View Poll Results: I Edugeek becoming FaceBook?

Voters
110. This poll is closed
  • Yes

13 11.82%
  • No

42 38.18%
  • Maybe

17 15.45%
  • Lady Ga-Ga

26 23.64%
  • What's FaceBook?

12 10.91%
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Is Edugeek becoming FaceBook? in General; if it is like facebook do we get a dislike button...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    if it is like facebook do we get a dislike button

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    if it is like facebook do we get a dislike button
    Only if 1 million people join the group!!

Thank Post
    hahaha!! general chat should be for general chat.
    and technical forums for technical issues - this is well stated on the toolbar at the top.
    why is there any confusion over that?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
    and technical forums for technical issues - this is well stated on the toolbar at the top.
    Because the site is proclaimed to be professional, when its grossly not. Even our general chats should be to the point without all the micky-mouse-ness.

And "site" implies everything, and all content, even "General". I don't see how a discussion about being Frisky is warranted, or even professional.

5. Thanks to ahuxham from:

Netman (25th January 2010)

Thank Post
    well as much as I apprecaite I cant please everyone - the majority did enjoy my Frisky Friday thread- it was light hearted and a bit of fun on a Friday. I'd like to think I put a smile on at least someones face

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 2,021 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh come on people. Do we really want this site to become *just* technical stuff? It is quite simple - if you don't like a post, don't read it or comment on it! If people who didn't like such posts just ignored them, then there would be less of this nonsense going on.

Yes, it is a professional site, but at the same time - we're all human! We all need to unwind sometimes!

8. Thanks to localzuk from:

Danielle (25th January 2010)

Thank Post
    It is pretty simple, maybe some people like the debate. Im quite suprised that people are still arguing about it.

Thank Post
    If this site was strictly professional there wouldn't be a 'Behind the Red Door' forum as that in itself is usually a place to have a nice venting session about boss/company/users.

I'd agree that the technical forums are the professional side but the general forums are more lighthearted and should be viewed that way.

If you go completely professional, you lose the community spirit then start charging for tech help like experts-exchange.

I'd wager alot of Edugeek's success was due to being able to relate/communicate with like minded individuals, not the consumate professional.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Oh come on people. Do we really want this site to become *just* technical stuff? It is quite simple - if you don't like a post, don't read it or comment on it! If people who didn't like such posts just ignored them, then there would be less of this nonsense going on.

Yes, it is a professional site, but at the same time - we're all human! We all need to unwind sometimes!
    exactly, i don't like the mac section as i don't like mac's so i don't look at it!!!
    Last edited by glennda; 25th January 2010 at 06:48 PM.

12. Thanks to glennda from:

localzuk (25th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    If this site was strictly professional there wouldn't be a 'Behind the Red Door' forum as that in itself is usually a place to have a nice venting session about boss/company/users.

I'd agree that the technical forums are the professional side but the general forums are more lighthearted and should be viewed that way.

If you go completely professional, you lose the community spirit then start charging for tech help like experts-exchange.

I'd wager alot of Edugeek's success was due to being able to relate/communicate with like minded individuals, not the consumate professional.
    well said

Thank Post
    There isn't any confusion - but surely inane chat is better off on facebook or any other site intended for that... whereas this forum is intended for IT professionals working in education and should in my opinion be mostly technical, not a cross between the school playground and BETT! Like others, I am getting very bored of all this now...

15. 2 Thanks to Netman:

ahuxham (25th January 2010), sparkeh (25th January 2010)

Thank Post
    well as much as I apprecaite I cant please everyone - the majority did enjoy my Frisky Friday thread- it was light hearted and a bit of fun on a Friday. I'd like to think I put a smile on at least someones face
    I don't know how you can possibly say that 'most' people enjoyed your thread. Obviously the people posting to it were, in the main, people who enjoyed it but you have NO idea how many people were avoiding it or even complaining by reporting it or pming to mods and admins.
    Remember how many people there are on Edugeek. There is a minority who enjoy pointless innuendo and complete nonsensical arguments, but I think you will find that there are many more who do not. I personally like the 'General Chat' forum but as has been said, this is not Facebook. Previously we seem to have been able to have a light conversation about cars, or whatever, with humour and banter thrown in, that has stayed on topic, had little sleaziness and not upset anyone with nasty pointed remarks or spiteful comments.

I would very much like to get back to that.

As someone who represents a company, Danielle, you might like to remember all the other edugeeks out there who have extensive buying power, but who don't appreciate this sort of thing

17. 3 Thanks to silver:

ahuxham (25th January 2010), Netman (25th January 2010), sparkeh (25th January 2010)

Thank Post
    I haven't said I wasn't pleased by it, just the context and manner it all got out of hand. I thought it was light hearted and no ill intentions were meant, and your right, many people smiled about it, which is good, but were constantly hammered about being a professional site, and it needs to be kept along those lines.

I just thought it all got out of hand, as many a thread previously have, and not very professional.

I do enjoy the fact that your thread was probably the quickest and most viewed thread in such a short time on EduGeek, over 2000 views and 14 pages of replies in less than two hours

Talk about your expectations, what you want to gain, ask technical questions, find out what makes us "geeks" tick and the rest, not promote your indepth feelings at the moment.

My opinion, none of it really matters, as it is my opinion after all, only valid to myself.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 2,021 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    As someone who represents a company, Danielle, you might like to remember all the other edugeeks out there who have extensive buying power, but who don't appreciate this sort of thing
    Whilst at the same time, there are plenty of edugeeks out there who *do* appreciate such things. So what's your point? It seems that your only argument is that you didn't like it. So why did you not just ignore it? The BBC News site has articles about all sorts on it, but it also has a sports section - something I don't consider to be at all news worthy. I don't go reading all the articles and then complain to the BBC about it...

20. Thanks to localzuk from:

Shane (26th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    you cant please everybody

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast