+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
General Chat Thread, Why? in General; Originally Posted by john Your lucky I've got some blutack left from sticking my Adobe magnets to my monitor at ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Your lucky I've got some blutack left from sticking my Adobe magnets to my monitor at work
    Done
    Yeah just rub it in why dont you!! i wan't my set of magnets!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Hate to say it ... but EG is not strictly a democracy.
    Perhaps this causes some of the confusion? Sometimes I feel that there are mixed messages about how EG should operate.

On one side we are told that its a community whose members shape the nature of EG. Yet as pointed out we don't have any real input on the rules of how it operates which, as the previous thread about rules here seems to indicate, are not clearly defined and pretty ad-hoc. When a discussion about this starts up we are then told that this isn't really the case and essentially its DB's site and he and his admins make the rules that are enforced by the mods.

Both sides have pros and cons, but perhaps its time a more definitive decision is made rather than the half way house we appear to have at the moment?

3. 2 Thanks to sparkeh:

bossman (20th January 2010), mb2k01 (20th January 2010)

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    I don't understand what the fuss is about really.
    The "fuss" as I see it, is about :

a) having moderators accused of over moderating posts in what is an open forum

b) moderators having to spend excessive time moderating unnecessarily in said forum

c) having an open forum with specific rules that don't apply elsewhere, which restricts what can or can't be discussed, confusing the issue further

d) taking the jobs forum forward to a point where it could actually become extremely attractive to professional organisations who have vacancies to fill, sourcing applicants from the elite membership of Edugeek'ers

e) therefore deciding whether to have a newly formed and dedicated jobs discussion forum and close the existing forum to anyone but advertisers.

I think that covers it?

Yes it is a fuss, and yes, probably quite unnecessary, however, there is without doubt an issue that needs addressing, and I for one don't believe a policy of "you can post this, but you can't post that" is going to work in said forum.

I'd like to be proved wrong now there is a sticky, but the pessimist in me thinks otherwise.

5. Thanks to theeldergeek from:

witch (20th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Absolutely spot on Sparkeh.
    Forum rules / code?

Thank Post
    To pick up on an earlier point by GD - No one is claiming EduGeek is, or should be, a democracy.
    What I always believed it was, was a COMMUNITY....

There is a subtle difference, but with both you would expect certain expectations, behaviour and rules to be made available in the hope they would be adhered to.

The problem we have is that a percentage of this community don't know how to conduct themselves properly, and are expected to follow rules which they haven't been made aware of in the first place!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    To be honest the job section will sort it out as we have plan for it but need to work out the fine detail

Russ

9. Thanks to russdev from:

witch (20th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    To be honest the job section will sort it out as we have plan for it but need to work out the fine detail

Russ
    "We" is an interesting word.
    I assume your usage means "the small group of Admins" rather than "the wider EduGeek community".

Thank Post
    Moreover, it's a forum for discussion... - not a jobsite.

I think it's healthy for people to discuss pay & roles, it's not like the employer is going to change the pay based on what the forum says!

Maybe jobs should be a category in which people submit the details and they're displayed outside of the forum if they are not to be commented on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post

Russ
    That is good, however I think that this is a symptom of a wider issue that keeps coming up, unless that is addressed I imagine we will see this kind of discussion over another area, then another etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    I assume your usage means "the small group of Admins" rather than "the wider EduGeek community".
    "We" is an interesting word ... people say "We need..." for things like sample AUPs, documentation, how-to guides ... and then some people take from what is created by a small group of members and then do contribute their versions back. Call me cynical but for every time I have heard "we" in many forums and communities it ends up being "we want to be heard ... but don't ask us to do the work".

This is part of the issue with community ... whether online or in the real world. I am so thankful to those who do contribute via discussion, in the wiki, via blogs, etc ... but when you consider the amount of members we have, the traffic we have, then the number of people asking questions, the number giving help ... there is still a gap around those that are willing to spend more time doing things.

Take the newsletter ... taken a few attempts to get off the ground, and falls down because people struggle with the time it can take. It happens ... the same way that people might say "someone needs to do something about anti-social behaviour" and then when asked to join a neighbourhood action group they keep quite and say things like "oh ... well that is what the police are there for ... I don't like the police but since we have them then they need to get their act together!"

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    We as in we have an idea and before we start making it public we want to make sure it will work once we know we can support it and idea will work we will ask everyone else (inc the mods) for views...

Russ

Thank Post
    @GrumbleDook,

I understand the point you are getting at.
    The option of becoming involved hasn't really been presented to us mear members/supporters. In fact, it is us that are left to realising something needs to be done and pushing to have it happen.
    I agree that some would likely say something needed be done and then step back instead of helping, but I for one would be keen to contribute - as a couple of the admins and also DB knows.

@Russdev,

What is wrong with discussing an idea...?
    The alternative means ploughing energy in to an action which you think may work, yet might not, plus may be equally unpopular with site users.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    "We" is an interesting word ... people say "We need..." for things like sample AUPs, documentation, how-to guides ... and then some people take from what is created by a small group of members and then do contribute their versions back. Call me cynical but for every time I have heard "we" in many forums and communities it ends up being "we want to be heard ... but don't ask us to do the work".

This is part of the issue with community ... whether online or in the real world. I am so thankful to those who do contribute via discussion, in the wiki, via blogs, etc ... but when you consider the amount of members we have, the traffic we have, then the number of people asking questions, the number giving help ... there is still a gap around those that are willing to spend more time doing things.

Take the newsletter ... taken a few attempts to get off the ground, and falls down because people struggle with the time it can take. It happens ... the same way that people might say "someone needs to do something about anti-social behaviour" and then when asked to join a neighbourhood action group they keep quite and say things like "oh ... well that is what the police are there for ... I don't like the police but since we have them then they need to get their act together!"
    Would gladly help out... as long as it doesn't use my voice or image

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information