+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
General Chat Thread, So the iPad... in General; Also remember you cant upload files in safari using the iphone. Its custom apps only and then you can only ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also remember you cant upload files in safari using the iphone. Its custom apps only and then you can only access certain areas.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Also remember you cant upload files in safari using the iphone. Its custom apps only and then you can only access certain areas.
    I was wondering about that. I assume if you create a document using the iPad version of iWork, you would either have to save it on the iPad itself, sync it to MobileMe/your iDisk or use iTunes to transfer it back to your computer when docked? Google Docs sounds a lot easier if that's the case.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    As regards to UK educational software companies, I doubt very much that they would divert resources or look at a complete re-write of their core products just because of a niche device. The iPad in education will be a non starter I'm afraid, especially once the new Windows tablets hit the shelves and that the available educational software will run on them with zero modification.
    That's true, although in time it would be nice if they eventually made the transition to using web standards instead of plugins like Flash Player and Silverlight. Mobile devices are surely going to become a lot more popular within the next 10 years and not all of them will run Windows.

I suppose at the very least Apple's iPad may put a little pressure on other tablet manufacturers to lower their prices a bit. HPs latest tablet running Windows 7 looks pretty nice, although it would be even better if it was < 500.

Thank Post
    This is interesting...

Apple has unleashed iPhone OS 3.2 SDK to developers today to prepare for the launch of the Apple iPad. The new iPhone OS 3.2 only runs on the iPad device and will not run on the iPhone or iPod Touch. The accompanying documents are said to have revealed a number of interesting features about the iPad and the latest version of the iPad operating system.

- External Display Support. iPad applications will be able to display content specifically targeted to an external display connected to the iPad via the Dock connector. This sort of external monitor support has never been allowed with the iPhone SDK.
    - File Sharing. A shared file directory is provided that will mount on your Mac or PC. This is presumably how files such as iWork documents will be transferred to and from the iPad. iPad applications will be able to access this shared directory.
    - No Multitasking. Only one application runs at a time according to official documentation.
    - Universal Apps. There will be support for universal apps that support both iPhone and iPad.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/27/...-multitasking/

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    What a waste of time !!

It's running, what is essentially, a beefed-up iPhone/iPod touch OS.
    So no multi-tasking, you can only get software from the app-store,
    No USB ports (dongles), no memory card reader (another dongle), no Display-port (yet another dongle and only VGA from what I've read).
    So this thing is essentially even more crippled than the MacBook Air.

Apple must think April 1st is sooner than we thought....

6. Thanks to mattx from:

webman (28th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Reminds me of trigger happy tv!

Thank Post
    Think ill stick with my netbook.

Thank Post
    Definately an iFad.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Definately an iFad.
    Or an iFail.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tommej View Post
    Reminds me of trigger happy tv!
    This made me chuckle.

Thank Post
    This made me chuckle .... seems MAD TV can see the future

(maybe NSFW)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs"]YouTube- Mad Tv - IPad[/ame]

13. Thanks to DanW from:

mattx (28th January 2010)

Thank Post
    My thoughts are that they have tried to make it out to be a general device but really it is fairly niche, but not in a bad way. It is an intermediate device, as they said, not an iPhone nor a laptop. Almost like a beefed up photo frame.

I would see it as a device around the house to either supplement a laptop or use instead of booting up a computer. So have it on next to you with an iBook open for research while you write up a policy/essay/document. Or playing a video while you work on something else. About to leave the house so you quickly look up something on Google Maps. Apps developed to tie into other devices around the house, to control an automated house system, sky box from another room, music system.

I think the pic someone posted of those star trek slates is the right idea, they always seem to use them for everything but they aren't for full on use.

Maybe it is the mindset we are stuck in, or maybe we aren't the demographic. I think the presentation made it confusing, especially pushing the iWork apps as if it is for business people on the move.

Just my tuppence

Thank Post
    Made me snigger:

Frantic Steve Jobs Stays Up All Night Designing Apple Tablet | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

'.....he glued nine separate iPhones to the back of a plastic cafeteria tray'

Thank Post
    Wheres the mac fanboi's when they are needed?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I feel nausious, and not just because of the bug I've had for the past day or so!

YouTube- Apple iPad Video

If only they'd stop smiling!
    Not only have Apple removed this video from YouTube but this video couldn't be played on the iPad! Apple hates Flash.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information