+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, So the iPad... in General; So the iPad, whats everyone think? Will anyone be rushing out to buy one? I know I wont be rushing ...

Thank Post

So the iPad...

So the iPad, whats everyone think? Will anyone be rushing out to buy one? I know I wont be rushing to buy one, I dont feel theres enough ground breaking features.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its a fail (see other thread ) for me. At least its not $1000 which would have been insane but tbh it seems to limited for the price. I just hope the HP kit comes with a nice UI and is cheap.
    I just expected more tbh considering how long it was rumoured to have been in dev for. 10 hours is nothing as well when it comes to batt life and like usual Apple have not made the batt interchangible.

Thank Post
    The main thing its missed out for me (please correct me if i'm wrong). Doesn't have the ability to run regular apps that you install from a cd, you can only get apps from the app store. If it was just a hardware release and ran full version of OS X then, for me it would have been a lot better. To much like the iPhone IMO

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Like an iPhone, but bigger. So less portable, can't make calls and costs you more than twice the price.

Yep, it's a winner!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Nice iDea

But lots of flaws.

I quite like my iPod touch as a handy thing to have at work and home, but I won't buy an iPad unless:

It supports flash.

It has a changeable battery, or 20 hour battery life under heavy load.

Also 64gb should have been the entry level.

I can buy apps another way!

Lets hope that a few other hardware vendors steal all of the good points and make a decent device.

One thing that makes me like it though is the iBook store, books on a itouch are rubbish, it will be interesting how easy they are to read

"So less portable, can't make calls and costs you more than twice the price", sorry webman I disagree - except for on price (Apple is equal to or greater than Overpriced). It's something to carry in a bag like a gameboy was in my day, but will do a few things more.
    Last edited by Mr.Ben; 27th January 2010 at 07:50 PM.

Thank Post
    Hmmm....

Thank Post
    i think like many people im a little disappointed, price point wise is bang on where i thought it should be and could have seen it work. Now personally i was hoping it to have some form of multi user environment (like the normal desktop o/s). that would make loaning the device and connecting it to a network with AD/OD easy peasy.

Thank Post
    Micro SIM slot, so can connect to 3G. Love to hear how much it will cost in UK, and what data cost might be in UK.

Thank Post
    I'm excited by it - I will use it to assess pupils' work. I prefer to do this by getting the pupils to show me their work on their computer where I can ask them questions. The portability of the iPad and the fact that it will run Apple Numbers (which is largely Excel compatible) will make it very useful indeed. I already store school docs on Dropbox which will run on the iPad so it is already coming together . . .

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As bad as most of Apple's kit. Will undoubtedly sell well to all the sheep/drones.
    Will be about as stable as a paperback book in the rain.
    Will be about as reliable as an estimated gas bill.
    Will be about as useful as a fish in a fire rescue.
    Lot's of Apple's favourite marketing technique - relating to a bovine and something that comes out it's behind. Like "HD Playback" - no, it's not. And like "3g" - only if you provide the necessary hardware.
    Will cost you 2x as much as the nearest useful device that can achieve all of the above and more, and probably won't burn through your lap whilst doing it.

Spot the cynic

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I can see this being the way of the future, far better than giving every child an iPod.

The idea of slate PC's is actually coming together quiet nicely - teachers can send the kids worksheets, they can run applications. I really like the way that this is going.

Now if only we could put the rest of the schools software on it, oh no, we can't - And this is why for my school, it's next to useless.
    Last edited by Mr.Ben; 27th January 2010 at 09:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scgf View Post
    I'm excited by it - I will use it to assess pupils' work. I prefer to do this by getting the pupils to show me their work on their computer where I can ask them questions. The portability of the iPad and the fact that it will run Apple Numbers (which is largely Excel compatible) will make it very useful indeed. I already store school docs on Dropbox which will run on the iPad so it is already coming together . . .
    But the question surely is if the windows 7 was was the same price why not get it and do a lot more for your money? with real excel etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yep, a number of things missing from it I would have liked to have seen but would prefer to see a class set of these to iPod Touchs.

I like the battery life for the size of device but want to see life expectancy and what the replacement plan (and costs) would be for Edu setups.

I am still waiting for Flash but am also waiting to see what happens with HTML5 on Safari.

I like the iBooks option (though I will never stop collecting hardbacks) but would like to hear if there will be a iBook reader for the desktop, mainly because if I have manuals, etc ... I like to also be able to read them on my desktop / laptop ... but having easy access via the iPad will be very nice. Failing that I still have Stanza.

The lack of user facing camera (with iChat or Skype client) is a pain as I am still looking for that handheld device that will do it nicely as well as providing the other things I like. I know a few people have asked why no forward facing camera, but I wouldn't really want one ... I want it to look at me, not become yet another camera to take pictures of sunsets.

I like the range of software on my iPhone anyway ... so happy to continue with those, and I do make a fair bit of use of iWorks so the iPad version will be nice, but I can see why it would not be a deal-maker for most.

Still trying to work out how to deal with the local storage side of things ... I manage OK right now on the iPhone with using various apps, and would still use those I suppose ... but the lack of SD slot (even MicroSD) is annoying. I have pretty much accepted that it is unlikely that Apple will change this for some time though ... but I thought that about using Intel chips or running Windows OSes natively.

The keyboard / dock is handy, it was essential on both my Palm and my Axim ... with them it was the screen size and UI that was not quite their for me. Likewise I think the case will be handy too ... not looked at those prices yet though to see what it adds on. 3G is not something I am that bothered with as most places I go I have Wi-Fi access ... and anywhere that hasn't I usually have my laptop and 3G dongle, but also looking at picking up a MiFi too ... which looks as if it could work out cheaper.

I am also no longer going to really get into the innards of the system so I am back to being a user ... the lack of ability to compile and run my own apps is no longer a block. I haven't felt the need to jailbreak my iPhone and doubt I would for the iPad either.

The price is going to be a tricky one. $499 for the base and $829 for an all singing and dancing version are reasonable prices in the US market I suppose, but the UK translation (you *can't* call it a conversion!) is going to be painful. I hope for an Edu discount that is generous and should it be circa 250 then it will be a cert ... 325 is do-able but 400 will see me waiting for the next version and sticking my cash to iPhone 4th Gen in Nov(-ish).

This is before I start looking at the educational usage of the device (some good comparison discussions going on at the moment re iPad, iPod Touchs, NetBooks and Laptops) so that might be something for the weekend.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    But the question surely is if the windows 7 was was the same price why not get it and do a lot more for your money? with real excel etc.
    Exactly, there is nothing here that (when they finally get released) the slate pc's from dell, hp etc cannot achieve, yet it's twice the price and has half the functionality.

Where as my iPhone has the same functionality as the iPad, because it fits in my pocket I can put up with its missing functions and love it.

The deal breaker will be the UI, Apple have got this sorted - Keyboards, Rotation et al, As I haven't had a chance to try a win7 PC with it yet I can't be honest!

*Edit - actually I opened my mouth a before I looked, the Hp slate is expected to retail at $1000
    Last edited by Mr.Ben; 27th January 2010 at 09:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think I'll continue in my desire to own a Viliv S7 instead. myviliv.com

I couldn't live with it being so locked to a single app service for what I want it for.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information