View Poll Results: I Edugeek becoming FaceBook?

Voters
110. This poll is closed
  • Yes

13 11.82%
  • No

42 38.18%
  • Maybe

17 15.45%
  • Lady Ga-Ga

26 23.64%
  • What's FaceBook?

12 10.91%
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Is Edugeek becoming FaceBook? in General; Originally Posted by JoshJohnson General Chat - From what you think about Billy G to what you think about your ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshJohnson View Post
    General Chat - From what you think about Billy G to what you think about your favourite beer.

That forum makes NO claim to be for professional discussion, so what's the problem? If you don't want social chat, stick to the technical forums, it's not difficult...
    good comment

2. Thanks to Danielle from:

LosOjos (25th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 835 Posts
    If it's really becoming that much of an issue for people and mods are starting to worry, couldn't the iSpy page (I presume that's what's annoying people as they wouldn't look at General Chat otherwise) be updated so that users can set preferences as to which forums they want to display updates from?

It'd take a bit of work but it'd stop the whingeing...

Thank Post
    well you get the idea of what im saying but meh

richard_s
    General Chat - From what you think about Billy G to what you think about your favourite beer.

That forum makes NO claim to be for professional discussion, so what's the problem? If you don't want social chat, stick to the technical forums, it's not difficult...
    Here Here

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,193 Posts
    Blog Entries

No it doesn't claim to be anything else. But what is this site supposed to do? I would say from the tag line "The IT professionals lifeline" that it helps IT professionals in their day to day business. Therefore shouldn't the focus be on the technical stuff? Also some of the off topic stuff going on recently has actively prevented the site from fulfilling its intended goal. Do we want the admins and mods tied up refereeing pointless arguments? I don't. I would rather they were getting on developing things that are actually going to help us.

Go to most forums with a specific focus and the general chat is a small part of the forum. Ok, the fact that we have such busy off topic business means that we have a thriving community which is good, just don't have that to the detriment to what we are actually here to do.

Quote Originally Posted by stratisphere View Post
    maybe update the front page to ignore general chat forums? Or have a separate box for the threads from those boards?
    Good idea.

7. Thanks to sparkeh from:

witch (25th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Here with DMcCoy on the matter. Alot of the new content is very cringe worthy, and there's lots of self loathing on the site. Lets take this afternoons header. I couldn't care less who's birthday it is. Microsoft doesn't update when its Steve Ballmers birthday, nor do many other websites online the same content.

What do labour call it? Cronyism? (Sp)

Professionalism should transfer to everything on the site. Unless you specify, well the technical forums are professional the rest isn't so we're half a professional site.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    I dunno, i enjoy a bit of banter squeezed in between the serious stuff, makes me smile. But as said above as long as people dont start to take the and we end up with what we did the other day! lol
    Ohhh what did I miss?

Thank Post
    As long as we don't go down the "Hugz n' Kissez" route that forums like Money Saving Expert do then I'll be happy. Though I do struggle to see the point of having a "thanks" function.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    It would be a shame to see members like DMcCoy put off the site as people like him make valuable contribution to the technical knowledge of the site. His posts have helped me on numerous occasions.
    Shame is too soft a word actually, it would be a real blow to the site.

For my tastes, the site has become too socially slanted recently. It is frustrating to post a question about a technical issue you are having to see it quickly slide off the front page due to the "Have you seen this amusing website" and "Lets have a chinwag about some trivial issue" threads and thus not have a great chance of being answered. I am not saying that those threads don't have their place but shouldn't overwhelm the genunine technical questions that people need help with.
    My chinese post on Saturday night probably didn't help - but it was in the General Forum :-)

GJE

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 835 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    I do struggle to see the point of having a "thanks" function.
    I think this is valuable in identifying members who can be relied on for useful information, that's my opinion of the thanks function.

Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    My chinese post on Saturday night probably didn't help - but it was in the General Forum :-)
    Exactly, the General forum, for general chat, I see no problem with that. Unless the posts are discussing illegal activity or are filled with pron (just in case you have any sensitive filters out there!), I can't see the harm done.

I know that I personally would feel more comfortable asking for help and advice from a community I feel I know and trust than a community full of people who post the facts, the facts and nothing but the facts.

I have Wikipedia for that!

Thank Post
    Though I do struggle to see the point of having a "thanks" function.
    It contributes to your reputation, shown on the left, to make it easy to identify members that have made the most useful posts in the past. The definition of 'thanks' is loose though, it also gets used for funny, witty, complimentary etc. posts.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post

GJE
    As I have said, I am not in any way advocating a ban on any chat that is not strictly technical.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    It contributes to your reputation, shown on the left, to make it easy to identify members that have made the most useful posts in the past. The definition of 'thanks' is loose though, it also gets used for funny, witty, complimentary etc. posts.
    But there are certain cliques on this forum, that seem to thank certain folk no matter what they post. Thus making it a pointless addition.

I have used it myself a few times though.

Thank Post
    But there are certain cliques on this forum, that seem to thank certain folk no matter what they post. Thus making it a pointless addition.

I have used it myself a few times though.
    Quite, which is why it's only worth 5 rep points. When proper reputation is given, its value is based on the giver's own reputation.

Thank Post
    I think the difference with here and Facebook is that with the latter you're communicating with people who (in the main) you already know offline or through some other medium.

Here, you're communicating with total strangers, many of them using pseudonyms (nothing necessarily wrong with that) and some who appear to just be here to troll and "flame" people (see what I did there?) without making much of a contribution to the main business of the site.

One site I know of changed its policy a number of years back and required all members to have an account in their own name, verified by using their work (etc) email address. Seemed to focus the minds of some of the more troublesome posters into taking more time to think before they posted. If this is a "professional" site, maybe it's something that could be considered here?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast