+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Open University Library in General; How's the course going for you Steve? Glad to have TMA 2 out of the way!...
    Thank Post
    How's the course going for you Steve? Glad to have TMA 2 out of the way!

Thank Post
    Its not going too bad, its a bit of a hard slog at times.

Just got the module 4 stuff - another report to write :-(

Thank Post
    Oh No!
    I looked on the site and it said block 4 would be posted on 11th June! I hope I get it earlier than that then. :-(

Thank Post
    Doing M263 at the moment, one more assignment to go and an exam.

I have 2 chemistry/science modules under my belt already from a couple years ago, S103 and S205, as well as the residentials to go with them.

OU is all about self motivation. If you're not easily motivated, and find it hard to stick at something, it's not for you.

And what's this about tesco vouchers and the OU? I've not heard about it...

Thank Post
    I think they have finished.

The T215 is a new course and there have been a couple of minor issues but all in all I would say that it has been ok. The self motivation isn't a problem or I certainly wouldn't be doing distance learning.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NikChillin View Post
    I think they have finished.

The T215 is a new course and there have been a couple of minor issues but all in all I would say that it has been ok. The self motivation isn't a problem or I certainly wouldn't be doing distance learning.
    From what I remember, you can use Tesco Clubcard Vouchers to pay for Level 1 courses but not levels 2 or 3. This caused quite a stir amongst the students - many of whom would not have started courses if they knew this was happening. The OU said that the scheme was only meant to run for two years anyway.

There was a cut off date up to which you could use CC vouchers to pay for Level 2 courses and I managed to get enough in to pay for one of the 750 modules on Level 2. Thank god for that.

Still I believe the OU finance option is very attractive and will be looking at that sometime in the new year.

T175 has just been confirmed as a pass and I have three assignments left on 123 - the dreaded maths module. Luckily I've been getting some tutoring from a mate of mine who teaches in the school. If you can get any sort of tutoring with bits you are stuck on then great stuff.

As for the support - I mentioned First Class in an earlier post. T175 and 150 used that but now we use the web for M123. For online tutorials we use Elluminate which is a Java based application and is a sort of interactive whiteboard with chat application. It's good when everyone gets their speakers and microphones sorted.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Had my letter to say I have passed M150, so have cashed that and T171 for the Certificate in Information Technology and Computing ... but probably going to work on an Open Degree (with Hons) rather than a discreet degree. There just isn't a combination of what I want to study that works for me. I'd rather study a broad but linked range of courses.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to miss First Class, mainly as it has been a fantastic conference system, allowing for offline use as well as having a broad range of tools which could be well tailored. Elluminate is quite good, a bit more handy that FlashMeeting, but still not as good as LiveMeeting IME ... but that costs more.

I haven't signed up for any courses this year (paying for them myself and still waiting to see how my finances sit with my appeal against the pay review in Northants still awaiting) but hoping to go for TM128 if I find out in time. If not ... a few 10 point courses perhaps whilst I still try and make OU understand FITS as a course to be credited.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12