+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
General Chat Thread, So the iPad... in General; Originally Posted by theriver Actually, real geeks love BSD. Oh, hang on . . . . . Surely you mean ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theriver View Post
    Actually, real geeks love BSD.

Oh, hang on . . . . .
    Surely you mean FreeBSD ?

I think those that dont like it are missing the point, and those that love it and think its a Personal computing breakthrough are also missing the point.

Its a lovely looking desirable commodity first and foremost. It will sell, and those that have a Stephen Fry-esque need to get new toys (and the funds to pay for it) will get it.

The big question is 'will it blend'?

2. Thanks to nslc from:

synaesthesia (28th January 2010)

Thank Post
    This device I think is a typical "tie both shoe laces and trip over" job. The huge short-sightedness on Apple's part is that they've missed the perfect opportunity to make the tablet a future replacement on current netbooks (as they claim to be inferior, but carry more power - go figure). Unfortunately Apples greed on the latest iPhone boom is to try and only cash in on it and makes the iPad a side step.

I would loved to of seen a Mac OS X adaptation that incorporates the iPhone/iTouch traits and pushed more on the personal computer (rather than mobile side).

This is another newton, but the difference this time is that Apple have a whole fleet of iPhone sheep and hype to cash in on. People will buy it, but I think the tide will turn as sales slow down and the iPad turns into an iFad for the hardcore tech geeks.

iPhone users will think... why do I need a bigger device to do the same job? They won't.

Thank Post
    It's the name I don't like, is it just me or does iPad sounds more like a feminine hygeine product

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    It's the name I don't like, is it just me or does iPad sounds more like a feminine hygeine product
    Get ready for the maxiPad

Thank Post
    See, I can see these working in schools , it would be good for replacing the iTouch system that a lot of places are taking up as you could have charging bays so the pupils return them to the lockers and they charge (would be even cooler if you could get something like the charge pad station thing you can for the iPhone and selected other devices so they don't have to even plug it in, but just put it back in the locker) and then it just makes a bit more sense.

Personally, I want one, just as it would be fun to own one and see just how well it works compared to the smaller counterparts etc, but hey, there are a lot of gadgetty things I want so that's just another on the list .. lol ..

Thank Post
    I can see them getting snapped in half over someones knee here

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure someone'll hack it to put a nice, custom Linux Distro on. At that point I'll be interested. Its a nice gadget, but I've sworn off nice-to-haves for the year.

Still busy playing with Linux on my spare DS at the moment.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 805 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Meh,

it looks a nice toy, but I think they'll have to put their thinking caps on for version 2 to make it anything really desirable.

that said I bet that screen looks lush in the flesh....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,020 Posts
    Blog Entries
    iMilleniumEdition.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    See, I can see these working in schools , it would be good for replacing the iTouch system that a lot of places are taking up as you could have charging bays so the pupils return them to the lockers and they charge (would be even cooler if you could get something like the charge pad station thing you can for the iPhone and selected other devices so they don't have to even plug it in, but just put it back in the locker) and then it just makes a bit more sense.

Personally, I want one, just as it would be fun to own one and see just how well it works compared to the smaller counterparts etc, but hey, there are a lot of gadgetty things I want so that's just another on the list .. lol ..
    Does technology like this REALLY improve lessons though? Can you say that people educated before computers had a worse education? Are they currently unable to speak to eachother due to lack of blogging ability?

I think not.

I do think though, that we are raising children today, to be shut away from REAL human contact and are instead relying on technology to fill the gap IE. instant messenger and those terrible voting systems that I keep hearing about... what is wrong with a show of hands these days??!?!? Quite honestly how is a graphical tablet going to improve the education of anyone apart from Steve Job's children....

PEO
    Thank Post
    I will be buying one for the wife and I to use for pottering about etc. I personally like it. I am intrested however to see how I could use one for work.

Overall what I have seen I can see it fiting in my home. But I would like to see how far I could go with it by using it at work.... It would be good to integrate into the network, have some sort of login, and control promethean boards, take registers in the playground during fire drill etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,942 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Does technology like this REALLY improve lessons though? Can you say that people educated before computers had a worse education?
    Yes. Plainly. The technology that is available now provides a better education - this is how we make new discoveries and end up with new technology. Would people in 1800 have been able to build Concord? No, the technologies that had been taught to the people who designed and built Concord allowed them to do so.

Much like now, would people who built Concord have been able to design a TFT monitor? No...

I do think though, that we are raising children today, to be shut away from REAL human contact and are instead relying on technology to fill the gap IE. instant messenger and those terrible voting systems that I keep hearing about... what is wrong with a show of hands these days??!?!? Quite honestly how is a graphical tablet going to improve the education of anyone apart from Steve Job's children....
    By allowing the children to have always on internet access for research, having instant access to information from the school office (ie. should they be needed to go to an appointment etc...), reducing the amount of paper being used etc... Many advantages.

Thank Post
    ... thats not the same, having an interactive whiteboard didn't help people design the concorde either nor did the iPad. computers on the other hand I agree are totally useful, but its the "alternative" technologies which are developed for lessons I don't personally agree with. My point being that why would an interactive tablet be of use to a classroom when compared to alternative methods which cost a bit of ink and paper. Or why buy an interactive whiteboard to end up showing a powerpoint and using the pen to move slides along...

BTW im not saying that technology is bad, far from it, its the techs in lessons im reffering to.

Thank Post
    Disappointing and too expensive for what it is however I am sure they will make a fortune out of them. I am sure the interface is a dream to use and the screen will be of high quality (although NOT HD no matter what they say) but still no flash, no multitasking, no removable storage, no camera ... Typical apple not putting in features they could easily do ( iPhone has a camera! ) so they can release a "new" version in six months and make even more money. Still they are a business and making money is what they do so more power to them.

Richard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    By allowing the children to have always on internet access for research, having instant access to information from the school office (ie. should they be needed to go to an appointment etc...), reducing the amount of paper being used etc... Many advantages.
    For the amount of information on the Internet available, it's a huge distraction as well! Also considering that the internet is still quite not mature enough as search engines are only now becoming much more intelligent and web designs are being fused with plenty of standards and better designs (enhancing navigation). The internet can pose problems such as social issues as well (with social networking, chat rooms, instant messaging exposing more opportunity to bullying etc)

I guess it benefits some, but not all. I can't see these tablets being the total solution to enhance the game of education.

I can't wait to see one of these turn up in our office later this year when a parent gives in to their son/daughter wanting one.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information