+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, How much printing does your school do? in General; Originally Posted by enjay Not sure you'll ever get a single number representative of acceptable printing, as every school defines ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Not sure you'll ever get a single number representative of acceptable printing, as every school defines the word acceptable in a different way.
    I'm not really after that, I was more curious to see how we compared to other schools, as I've never run print management properly at any of the other schools I 've worked at.

A lot of the suggestions you've made are actually things we already do. There's a copy limit of 3 copies on printing, any more than that and staff should be photocopying. There's department printing budgets set at 1000 pages per department per term apart from Business and Enterprise who get double. Staff are also quotad, the only people who aren't are the admin team, LRC and Senior teachers, although they still have the 3 copies restriction apart from our admissions officer and exams officer who both do mailmerges. Also there's a 60 second restriction, print the same document within 60 seconds and it gets rejected by the print queue. I also have a documentxx blocked so students have to save their work in word before they print.

I'm very surprised by the figures coming from some people, absolutely astounding amount of printing some schools do!

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Yeah, we run PaperCut MF here which integrates with our 2 Ricoh copiers, so I get the whole number for the school. (I also end up managing the copier contracts too).
    I looked into this, but we have Toshiba and Konica Minolta copiers, which Papercut doesn't integrate into easily, it was going to cost too much so we've left the photocopying out of it for now. When our contract comes up for renewal we will look at getting copiers which allow this system to integrate easily and manage the copiers using papercut as well.

Mike.
    Last edited by maniac; 25th January 2010 at 09:51 AM.

Thank Post
    We've done 140,000 (including admin) pages in 9 months, reduced massively since I put Papercut NG on the system. We were getting through 4000 yield toners in a week in some rooms before.

Thank Post
    Since September when PaperCut started monitoring networked printers we've printed roughly 150,000 pages. Not including the photocopiers! From that staff have printed 96,000 pages

Still haven't got around to setting up PaperCut to log all of the stand alone printers.

Thank Post
    Just putting in Pcounter now so cant tell you the number of prints, but i can tell you how many copies a single photocopier has done since we put it in 7 days ago; 19,000!!

I believe the total number for a year is somewhere around the 750,000 mark.

1100 place school

Thank Post
    We did 260,000 pages last quarter - mostly by staff.

Its my contention that the only way to get staff to be responsible is to make them responsible by charging the costs back to their departments - but SLT won't wear it here - for some reason...

Thank Post

Over a million pages

I did a small sample survey of some schools I know before Christmas (getting ready for my cost-saving session at BETT) and it seemed that over a million copies isn't unusual for a secondary school, including both the printer and reprographics.

The easiest way people find to get the answers was to persuade somebody in the office to add it up from the stationery orders/invoices. That'll give you a good overall figure to go from. Then you can work out what goes through your printers, and what goes through reprographics.

Typically reprographics is 1/6 of the cost of classroom laser printing, so by doing this work, there's a way of going back to the SLT and suggesting how you can save them money.

Sadly, because in some schools it's regarded as "somebody else's budget", it doesn't get looked it holistically, but there's nothing it being done.

Many schools are spending more on paper & photocopying/printing than on the their ICT - but there's tons of ways the ICT systems should be reducing the amount of paper used up.

Just realising, 1,000,000 copies over 1,000 students is 1,000 sheets a student a year! That makes it seem even bigger

Thank Post
    We're on about 90,000 prints since July last year (when we installed PaperCutNG). That also includes admin but not the photocopiers in repro.

James

Thank Post
    I have been asked to attend a meeting tomorrow about printing costs etc...
    So did a quick report on PCount... since Sept '09, 85542 (staff room alone is nearly 10k!)

Been trying to get the school to change the funding for prinitng for ages, as the IT dept is paying for 2/3 of it.

Gary

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfleming View Post
    Sadly, because in some schools it's regarded as "somebody else's budget", it doesn't get looked it holistically, but there's nothing it being done.
    That's part of the problem here - photocopiers are admin's responsibility, printers are IT's. Just to confuse matters further, paper is bought centrally by admin, whether for printers or copiers. We havae recently started taking a more "top down" view of things though.

Thank Post
    Since September our school (roughly 1300 students & 130 staff) has done a total of 211,249 sheets. Once again we're using Papercut to manage printing.

Thank Post
    I work with J17Sparky, we did a rough audit before just putting in PCounter... total site figures were around this per month:

Mono Photocopying - 158,835
    Mono Printing - 13,333
    Colour Copying - 666
    Colour Printing - 4167

Hopefully reducing this now that they see on screen they have very little money left in their electronic pot.

Thank Post

A bit more context

Finally, I've reached Day 7 of the my Top 10 ICT Money Saving Tips series on my blog, which is all about printing. I always knew today was the day to write about printing, so it was strange to see the thread start at the same time! Anyway, I've added a lot of detail following my contribution here earlier, and it's all laid bare for you to read and debate with!
    Microsoft UK Schools News Blog : Top 10 ICT Money Saving Tips ? 7 ? Stop printing so much

One respondent commented that 1.2 million sheets of paper seems a little on the low side, and they constantly come across a 2 million figure. (BTW Thanks for the EduGeekers that contributed to this work)

The whole series is based on the presentation I did at BETT (by the very same name!), and the reason I did it was that many network managers are saying that their budgets are being cut - at the same time pointing out how much money they could save the school if they aren't.

Up to article 7, it looks like there's a 200,000+ saving per year possible. But much of that money is in somebody else's budget - printing, electricity, cover staff - and that may be at the root of the problem.
    How many schools work is that they look across the budgets, and say "cut it 10%" - but without necessarily seeing the opportunity to change the way things are done across the budget silos. So the whole point of the series is to help find ways for network/ICT managers to be able to describe the ways that they can help the rest of the school budget (eg spend a bit of money on virtualisation software, save 20,000 on electricity; or spend a bit of money on upgrading to current software, save 15,000 by dropping other software).

I recognise that it's very self-serving doing this, but the logic stands up here. If you could save your school significant lumps of budget on things it thinks it can't save on, then you're helping. Especially if that saving isn't in the ICT budget

Thank Post
    i've just worked out our cost per page on an OKI c5650,

OKI C5650n
    Data from humanities sep09-jan10
    Cyan 0% (2k)
    Magenta 40% (2k)
    Yellow 40% (2k)
    Black 50% (8k)
    Cyan drum 74%
    Magenta drum 74%
    Yellow drum 74%
    Black drum 55%
    Belt 85%
    Fuser 86%
    Mono page count 4662
    Colour page count 3494
    Working on reams being 1.75 (jhs 5/3/09)
    Allowing 45 per toner, 35 a drum, 60 a fuser and 60 a belt, the total cost of consumables used is; 210.50 for 8156 prints, making it 2.58p per page average.

See attached spreadsheet for calculations.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,680 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A bit late but for a 450 child primary school last year we got through 79,999 pages 29275 in colour and 650 in A3. That is just the monitered network printers, there is probably an equal amount that is printed on the classroom inkjets.

Photocopying is not included either.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    That is just the monitered network printers, there is probably an equal amount that is printed on the classroom inkjets.

Photocopying is not included either.
    I have a similar problem of various unmonitored printers and copiers which someone else manages (as I know lots of others do too); plus of course people needing scrap paper for a class, so taking paper from the printers. Perhaps a more accurate way to establish how much we're all doing would be to ask whoever does the buying how much paper they buy - that number might be remarkably different from how much has actually been printed!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast