+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Sparklebox on Inside Out (BBC) in General; This may have been one of those cases where the judge (and possibly jury) we not as net savvy as ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This may have been one of those cases where the judge (and possibly jury) we not as net savvy as we in the profession are, and the links we can draw may not have been taken into consideration.
    A possibilty.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 26th January 2010 at 11:28 AM.

Thank Post
    What's all this about?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fafster View Post
    What's all this about?
    Have you been under a rock? Serously, read the first post and watch the iPlayer link. It will give you all of the information you need.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I should add though that the Sparklebox content really is first rate. My daughter often brings worksheets from school as homework. It's just a shame it's so tainted now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    If I had a fetish for <snip> then surely this would raise concerns?
    That parallel is wonky because you've missed out one level of indirection. AIUI Sparklebox is/was a site for adult teachers, not children. Dunno about anyone else's but the chances of my Y2 Sprogette spending more than a second on that site as opposed to club penguin, barbie.com, polly pocket, CBBC trying to circumvent the TV rationing, somewhere with Scooby Doo games and so on ... is nil.

What was it that media report said? Something about a risk that he could get "intimate" with teachers? If that's a route to kids in their classes, then someone really ought to have a word with the teachers: About good old confidentiality first, and the new-fangled e-safety stuff if they're too stupid to correlate the latter with what they do on the net.

Especially if I then tried to get people to download a toolbar that could (presumably) be later updated to harvest information
    If I were an RBC/whatever and thought that toolbar was a problem then all Conduit toolbars are a problem and the very first thing I'd be doing is explaining how I'd just blocked the ability of any of them to call home.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    That parallel is wonky because you've missed out one level of indirection.
    OK: a site for vicars' wives on how to support their men. Or does that not work because both parties are adults, or because it isn't providing printable materials, or...?

The salient point is that it is very suspicious that someone who has been committed for an offence should go into business with something closely related to the "temptation" that he had previously succumbed to. Would you be more suspicious of a recently-released drug dealer who got a job in a bookstore or a "head" shop?

Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    If I were an RBC/whatever and thought that toolbar was a problem then all Conduit toolbars are a problem and the very first thing I'd be doing is explaining how I'd just blocked the ability of any of them to call home.
    If it were up to me all toolbars would be banned from the school.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are a couple of risks associated with Sparklebox still as I *personally* see it.

1 - We have no idea who is really running the site.
    2 - The lack of registration for Data Protection should worry people if this is to be seen as a legit company
    3 - Kids bringing stuff home from school branded SparkleBox gives the message that the site is ok for parents to go on and have a look at stuff and possibly be in contact with the owners or others.
    4 - Whilst there was no evidence that the site was not used to store or transmit material there is still a question over the position of a site with the facilities to upload pictures of students with no clear guidance about protecting pupils.

As for Condiut ... I would only used a toolbar from a trusted source and I now no longer trust the source.

Should the site be owned by someone else, or should the team running it (who I actually feel are a bit hard done to) be a bit more open about how things are being run then it will be worth looking at.

The materials can be accessed by mirrors so the advertising revenue does not have to be an issue ... but I would not share anything directly on the site in the meanwhile.

As I said to start with ... this is a personal opinion and we are still reviewing in Northants.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    should the team running it (who I actually feel are a bit hard done to)
    Is/were there definitely staff, then? If so (and I'm assuming they didn't know about their employer) they must be pretty sad/angry.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I am led to belive there were several full time employees who created the content, and 'went to ground' when Kinge was arrested once they found out about his activities. They are totally innocent BTW!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    *Bit angry aout this actually. How the judge saw fit to allow him to retain ownership of a business primarily aimed at schools I don't know.
    I agree 100% but this is where the law needs to tightened up. As it stands there's nothing in law to stop an offender of this nature to continue to deliver services to education and I think there should be. I do find it incredible that with all the MPs out there that none of them consider this a problem
    You're right also that although he's in prison he will continue to profit, however in light of the negative publicity this opens the doors for another company to provide the same/similar resources. It's only a matter of time before this happens as I don't think many LAs will tolerate their material used in classrooms.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I agree 100% but this is where the law needs to tightened up. As it stands there's nothing in law to stop an offender of this nature to continue to deliver services to education and I think there should be. I do find it incredible that with all the MPs out there that none of them consider this a problem
    You're right also that although he's in prison he will continue to profit, however in light of the negative publicity this opens the doors for another company to provide the same/similar resources. It's only a matter of time before this happens as I don't think many LAs will tolerate their material used in classrooms.
    You expect MPs to have morals?

Thank Post

Smile

You expect MPs to have morals?
    I really do, especially for the people of tomorrow, but that's just me and why I am not an MP!

Thank Post
    If it were up to me all toolbars would be banned from the school.
    Me too.. you've had one of those IE upgrade disasters or maybe just a CC3 system where RMMC stops working, haven't you?

--

We have no idea who is really running the site.
    Or the other 100 zillion unblocked web-sites out there. Yes the use of this one is quite prevalent in schools and obviously of more immediate concern, but I strive for a world that's a bit more logically consistent: Will any of the "rules" rounded up for this one ever be applied to the rest, or will they just be reserved for sites people want rid of?

there is still a question over the position of a site with the facilities to upload pictures of students with no clear guidance about protecting pupils.
    Eh? Why is that the responsibility, rather than a voluntary kindness, of any site where you can upload stuff? I think it's the teacher's employers jobs to warn them against doing that (plus take action if ignored, well assuming they can squeeze that in before the parents torch the school).

--

As it stands there's nothing in law to stop an offender of this nature to continue to deliver services to education and I think there should be.
    Act in haste, repent at leisure. I think we've had enough rushed/open-ended-law for a while, and unless someone can put up a compelling argument explaining how this scenario puts kids at risk, I don't see the case for it. There's some serious ethical issues in play here and I don't think the answers are clear cut.

Did you catch the comment in the video about the Home Office not commenting? Could be wrong, but I guess that's about the ECHR challenge to a couple of folk (who want off) being kept on the sex offenders register. Perhaps we'd better see which way that goes before inventing more post-time-served conditions for people.
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 26th January 2010 at 05:49 PM.

Thank Post
    unless someone can put up a compelling case explaining how this scenario puts kids at risk
    Well it's quite simple really. With money generated by the website he's going abroad and pretending to have the best interest of children at heart, when in fact it's something I don't wish to put into words other than disgusting.
    To prove a point further why have LAs around the country added it to filter lists? It's all about risk assessment and although we're all pro IT here in children's interests, child safety will always be no.1.

Thank Post
    With money generated by the website
    Money can be generated in a zillion ways, so should we stop people like this ever earning any? A more satisfactory answer to this predicament was given by the police in the video.

This is just the concerned truth AIUI not deliberate argument: What you said next in that sentence looks a teensy bit defamatory and you don't have any evidence for a defence.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast