 3 Thanks to Jon:

CPLTD (29th January 2010), garethedmondson (29th January 2010), nephilim (29th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Did you know, ringofflame, that 3.8% of your posts could be classed as technical...

About the same again are general chat type topics.

The rest of like this one - being critical, negative or as some would say 'troll like'.

We can all create random statistics. Why do it? What value did this topic add other than being negative and critical? Does it make Edugeek a better place? Does it help anyone?

12. 6 Thanks to localzuk:

bossman (29th January 2010), contink (30th January 2010), Jackd (29th January 2010), maark (29th January 2010), powdarrmonkey (29th January 2010), SteveBentley (29th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Woah, take it easy - it was only a honest observation from RingOfFlame. This has been mentioned a few times before and everytime it does people get very defensive all of a sudden. Dunno why....chill out !!!
    Because its a mostly irrelevant point, and like it was discussed in the other threads. We dont care how many posts you have, we wont exclude you and yeh you still count. I suppose we should limit the conferences to people over 1000 posts, its a good way to grab money and keep costs down blah blah.
    Ring if you dont like edugeek or how its run or how it percieves itself or if you think we are money grabbing or have a pointless community of non posters you might as well either accept the way things are or dont, just please stop trying to post pointless threads like this that are nothing but flame bait. Its not really food for thought, its flame bait...

Others have said things like "why not deleted accounts that dont post" as well and thats another pointless argument (in case its mentioned next) as we wont be doing that anytime soon and there is nothing wrong with not posting and having a account.

This thread is going to crash and burn quickly I suspect....

RE: Your Response: You knew it was flame bait when you posted it, that is why you posted pointless things like this. I see posts by you to many times now that are too troll like and its starting to get annoying...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I have always been led to believe that it's not all about size ... It's how you use it that counts.
    Mums always tell you what you want to hear though

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame

Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict

So I make an observation regarding the membership numbers and put it up for discussion, you do not like it so I should be removed?
    If you read the post, that is not what I said at all. I said "people who never contribute anything useful" - which may or may not include you, I don't follow your entire posting history - should be removed.

It just seems there are some people who only ever post things to argue or be contentious and this is unsettling the whole community at the moment.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 754 Posts
    @crc-ict:

Seconded

17. Thanks to bossman from:

crc-ict (29th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,381 Times in 1,676 Posts
    We are NOT starting all this up again

Let's not be disingenuous here - this thread wasn't started 'for a discussion' but just to cause problems and arguments again...
    Why? ringofflame - why?

You may feel unhappy about something said to you, or feel that you are not welcome here - we can show you many many members who feel quite the opposite. If you review your posts honestly, you will see that most of them have been unsuitable or trouble-causing.
    The thing about edugeek, is if you stopped all this NOW, and joined in with the spirit of the forum, you would still be welcomed. That wouldn't happen on most of the other forums I know - you would have been banned long ago Statistics show very little, as I am sure you are clever enough to realise - and as has been said, unlike other sites, you dont have to register to get help anyway, so the true picture is different again.

You seem to be trying to puncture what you see as edugeek's self-importance...but it is people like RM, Sophos, Smoothwall, Promethean and many others who say edugeek is important - it doesnt come from within.
    This thread will end up being closed like others before it, and no doubt the mods/admins will get more flak for that - but honestly, what is the point of it?

19. 9 Thanks to witch:

CHR1S (29th January 2010), crc-ict (29th January 2010), e_g_r (29th January 2010), garethedmondson (29th January 2010), korifugi (29th January 2010), localzuk (29th January 2010), markwatkins (29th January 2010), Robz (1st February 2010), vikpaw (30th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    I suspect many members (me included) only post when they feel they have something worthwhile to say.... I read far more threads here than I could/would ever want to contribute to. In many threads I am in awe of the technical knowledge of some people and I am only too grateful to be able to tap into their knowledge for free through Edugeek.
    ^^
    what he said

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast