+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Inappropriate Wireless SSID near a school! in General; Hi I have just had a call from one of the schools I support who have an interesting problem regarding ...

Thank Post

Inappropriate Wireless SSID near a school!

Hi
    I have just had a call from one of the schools I support who have an interesting problem regarding wireless.

They say that they can no longer give out the laptops to the students to use as a nearby house has a wireless network with an SSID that is not a suitable phrase to be displayed in a primary school!!

Has anyone else come accross this type of problem before or does anyone know a way to stop students logged onto a laptop displaying the list of available wireless networks near them?

Thanks in advance!

Martin

Link Removed - No Need to Add URL to your Company on Posts
    Last edited by EduTech; 20th January 2010 at 03:48 PM.

AIT
    Thank Post
    use group policy to disable the ability of users configuring wireless.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mtillbrook View Post
    Hi
    I have just had a call from one of the schools I support who have an interesting problem regarding wireless.

They say that they can no longer give out the laptops to the students to use as a nearby house has a wireless network with an SSID that is not a suitable phrase to be displayed in a primary school!!

Has anyone else come across this type of problem before or does anyone know a way to stop students logged onto a laptop displaying the list of available wireless networks near them?

Thanks in advance!

Martin

Cybersupport (UK) Ltd - IT Support for Local Businesses and Schools in and around Slough

If its truly offensive - and by that - its covered under the race relations act etc, thats something for the fuzz. Then there is the possibility of public nuisance laws - as it is being publicly broadcast it should be covered.

Otherwise given the rage the school could start with a mail shot, or possibly an item on the local news.

Then your into being over protective of students - without knowing the exact SSID I cannot comment, but damaging education on the basis would suggest its very serious (see point at top) or its over reacting.

Lastly I do think you can lock of the WiFi in much the same way you can withhold the control panel under GPolicy. There are options under Ranger as well - I doubt thats being used here tho.

And of course your could always post the SSID to the local hacker sites for them to play with (JOKE)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    It is a growing problem with people using strange SSID names. I suppose the school could track down the address as the signal would get stronger I'm not sure where the school stand legally however or whether it can be insisted it should be changed.

Thank Post
    crack the WPA key

login to the router, change the WPA/WEP key.

change the SSID

change the password.

redirect all DNS to a spyware site.

6. 3 Thanks to andydis:

djones (20th January 2010), ICT_GUY (20th January 2010), nephilim (21st January 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andydis View Post
    crack the WPA key

login to the router, change the WPA/WEP key.

change the SSID

change the password.

redirect all DNS to a spyware site.
    lol, yeah I'm not sure thats the best way to go about it but i like your thinking!!

I have had a look in group policies but can't find a way of doing it without disabling the wireless altogether which wouldn't be very useful!!

Any thoughts?

Thank Post
    how are the kids accessing the wireless settings? Could you not just hide the notification area and network connection link in the start menu?

Hide notification area is in User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Start Menu and Taskbar
    Last edited by AJT1; 20th January 2010 at 04:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would try and track it down and then quite word asking them if it is possible if they could change it and offer your service this one time to help them if they need it.

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 753 Posts
    @mtillbrook:

Could you not preset the wireless configurations on the laptops using GPO or better still get some management software which will only allow the laptops to be configured with the school setups and therefore wouldn't show the SSID from this ignorant person.

Talking to this person may only inflame the matter and if he/she has a grudge against the school in the first place for whatever reasons it will only incite them to do more to disrupt the school.

Thank Post
    it is worth noting that many of the kids may be fully aware of this if they have devices like the ipod touch or wireless enabled phones.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wave Bubble ?

Almost definatly illegal but it would get the point across quickly that you were not ammused. If it was close enough to the source it would block it but not interfear too much with your signal.

Disclaimer: This is meant as humor not a recommended cource of action

I would suggest attempting to find the offending broadcaster using NetStumbler or its Windows Mobile counterpart also avalible free from the site to try and narrow it down with a bit of a walk about and then get the school to get into contact.

If that does not work there are always wireless APs avalible with rogue AP isolation to help stop people connecting to it and ruin their wifi experience legally.

Thank Post
    Find out who it is and ask if they'd mind changing it.

Unless it's only offensive if you're Mary Whitehouse - in which case they'll just laugh at you.

Thank Post
    Unless whatever it is breaks any kind of UK law it may be easiest to simply lock down the laptops via group policy to only connect to the APs you specify and prevent student configuration (you can set different GPO's for students and staff so staff can still select home networks).

Polite word may or may not work- TBH I'd imagine anyone who'd use an expletive probably won't care what you think, but may not be aware that the name is publically visible of course.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    I'd go for a walk with a colleague and go find them, I know my tech had to at one point as the kids all loved one room for laptops and mobile devices, turned out it was free wireless from a house over the road thus facebook ahoy!

Thank Post
    Ask first, media second...

I can see the local media jumping all over this "pupils education suffers, because of incosiderate homeowner"

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast