+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, So the iPad... in General; Originally Posted by scgf I would be using it myself. There is no way i would voluntarily use Windows - ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scgf View Post
    I would be using it myself. There is no way i would voluntarily use Windows - I hate it. Shoddy, klunky mess that it is. Currently I use my own MacBook Air at school because I won't accept a school-provided laptop, so the iPad would do what I need perfectly.
    That comment is soooooo Windows Vista

Thank Post
    i'm disappointed .. i personally would of liked it slightly smaller say 9" and running full blown OS X ... the price point is spot on ... mind you we never know what's around the corner.

I'm predicting the next apple event to be in March with the preview of iPhone OS 4

Thank Post
    good point Dan, it might be that apple has something in the works that they aren't showing us. I hope so.

I love my iphone, i love my macbook pro and i love my 30 inch cinema display (now running Windows 7 instead of vista!) i was really wanting a device bigger than the iphone but with OS X but smaller than my Macbook Pro but not as heavy as a macbook and not as expensive as an Air

Thank Post
    Windows 7 on a Macbook .. bah ..!

Must admit yes i love my iphone and macbook .. i resisted upgrading my iphone last year so the money that i'll was going to spend on the ipad i'll use to pay for the new iphone that will hopefully be coming out.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scgf View Post
    I knew I shouldn't have bothered posting in a geek forum. Geeks love Windows.
    Actually, real geeks love BSD.

Oh, hang on . . . . .

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,940 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bladedanny View Post
    The main thing its missed out for me (please correct me if i'm wrong). Doesn't have the ability to run regular apps that you install from a cd, you can only get apps from the app store. If it was just a hardware release and ran full version of OS X then, for me it would have been a lot better. Too much like the iPhone IMO
    That's because it runs iPhone OS v3.2. It was pretty obvious that the iPad going to be a bigger version of the iPod Touch/iPhone because of the latter's success.

If it did run the full version of OS X, a CD/DVD drive would still be pointless because it would add unnecessary bulk to the device, reduce battery life, increase the price even more and be another part that could break easily. With the Internet (and to a lesser extent, USB flash drives) optical drives are of little use these days. Within the next few years, I reckon Apple will remove them from other model's in their line-up the MacBook's too.

Personally, the iPad looks like the perfect computer for my parents and it would also make a fantastic remote control for my HTPC.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I feel nausious, and not just because of the bug I've had for the past day or so!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Hz8dhQw8Q"]YouTube- Apple iPad Video[/ame]

If only they'd stop smiling!

Thank Post

Thumbs down Missing Things

My Daughter would love this for home. Other then that.. I'm kind of at a loss.
    I would like to say this would be great for classrooms. But how would you manage it? How would you turn in assignments? Another problem is that a lot of educational websites use flash and also use windows video files. This would be nice if HTML 5 had already gotten rid of Flash and Video Plugins. Really disappointing because I really like how iWork is on the iPad it would be perfect for kids and maybe simplify the headache that is my fleet of MacBooks trying to connect to active directory resources. It would be nice to have one stand alone simple device that works. I wanted apple to finally make a stand alone simple appliance for web computing.

Disappointed

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I wanted apple to finally make a stand alone simple appliance for web computing.
    Agreed. My earlier comments about it being too large are my main bugbear. It's hardly a portable device, regardless of how light it is.

Thank Post
    No flash, no os x.
    It is "magical" though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanDavidWilliams View Post
    But how would you manage it? How would you turn in assignments? Another problem is that a lot of educational websites use flash and also use windows video files. This would be nice if HTML 5 had already gotten rid of Flash and Video Plugins. Really disappointing because I really like how iWork is on the iPad it would be perfect for kids and maybe simplify the headache that is my fleet of MacBooks trying to connect to active directory resources. It would be nice to have one stand alone simple device that works. I wanted apple to finally make a stand alone simple appliance for web computing.
    Apple already provide methods to lock the iPhone down in an enterprise environment. Since the iPad runs the same OS, I assume there must be a way to do this at some point in the future?

Assignments could be handed in and marked by teachers using VLEs e.g. Moodle. Other resources could be accessed via your schools' Intranet or maybe even WebDAV. Alternatively, students could connect to your Windows servers remotely using an iPhone app like Citrix Receiver.

The lack of Flash really doesn't matter too much IMO, because educational software companies are going to be clamouring to make apps and games for it via the App Store in iTunes if the iPad becomes popular. Very easy money for them! If they don't make their websites and videos compatible, then I'm sure their competitors will. Also, you can already do some impressive things in JavaScript via frameworks such as JQuery & MooTools along with CSS3 + HTML 5 so it's definitely possible to live without Flash.
    Last edited by Arthur; 27th January 2010 at 11:13 PM.

12. Thanks to Arthur from:

BryanDavidWilliams (27th January 2010)

Thank Post
    I think Apple have approached the iPad from entirely the wrong angle.

What I was hoping for was a streamlined/svelte Macbook Air running OSX with fully integrated multitouch/keyboard to replace the keyboard and mouse. That could have made it the first truly workable laptop computer without a keyboard/trackpad.

What they've delivered unforutnately is nothing more than an ipod touch with a larger screen. And given it's running the ipod OS it's never going to work as a standalone device as it doesnt have driver support for peripherals and lacks the ability to customise it or install your own software. Also will likely mean you've no easy way to copy files to and from it either so that's the music/video functionality of it pretty much nerfed aswell.

I'm pretty disappointed as I think Apple were in the position to bring to market the first viable "tablet PC" for want of a better word but all they've delivered is a niche toy which isn't going to replace any of my current devices (neither PC,laptop or phone) so I cant see any point to it!

Thank Post

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Apple already provide methods to lock the iPhone down in an enterprise environment. Since the iPad runs the same OS, I assume there must be a way to do this at some point in the future?

Assignments could be handed in and marked by teachers using VLEs e.g. Moodle. Other resources could be accessed via your schools' Intranet or maybe even WebDAV. Alternatively, students could connect to your Windows servers remotely using an iPhone app like Citrix Receiver.

The lack of Flash really doesn't matter too much IMO, because educational software companies are going to be clamouring to make apps and games for it via the App Store in iTunes if the iPad becomes popular. Very easy money for them! If they don't make their websites and videos compatible, then I'm sure their competitors will. Also, you can already do some impressive things in JavaScript via frameworks such as JQuery & MooTools along with CSS3 + HTML 5 so it's definitely possible to live without Flash.
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I can barely get most educational developers to keep there websites accessible by Safari or Firefox on a Mac I'm not sure that they will be redeveloping there content for the iPad anytime soon. For instance Plato Learning Environment in particular has been a hassle.

Do you have a way to deploy iPod Touch "images"? Trying to think about how a Teacher could manage content on 30+ devices daily.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As regards to UK educational software companies, I doubt very much that they would divert resourses or look at a complete re-rwite of their core products just because of a niche device. The iPad in education will be a non starter I'm afraid, especially once the new Windows tablets hit the shelves and that the available educational software will run on them with zero modification.

Thank Post
    Not sure about "images" of the device, but I imagine it would be easy enough to sync content with them using iTunes (using the optional dock) or the DropBox iPhone app. If most of your content is web-based then syncing data would obviously become less of a hassle.

I agree that many educational developers are behind the times, although I can see companies like Boardworks would love the sell special iPad versions of their PowerPoint presentations for just a few 1,000 pounds.

My school uses It's Learning for our VLE and they are happy to support modern web browsers (Safari/Chrome/Opera/Firefox) and operating systems like Mac OS X and Ubuntu. I only wish more companies were like them.

I think Google's Chrome OS and Jolicloud are quite similar in some ways to the iPad, but I don't see many people complaining about them.

17. Thanks to Arthur from:

BryanDavidWilliams (28th January 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information