+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Anyone else on beta-blockers / for migraine? in General; Doc has prescribed Propranolol as I've put up with frequent migraines for far too long. Been taking them for a ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries

Anyone else on beta-blockers / for migraine?

Doc has prescribed Propranolol as I've put up with frequent migraines for far too long. Been taking them for a week and suffering horrendous nausea. Anyone else had this?

Thank Post
    My mother tried them, but for similar reasons stopped taking them. Reverted to cutting out certain foods from diet and survived on that method since. Plus lots of darkened rooms.

Thank Post
    Can't help on the blockers, but have you heard about the oxygen therapy theory??? Many docs don't prescribe it as it's "trial" at the mo, but people that have tried it swear by it. My mother is trying to get onto a trial at the moment. She was in hospital recently and on oxygen after an op, she ate something that would have usually have given her a raging cluster/migrane and it had no comeback at all

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    Will be sending you a PM.

Thank Post
    have a look here for some more info on cluster headaches and migraines ,Ouch(UK) - The Organisation for the Understanding of Cluster Headache. i found it very useful i have suffered for years ,headaches for months on end .

Thank Post
    Anything like beta-blockers will upset the body short term. Long term however it should do exactly what it needs to.
    I've taken similar medication for other ailments, perhaps give it another few days and then pop back to your doc to describe the side effect. He/she may recommend a different drug

Thank Post
    I have taken 2 differnet types of beta blockers, the first lot gave me mood swings and made me quite angry and short tempered, the second lot did the job of calming me down and preventing the migraines (i've suffered for 8 years now). I stopped taking them 2 years ago when my wife persauded me to go and see a nutritionalist (bad spelling), she changed my diet and things improved. I've since slipped with the diet and let stress get the better of me so I get the odd one every month. When I do get one I have Imigran prescribed which can clear it within a couple of hours if i'm lucky.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Doc has prescribed Propranolol as I've put up with frequent migraines for far too long. Been taking them for a week and suffering horrendous nausea. Anyone else had this?
    Can't help with your medication issues, but I used to get DAILY cluster headaches - more painful than childbirth, apparently

Fortunately, they only tended to last a couple of hours at most, but they were completely crippling.

I tried all sorts of medication, had a brain scan, almost starved to death trying to not eat the wrong type of foods, and then I went to see a reflexologist.

To cut a long story short, after about 6 weeks of quite intense treatment, my headaches started to subside.

The reflexologist worked mainly on my neck and shoulders, and whatever he did, worked, because I have been headache free for several years now, apart from the usual 'tired' headaches which I think everyone tends to get. Without realising it, my neck and shoulders muscles were as tight as a drum and I just needed to relax them and ease the tension.

I do also meditate and have a good relaxation regime where I give myself at least 15 minutes 'me' time a day to sit quietly and generally let my mind fix whatever it needs to fix.

Works wonders for me. It's not for everyone, but it might be something worth exploring.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    Cutting out dairy products and darkened room with pillows and covers over my head seemed to do the trick for me.

Ohh and plenty of fresh fish and shellfish as part of my new healthier eating regime.

Thank Post
    I don't think LCD screens help?

Thank Post
    Naramig help [ just in case there are people reading this looking for other meds ]

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    I don't think LCD screens help?
    LCD's are supposedly better than CRT's, but you can still have issues with them. The best course of action is to dim the brightness of them as this will reduce the effect they have.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    LCD's are supposedly better than CRT's, but you can still have issues with them. The best course of action is to dim the brightness of them as this will reduce the effect they have.
    What so you have to squint more to see it ? And why are LCDs better ? And what issues are you refering to ? And how does making them dimmer reduce the effect when in my case it makes it worse ?
    I think you have been spending too much time on Wikipedia !!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I used to really suffer with bad migranes. Part of the problem was taking the wrong medication. I used to take Paracetimol (sp?) until I finally worked out I was having somekind of reaction to them. Instead of blocking the pain they'd actually make it a whole lot worse.
    The Doc prescribed Codine once and they did things to my stomach I wouldn't wish on anyone. It felt like someone had grabbed myu stomach with both hands and twisted as hard they can.

For I found Nurophen (sp?) to be the wonder drug. Pop a couple of pills and an hour or so later the pains gone. The other thing I've learnt is not to wait too long before taking the pills. I used to think - 'this is just a headache, it'd go soon' and be at the point were bright light was seriously hurting the eyes before I'd admit that it wasn't just going to go away. Now I pop a couple of Nurophen at the first sign of pain. Haven't had a disabilitating migrane for a few years now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    What so you have to squint more to see it ? And why are LCDs better ? And what issues are you refering to ? And how does making them dimmer reduce the effect when in my case it makes it worse ?
    Migraines can be triggered by bright light - LCDs are very bright usually. Add in the fact that most older LCD's utilise a fluorescent element for their lighting, and you can still end up with the old 'flicker' as the trigger. Reducing the brightness reduces the effect of the problem, or so I have been told by various people. And it has reduced the number of migraines I've had.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast