+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Rememberance day in General; Stats straight from the Royal British Legion press campaign ... on posters around the country. I did have some other ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Rememberance day

Stats straight from the Royal British Legion press campaign ... on posters around the country.

I did have some other figures from the Imperial War Museum but they are a few years out now ... (from 5 years ago). I will try and dig them out again tomorrow.

I would also like to point out that I am a firm supporter of HM Forces and the work they do, both in a combatative role and when providing service to the community ... but I don't think we treat them well when they leave the services. It cannot all be up to the Govt ... it is also about how they interact with society and how they adjust to it, and society adjusts to them.

When I was a nipper there were a few ex-service people in the local social centre who had been involved in WW2 and Korea ... and people used to avoid them as they only ever talked about war stories ...

Looking back I can see that many of them had things they wanted to get off their chest ... to try and help people understand about what made them then.

Thank Post

I should just clarify that I wasnt trying to be funny, I really do think that on rememberance day all who fought for their country should be remembered, both allied and enemy

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yes thats the biggest problem you have when you come out you cant tell anyone about things that happed and chat about how it used to be due to offical secrets act and noone want to know anyway and when you are old enough people think you are just going on. I belong to Submarines Old Comrades and the have some great stores and they have such a laugh but all these clubs are dying out due to lack of support and people giving them the wrong impression. This club are there for people to get to know people in the sam situation. But some people just dont understand.
    here are a few navy ones
    navy associations
    Fleet air arm associations
    sorry i cant find any for air force or army

Thank Post

Can I just note, hopefully without taking this topic OT, that there's a plethora of 6th formers and children at your schools who get involved in stuff like this so please do support them..

.. and definitely no offense taken, it needed saying.
    6th form here are selling poppies and have had a talk from a man from the british legion so they now understand more about what the poppy apeal is for

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

In Flanders Fields
    By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
    Canadian Army

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
    Between the crosses row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

Inspiration for the Poem

On 2 May, 1915, in the second week of fighting during the Second Battle of Ypres Lieutenant Alexis Helmer was killed by a German artillery shell. He was a friend of the Canadian military doctor Major John McCrae. It is believed that John began the draft for his famous poem 'In Flanders Fields' that evening.

Thank Post

I'm just thankfull that they gave there today for our tomorrow...

we had a service today in school... i think i will goto the cathedral in Gloucester on Sunday for the service... i totally respect what our militray do for us....

when people try to slate or disrespect our remeberance of thoes Service Personnel who died for us to be free it winds me up.... i want to beat them..

Thank Post

It's very interesting this, most of the posters on this topic have always been civilians so presumably represent society. If this is so then why is decent defence spending,equipment and manpower of our forces such a low priority?

Just out of interest, we ran a school poll this year and last year asking whether students intended / had bought poppies, about 90% said 'Yes' on both years which is encouraging.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I am not a civilian and have just left (invalid out due to bad knees one of the most common problems) one of the main reason i found for not haveing the right equipment is companys knowing that our service needed somthing and due to procurement and contract terms fat cat became fatter and charged a arm and a leg. And they got away with it. Something that you could pay 10 pounds for the armed service would end up paying 20 things are changing but it takes time. thats what we were told.

Thank Post

Hello All, Nice post .
    Just like to say that my Daughter (12) is very proud that she is the flag bearer for St. Johns Ambulance at our local cenotaph today with lots of other young children from scouts, army cadets etc.
    She went along for a practice yesterday and it turned out that they had a small ceremony because it was the 11th and an larger one today Sunday 12th.

Let Us Remember.

Michael.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information