+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Sparklebox on Inside Out (BBC) in General; Did any of you see the article on Inside Out (West) last night. Large bits were filmed at BETT (on ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sparklebox on Inside Out (BBC)

Did any of you see the article on Inside Out (West) last night. Large bits were filmed at BETT (on the Wednesday looking at the lack of crowd due to snow), but it looks like Kinge has not been stripped of ownership of Sparklebox or its content. What this means is that any teacher visiting the site is actually paying this man, whilst he's in prison, as the site is ad funded!
    And teacers are begging for access to it again! There are some mirror sites out there however with 'some' content on, so it may be worthwhile reminding your staff of this before they think that all is well and good with Sparklebox.

Link to iPlayer version. The article is 10 mins in: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...st_25_01_2010/

*Bit angry aout this actually. How the judge saw fit to allow him to retain ownership of a business primarily aimed at schools I don't know.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 26th January 2010 at 07:47 AM.

2. 11 Thanks to Dos_Box:

AngryTechnician (26th January 2010), AWicher (26th January 2010), BrianG (27th January 2010), CHR1S (26th January 2010), Fonz_Valo (26th January 2010), GrumbleDook (26th January 2010), Iain (26th January 2010), ICT_GUY (26th January 2010), Jamman960 (26th January 2010), ninjabeaver (26th January 2010), stevenlong1985 (26th January 2010)

Thank Post
    The article starts at 09:26 if you want to miss out the other stuff.

Thank Post
    i gonna watch this tonight as i forgot last night....women n pizza.

Thank Post
    As Dox_Box said, why wasn't the website shutdown as well. When he gets out in 6 months all the data will be available to him again.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think the court is allowed to arbitrarily shut down someone's business for such a crime. Doing so could amount to unfair punishment - as if that business has any employees, they'd be being punished also.

Its an odd area of law really.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's the nature of the crime though. I'd cite an example but really don't need to - a paedophile running a website dedicated to resources for children in schools?
    No different to allowing one to be a lollipop person, or dinnerlady, or teacher.

Thank Post
    Perhaps I'm a Vulcan or something, but AFAIC it is completely different from someone routinely working with and thus being in a personal trust relationship with real children.

Thank Post
    I'm guessing the site will never be unblocked by any of the RBC's so it'll die off eventually anyway, I know I certainly have no intention of ever unblocking it here and hopefully the head will back my suggestion to ban teachers downloading the resources at home and bringing them in.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    Perhaps I'm a Vulcan or something, but AFAIC it is completely different from someone routinely working with and thus being in a personal trust relationship with real children.
    Exactly. He is now going to be subject to supervision (well, being monitored) with his computer use by the police for 15 years. His crime was separate to his website, so why does the website end up being part of the punishment?

An example - a child breaks a window. In punishment, he has to pay for new one out of his pocket money. That is a suitable punishment. You wouldn't take his bike off him for it...

Otherwise, what you're effectively saying is that his punishment should continue for his entire life - with no chance of a reprieve.

The idea of CRB checks is to protect children from men like him, but how can he do damage to children by running his website, whilst being monitored by police?

NOTE: I will not be unblocking the site. My professional views and what I think the law stands for are different things.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This could be an ongoing argument for quite some time. I get the points made about the site being separate from what he did, but many people think it's certainly a catalyst for him. I suspect that I would just rather be safe than sorry with things like this and not give anyone like this a margin with which to "misbehave".
    But yes, for a moment I did forget the supervised internet usage thing. I'm still intrigued as to how that works. I'm guessing all his traffic would just be logged/monitored by a central hub somewhere but is that going to be entirely effective?

For one, I hope the blocks remain in place for a long time to come. I do still feel a little uneasy about seeing the resources in schools however that's just my opinion which needs to stay in my head. The school staff are intelligent enough to think for themselves.

Thank Post
    An example - a child breaks a window. In punishment, he has to pay for new one out of his pocket money. That is a suitable punishment. You wouldn't take his bike off him for it...
    I agree about suitability but would you take the bike off him if he was using to find more windows to break and using it to getaway (this was a second offence after all). The ad revenue may be immoral but the fact that the site may have been used to gain access to children means it is far more dangerous.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Face-Man View Post
    I agree about suitability but would you take the bike off him if he was using to find more windows to break and using it to getaway (this was a second offence after all). The ad revenue may be immoral but the fact that the site may have been used to gain access to children means it is far more dangerous.
    I don't think any evidence of this was presented against the Sparklebox site - either in court, or by the police generally.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    Did they not touch on things like Facebook groups for Sparklebox with regards to access? I might have to rewatch to make sure.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am led to belive that Sparklebox has several employees who help generate content, but what my main beef is that his site generates income, not only to pay wages, but to fund his 'lifestyle'. Trips to Africa don't come cheap y'know.
    Now that has to be wrong, at least morally, and would teachers really fund this if they knew where the money went?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I don't think any evidence of this was presented against the Sparklebox site - either in court, or by the police generally.
    If I had a fetish for (say) men of the cloth and was put away for raping priests and was forbidden from any contact with the men in cassocks, and then on my release started a site that was aimed at making composing sermons easier then surely this would raise concerns?

Especially if I then tried to get people to download a toolbar that could (presumably) be later updated to harvest information from the holy computers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast