+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, ISP for Home in General; Originally Posted by bossman @Hightower: Do you know who has their equipment in at the local exchange as this could ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @Hightower:

Do you know who has their equipment in at the local exchange as this could be a governing factor.

If for instance like me you have such as talk talk who have enabled LLU at the exchange then you can get free unlimited (fair usage policy) tagged with your phone calls at a fair price and I must admit for me living in the sticks it has been fantastic as I live quite a few kilometres form the exchange and get 3Mb download and 640Kb upload bandwidth.
    The facilities at your local exchange can be checked here:
    SamKnows Broadband - Availability - Exchange Search

A

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Be* Internet (on LLU enabled exchange)

Thank Post
    Even though I see a lot of moaning - I have personally found Virgin's cable BB to be very solid - the TV & phone is well overpriced though

Thank Post
    Has anybody used the Post Office for phone/broadband? If so what's it like? Prices don't seem too bad.

Thank Post
    I can't recommend SKY enough at the moment. I have been with BT from day one, but recently switched to SKY as BT couldn't get as high a speed as SKY from my Exchange (Weird eh?).

Any way, it's 18 a month less than BT for me for BB, all inclusive calls and line rental, I'm getting 13mb downloads with no traffic shaping, and truly unlimited use, with 1.2mb up.

I was only getting 9mb down at first, so I rang TS and they did everything they could (including a new free router) to get me up to the maximum speed my line would take. Great CS. I was supposedly on unlimited with BT as a 10 yr 7yr customer, but my connection is far better and more reliable now.

Thank Post
    Do Sky offer just phone & bband, or do you have to take TV too?

Thank Post
    No you don't need TV I don't think.

Thank Post
    I've just signed up to o2. If you have one of their mobile phones you can get broadband for 7.50 a month.

You also get two months free and a 50 rebate via Where Savvy Shoppers Save - Cashback - Quidco (who will take the first 5 of earning for a year).

All in all my broadband will be costing about 30 this year.

Oh and the performance is better then plus.net. I';ve never had BT broadband on my line so I can't comment on it. I the past however I've found the expensive and not that special.

Having broadband on your phone bill should in theory make it easier but in practice caused me all sorts of problems.

9. Thanks to K.C.Leblanc from:

Hightower (21st January 2010)

Thank Post
    I highly recommend O2 Broadband (If available in your area /exchange).

Standard Package
    7.50 per month
    for O2 customers

12.50 per month
    for all other customers

Up to 8 meg download speed (subject to location)
    McAfee security software
    100 free web texts per month

Premium Package
    10 per month
    for O2 customers

15 per month
    for all other customers

Up to 20 meg download speed (subject to location)
    McAfee security software (for up to 3 computers)
    200 free web texts per month

Pro Package
    17.50 per month
    for O2 customers

22.50 per month
    for all other customers

Up to 20 meg download speed (subject to location)
    Dedicated Customer Service Number
    McAfee security software (for up to 5 computers)
    500 free web texts per month

I've been with them for over 2 years, and the service and Free (from landline, or O2 Mobile which is handy when they say unplug the landline ) UK Technical Support is fantastic.
    If you have an O2 Contract Mobile (or O2 PAYG, topping up 10 per 3 months) you will get 5 off a month.

They are currently offering 2 Months free PLUS If you order via Quidco or TopCashback you can get upto 125 Cashback. (TopCashBack don't take the first 5 off your earnings per annum like Quidco).

In addition O2 are launching O2 Home Phone from March, prices starting from 9.50 per month with unlimited evening and weekend calls, or 12.50 per month with unlimited anytime calls including 20 International countries. You may want to hold off until then incase they do opening offers for combining Broadband and Home Phone (or O2 Home Phone appears on Quidco / TopCashBack so more savings to be made!).

I know that every ISP claims (incorrectly) unlimited downloads, but O2 is amongst the best (as with BE) with no traffic shaping / restriction at certain times etc.

To maximise your internet connection, try and connect your router to the Master Socket, and disconnect the bell (ring) wire. See here plus if you must have extensions, use CAT5E cable!
    Last edited by MYK-IT; 21st January 2010 at 03:22 PM.

11. Thanks to MYK-IT from:

Hightower (21st January 2010)

Thank Post
    I'm not convinced about O2. I recently recommended someone else to somebody who was with O2 at the time, and getting poor traffic rates in both directions. Since his neighbour didn't, we suspected back-haul at the provider and sure enough, it got a million times better with a provider change.

He was out in the sticks which may have been a factor, but so is his neighbour obviously. So whether O2 have just over-sold capacity in that area, I don't know. But I recommended Goscomb, who are small but that does at least mean you speak to someone with a clue (and friendly, and English, and so on). No scripts in sight

Thank Post
    I've just phoned the Post Office and they did a line check there and then. She said the line was connected but not active and they therefore can activate it for free. Thanks for the suggestion, but to be honest for 12 a month including line rental, free evening and weekend calls, and free weekend calls to mobiles and international calls too I might just stick with them!

If the service is bad there's no contract length so I can swap at any time. If not, I'm on to a winner, especially considering most companies charge 10 or 11 for line rental.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    My BT broadband is absolutely RUBBISH. I am totally pigged off with their overseas call centre (India) and and am fed up to the back teeth with them. I am fed up with going through the same things time and again, have upgraded the router, used my next door neighbours router and his spare. The engineer who visited prevented the line from dropping so regularly and got me up to 2.5 Meg which lasted 10 days and now I'm back to 0.73Meg. I've run out of patience with them and wish I knew what argument to try with them next. BT Broadband and BT phones are run as separate businesses and they play you off against each other. Neither accepting responsibility for any problems

My next door neighbour gets 5.5Meg, I get 0.73 Meg and am told they can't do anything. I am looking forward to moving to Sky as soon as my contract with BT expires. It cannot be any worse.

/rant over

Feel a bit better now... I wouldn't touch BT with a barge pole if there's the slightest chance of problems, in case you hadn't gathered.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MYK-IT View Post
    To maximise your internet connection, try and connect your router to the Master Socket, and disconnect the bell (ring) wire. See here plus if you must have extensions, use CAT5E cable!
    Oh, that reminds me: opening and tampering with the master socket is not permitted because BT own it. They are responsible for everything up to and including the master socket; after that it's fair game. Their responsibility is what you pay line rental for.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    I had bt broadband was total rubbish, they only said that we could get an up to an 8mb conenction as to far away from the exchange, 02 said we could get 17mb, we do only get 13mb but it shows bt just either didnt have the equipment at the exchange or where fobbing us off! so we swapped over and its been fine (there DNS servers are rubbish but so are most ISP's!) using google atm and its fine. there support is ment to be excellent aswell. a ex co-worker of mine was having real problems live 400m from the exchange as was only getting about 500kb/s! but they sent out an engineer who found a fault in the cable coming into the house (bt's cable) o2 had them out the cable repaired/replaced and he was getting 16mb!!

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Sky are good, I put my parents on that, also Zen Internet are good

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast