+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
General Chat Thread, So the iPad... in General; I actually quite like it for what i'd use it for i.e surfuing the web/reading emails in the the living ...

Thank Post
    I actually quite like it for what i'd use it for i.e surfuing the web/reading emails in the the living room, watching movies, reading books music etc in bed and generally will have a better battery life than a full on laptop and better screen than a netbook.
    The hardware itself doesnt look powerful enough to run OSX, linux etc or at least without some impact on battery life so the OS looks like a sensible option plus you undeniably get a good selection of applications within the app store. I think much like the orginal iphone it will come of age with the second generation and once developers get some good apps out designed solely for the device.

Thank Post
    Its a bit pointless, Take the iphone and then enlarge it what use does that have. Wow it can go on the internet and is probobly a pain for typing in urls etc.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Dom Joly isn't too fond of it. And he got in there quick.

4. 2 Thanks to CAM:

mac_shinobi (28th January 2010), Michael (28th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeky View Post
    Its a bit pointless, Take the iphone and then enlarge it what use does that have. Wow it can go on the internet and is probobly a pain for typing in urls etc.
    Yeah I agree , it's like a crippled iphone with a large screen that costs more and I have an iphone ( there are some things that they could improve on the iphone ie bluetooth profiles , cheaper sat nav apps etc )

They should name it something along the lines of iLack original ideas.

Personally I would much rather just get a mac book pro and if need be a 3G dongle of some description.

Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Dom Joly isn't too fond of it. And he got in there quick.
    That was brilliant !!

Thank Post
    I'm pretty tempted to be honest, I can see it fitting in with the way my wife and kids would like to use the net, control the room to room music, check their mail quick etc. They dont want macbooks or even netbooks for that matter, they consider them too much hassle. I'm off to the US at the start of April for a few days, so I might pre-order one.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    Windows 7 on a Macbook .. bah ..!

Must admit yes i love my iphone and macbook .. i resisted upgrading my iphone last year so the money that i'll was going to spend on the ipad i'll use to pay for the new iphone that will hopefully be coming out.
    Sorry to confuse you replaced my G5 Power Mac with Quad core pc running Vista (now win 7) but obviously kept the 30inch Cinema display

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Watch the guy at the cash machine when he says or shouts 'hello', it's hilarious

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Watch the guy at the cash machine when he says or shouts 'hello', it's hilarious
    yeah makes 2 of us, can just imagine that with the 3G version.... "Can you hear me now ?, what about now ? ok and now ? etc hahaha

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My 2 penneth:

With the right apps these would be so much better than a fleet of netbooks.

Apps that hook into the xml feeds of MLEs, and save student work to the VLE.

Apps that hook into MIS's

ARD on the teachers macbook that can project a student iPad onto the IWB.

WiFi only and if they are MS Exchange enabled pretty much totally securable by the host site.

These really could be it, certainly for the 16Gb Wifi only one if the above can be made true and they cost in pounds what the dollar price suggests they ought.

Thank Post
    this one made me laugh aswell
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So the iPad...-ipad.jpg  

12. Thanks to rush_tech from:

CAM (29th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Dunno if it's already been posted but I'm getting pretty sick of the self-promoting pr*tt Fry all over the BBC and the Guardian waffling about how good it is - despite all the limitations he himself admits. How much help do Apple need to launch a giant iPhone anyway? The thing looks ridiculous enough without 'aficionado's' like Fry and the sycophantic BBC giving it publicity.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Ha ha Hitler not best pleased with Steve Jobs !!!

Thank Post
    I know someone else posted a link to webpage with it on but it's so funny it deserves a direct link

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Hitler responds to the iPad[/ame]

17. Thanks to flyinghaggis from:

ZeroHour (29th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,808 Times in 2,073 Posts
    I completely agree with Fraser Speirs' comments regarding the iPad. This is a computer for people who want to get real work done and not have to deal with the additional complexity of "normal" computers. e.g. installing printer drivers, removing viruses, updating software or reinstalling the OS. Non-geeks don't want to have to deal with any of these things. They just want a computer that works. If you have ever worked on an average persons computer you will know this all too well.

Just like with the iPhone, the the first revision of the iPad is missing a few things (like an integrated SD Card slot - so you don't have to use a dongle for example). However, I'm sure the next revision will be a lot better.

For years we've all held to the belief that computing had to be made simpler for the 'average person'. I find it difficult to come to any conclusion other than that we have totally failed in this effort.

Secretly, I suspect, we technologists quite liked the idea that Normals would be dependent on us for our technological shamanism. Those incantations that only we can perform to heal their computers, those oracular proclamations that we make over the future and the blessings we bestow on purchasing choices.

Ask yourself this: in what other walk of life do grown adults depend on other people to help them buy something?
    The tech industry will be in paroxysms of future shock for some time to come. Many will cling to their January-26th notions of what it takes to get "real work" done; cling to the idea that the computer-based part of it is the "real work".

It's not. The Real Work is not formatting the margins, installing the printer driver, uploading the document, finishing the PowerPoint slides, running the software update or reinstalling the OS.

The Real Work is teaching the child, healing the patient, selling the house, logging the road defects, fixing the car at the roadside, capturing the table's order, designing the house and organising the party.

Think of the millions of hours of human effort spent on preventing and recovering from the problems caused by completely open computer systems. Think of the lengths that people have gone to in order to acquire skills that are orthogonal to their core interests and their job, just so they can get their job done.

If the iPad and its successor devices free these people to focus on what they do best, it will dramatically change people's perceptions of computing from something to fear to something to engage enthusiastically with. I find it hard to believe that the loss of background processing isn't a price worth paying to have a computer that isn't frightening anymore.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread Information