+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Why? in General; have the threads in the education forum been locked?...
    @ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post

Why?

have the threads in the education forum been locked?

Thank Post
    Pre-emptive strike before the we're-not-paid-enough-get-stuffed argument starts again?

3. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

Edu-IT (18th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I thought it would have been to polite for who ever did it to at pm the poster as to why.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,409 Times in 1,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Pre-emptive strike before the we're-not-paid-enough-get-stuffed argument starts again?
    Yes, exactly that - I'm sorry, you're right - I should have said something (and was going to but got distracted)
    Some of the mods were discussing the awful stuff that is posted about salaries etc on the jobs thread so if the thread is locked after the original post, anyone wanting to comment has to go elsewhere and leave the job as a stand-alone statement. After all, anyone wanting more info can pm the OP, and if the OP realises that he or she has made a mistake or whatever, they can report it and ask for changes.
    Sounds tough, I know, but there has been some really nasty comments made in the past and people have got justifiably very upset when all they were doing was trying to offer a job.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    maybe there should be a system where the thread is locked automatically or maybe give the poster rights to lock his own thread?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    maybe there should be a system where the thread is locked automatically or maybe give the poster rights to lock his own thread?

that is what we want - it is being looked into as we speak

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cool, those discussions are rarely productive, I mean do the people setting the wage read the "Rubbish pay" comments and think "You know what he is right, lets increase the salary"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Or just change the permissions so that nobody can reply to posts in that area of the forum other than the OP, who may have to provide updates. Easily done and better than locking the thread entirely as posts cannot be the edited I don't think.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It is currently being looked at by the WebGod himself (ZeroHour), What we want is the thread's that are posted regarding job's to be locked automatically so that no one can start having ago at the OP because they have a certain issue with the job spec or salary.

It is not fair on the people that are posting the threads on here, who bare in mind are helping the whole community by making everyone aware of it.

James.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Cool, those discussions are rarely productive, I mean do the people setting the wage read the "Rubbish pay" comments and think "You know what he is right, lets increase the salary"
    Correct, they do not read them and then take what everyone has said and change it, they read it and then think what a waste of time and feel upset by it as they are just trying to help.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    No, but then equally, i don't see why someone advertising or linking to a job who then reads comments on the salary should be 'upset' by those comments.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    No, but then equally, i don't see why someone advertising or linking to a job who then reads comments on the salary should be 'upset' by those comments.
    Because someone is devaluing a job that that they might have put a lot of hard work into making available? My boss and I have put a lot of hard work in trying to find a way to afford to take on a tech to assist me, if it does come off we won't be able to afford to pay a lot, if I posted the job here and was met with some of the comments that have been posted here in the past I would certainly be upset.

Thank Post
    I am hoping that ZeroHour can come up with a solution - I think that the thread should lock automatically but the OP can edit his posts.
    Until then I was just trying to avoid the situations we have had in the past - it isn't only a question of the OP being 'upset' by negative comments, but also threads going way off topic and becoming flame wars, which IMHO is unprofessional.
    As has been said, the OP isn't usually responsible for the salary, so comments about it are rarely if ever of any use

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts
    I feel that constructive criticism has it's benefits but in the proper context.

Just for people to say that the salary of a particular job is "Rubbish" is not needed but also a well constructed evaluation of the salaries for a particular position which requires good first class qualifications is I feel well within the context of the forum and therefore should be allowed.

I too have made positions available at a low salary only in the context that I have not been expecting a whizz kid with qualifications coming out of his/her ears.

I have seen positions advertised on this forum in the past which really, when looking at what qualifications and experience the employer has advertised, has left some people on this forum feeling a little downhearted and undervalued, given what sacrifices they make in the ordinary day to day running of the schools networks.

There is I feel room for manouvre on both sides of the fence, someone once said "A fair day's pay for a fair day's work" and I feel in our line of work that most of the time that the "fair day's pay" does not seem to materialise as opposed to other staff pay within the schools.

This is just an evaluation of some of the job posts on the forum and I feel that sometimes this merits a little understanding from all concerned.

16. Thanks to bossman from:

zag (19th January 2010)

Thank Post
    well said bossman.

18. Thanks to torledo from:

bossman (19th January 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information