+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, So the iPad... in General; Originally Posted by synaesthesia As bad as most of Apple's kit. Will undoubtedly sell well to all the sheep/drones. Groan. ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    As bad as most of Apple's kit. Will undoubtedly sell well to all the sheep/drones.
    Groan. I knew I shouldn't have bothered posting in a geek forum. Geeks love Windows. There's lots to do to keep it working. It gives them a feeling of power because they can sort out the virus-ridden PCs all around them, earning the respect of those who do not have the knowledge. Pah!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There's plenty of fans of either persuasion here, scgf. I have a particular dislike for false advertising and shoddy build quality, and from a hardware engineers POV Apple encapsulate both of those entirely. If I'm going to mash something with a screwdriver in a rage, I want it to either work or be cheaply repairable afterwards

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I think I'll continue in my desire to own a Viliv S7 instead. myviliv.com

I couldn't live with it being so locked to a single app service for what I want it for.
    That looks quite nice tbh. I can see its uses potentially but like the ipod touch thread went, they are limited. Apple will probably be as restrive with its app store for this device which basically limits your choices of say browser etc. Or you could get a HP tablet and do everything your windows does anyway and run a huge amount of software/browsers with all the educational software you want. I struggle to see how iPad>HP Tablet when compared with what each can do. Yeh its nice to have iWorks but its not exactly a enterprise piece of software when ever I have used it. Its nice but fisher price tbh and it uses its own locked down format by default...
    This is all before you try to get your head around locking down 100 of these school supplied devices with proper network settings and backups of pupil files etc as iPhones are not the easiest of things to move files around from. Remember most apps cant access other apps data on the iPhone.
    When its balanced out I can only see a lot more negatives for supplying these in schools then the benefits. More upkeep/management time, more hassle and less functional over netbooks/tablets/laptops. Also I wouldnt want to do long usage without the keyboard accessory as RSI would call I bet...
    Apple could though unrestrict the app store but somehow I doubt it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scgf View Post
    Groan. I knew I shouldn't have bothered posting in a geek forum. Geeks love Windows. There's lots to do to keep it working. It gives them a feeling of power because they can sort out the virus-ridden PCs all around them, earning the respect of those who do not have the knowledge. Pah!
    I thought I made a good point tbh. Other then it looking nice how does it provide better for your pupils then a full featured tablet?

Thank Post
    I would be using it myself. There is no way i would voluntarily use Windows - I hate it. Shoddy, klunky mess that it is. Currently I use my own MacBook Air at school because I won't accept a school-provided laptop, so the iPad would do what I need perfectly.

Thank Post
    I think I'll continue in my desire to own a Viliv S7 instead. myviliv.com

I couldn't live with it being so locked to a single app service for what I want it for.
    Ooh nice! Where can I get one

Edit
    Ooh - just down the road from me apparently.... http://www.myviliv.com/eng/wheretobuy/wheretobuy.asp
    Orders must be placed in non sequential bills and in plain manilla envelopes
    Last edited by Gatt; 27th January 2010 at 09:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Ooh nice! Where can I get one
    That's the only problem I'm having. The only source in the UK I've found is ebay. They come in at around 400 IIRC. There are others appearing too. Do a search on ebay for UMPC and you'll see a load of Chinese models etc...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Your right, there is lots to it to keep it working, as there is in an OSX environment when you have to run 100's of PC's. If you were in a OSX school environment, you would find you had no more power over the machine than on a Windows machine. It's called Security Management.

Personally, the management tools for Windows environments are more mature and you have more options - whilst both OSX and Windows have their good points, Macs and OSX are not main stream because of this.

Security by obscurity (and decisions by market share) is why OSX has less viruses written for it, Plus from experience it's the generally more tech Savvy (although not so much recently) that use them.

If you were a criminal, would you write a virus to steal data from machines owned by

a) the majority.

b) a minority.

I like quite a few Apple products, the iPod and iPhone were revolutionary (And i have one of almost every generation), I just think (from reading around) that everyone seems a little underwheled by this.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would be using it myself. There is no way i would voluntarily use Windows - I hate it. Shoddy, klunky mess that it is. Currently I use my own MacBook Air at school because I won't accept a school-provided laptop, so the iPad would do what I need perfectly.
    From a different angle this time, would you have liked it to have been full osx with a special skin/ui but the ability to run your osx apps as oppose to a more limited iPhone style app store?
    I would have thought strongly about buying one if it was more full osx to iphone distro and paid a little more. They could still have the custom app builds (aka ipad iworks etc) but the ability to run other full osx stuff like you do currently on your air, now that would have been a killer product imo.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That's the only problem I'm having. The only source in the UK I've found is ebay. They come in at around 400 IIRC. There are others appearing too. Do a search on ebay for UMPC and you'll see a load of Chinese models etc...
    Ergo has something similar which they demod to me recently. Really nice, but I didn't buy any for school because the cost of spare parts from Ergo is painful. And i go through a lot of spare parts.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    From a different angle this time, would you have liked it to have been full osx with a special skin/ui but the ability to run your osx apps as oppose to a more limited iPhone style app store?
    I would have thought strongly about buying one if it was more full osx to iphone distro and paid a little more. They could still have the custom app builds (aka ipad iworks etc) but the ability to run other full osx stuff like you do currently on your air, now that would have been a killer product imo.
    The abilty to plug in a usb pen/ SD Card to transfer a document would have been nice too, I'm not always somewhere that WiFi is available. The air is a far better product!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Imagine Air with a touch, roatating display to turn it into tablet mode with access to iPad apps... ooooh

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Imagine Air with a touch, roatating display to turn it into tablet mode with access to iPad apps... ooooh
    I can't, I already get told off for slobbering like a St Bernard at inanimate technology objects.....let alone just the thought of them, oooooooooooh.........

Thank Post
    I would have thought strongly about buying one if it was more full osx...
    and so would have alot of people in the creative arts industries id have guessed. The potential for it as a control surface for synths, mixers, etc would have been huge, and it would have been really competitively priced compared to the 1500+ touch surfaces you can buy. Maybe it could still do that with a remote desktop app but id have certainly preferred a full os behind it.

This was actually the first apple product ive ever been excited for... ill know better next time
    Last edited by j17sparky; 27th January 2010 at 09:50 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, I've been waiting a while for this to surface (see what I did there!), but the sad fact is that is too large. I was hoping for a 7" device about the size of the Sony ebook reader we had on the stand at BETT. That would have made a great travelling companion as it fits very nicely into the inside pocket of my jacket. Even my Acer One is smaller than the iPad. I was hoping for something I could browse the web, quickly do my email on and have some multi-media features, but it is simply not transportable.
    Time to invest in a Lenovo X series device I think, and if anyone saw Rics at BETT you will know just how small and nice they are. Sorry Apple, but I think you missed a trick here.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information