+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Why? in General; Originally Posted by torledo with that particular poster, it appears, more often than not...ditto the exasperated tone. LOL. She may ...
    theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    with that particular poster, it appears, more often than not...ditto the exasperated tone. LOL.
    She may have her faults, we all do; and you may have an opinion, we all do; but suggesting as you do, her posting characteristics on the occasion in question are commonplace is quite uncalled for.

Witch does a lot for Edugeek, and whilst I am perhaps at the forefront of challenging her on occasion, I really don't think she deserves to be disrespected by a 3rd party comment.

2. Thanks to theeldergeek from:

RingOfFlame (20th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @theeldergeek
    If you have a concern about a Mod then use the Message the Admins section or PM DB himself. As for the rule about posting on the Jobs forum, then it has been publicised before and I'm pretty sure it was me that posted it too.

Mods are not censoring things as far as I can see .. they are just saying don't post the rant in the same thread. That has been abused so they are looking at alternatives. Mods will also take proactive action (as happens on other public forums as well as private ones) if they see a repeat is happening of something people have been asked not to do. We can all spot when it starts ... it doesn't take a rocket scientist. So ... instead of waiting for abuse to fly between members they step in and point out that things could get out of hand ... a quiet "look, why don't you take a steep back for a bit and have a breather" to all parties ... nowt wrong with that surely?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    Is the contempt entirely necessary?
    Given the constant mod-bashing going on lately, I think the exasperation is entirely justified.

Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    Rules that, unless i've missed something, none of the non-admin community have been either consulted on, OR had the opportunity to see listed anywhere....
    I think mods and admins alike have made their position perfectly clear on more than one occasion.

Once again a handful of members seem to feel that EduGeek is here for their own convenience and they are entitled to tread all over everybody who works so hard to make it a pleasant place to be. Well it isn't, and if you don't like that you should consider yourself lucky it is here at all.

Edit: started before and in total exclusion to GD's posts, read into that how you will.

Thank Post
    She may have her faults, we all do; and you may have an opinion, we all do; but suggesting as you do, her posting characteristics on the occasion in question are commonplace is quite uncalled for.

Witch does a lot for Edugeek, and whilst I am perhaps at the forefront of challenging her on occasion, I really don't think she deserves to be disrespected by a 3rd party comment.
    I can't decide if you're attacking or defending her.

Thank Post
    @GrumbleDook
    That is all well and good, but only admins and mods are party to those discussions aren't they.
    You can't point at the existence of discussions, agreements (aka rules?!) when they aren't published. It's fairly obvious problem with a fairly obvious solution.

I might just add that with this specific issue I actually agree with you - I cringe when I read the vacancy threads with people sniffing at the salaries, but the above point is still valid.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Thank you for your support.
    It wasn't contempt, it was exasperation and frustration - the poster had taken no notice of what I had said and was, IMHO, deliberately being inflammatory.
    No one is stopping ANYONE discussing a job.
    The admins and mods are doing their best to ensure that Edugeek remains a place where everyone can state their case without being viciously attacked or vilified for their views.
    But, as Grumbledook said, the jobs thread went postal on more than one occasion so now is the time to hopefully take further steps to ensure fairness for all.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    @theeldergeek
    If you have a concern about a Mod then use the Message the Admins section or PM DB himself.
    I don't have a concern, per se, not enough to warrant a complaint anyway.

As for the rule about posting on the Jobs forum, then it has been publicised before and I'm pretty sure it was me that posted it too.
    Clearly it needs clarifying because it quite simply isn't working. It is causing extra and unnecessary work for the moderators, and unrest within some elements of our community.

Something definitive needs to be done.

Mods are not censoring things as far as I can see .. they are just saying don't post the rant in the same thread. That has been abused so they are looking at alternatives. Mods will also take proactive action (as happens on other public forums as well as private ones) if they see a repeat is happening of something people have been asked not to do. We can all spot when it starts ... it doesn't take a rocket scientist. So ... instead of waiting for abuse to fly between members they step in and point out that things could get out of hand ... a quiet "look, why don't you take a steep back for a bit and have a breather" to all parties ... nowt wrong with that surely?
    I don't entirely agree that a small minority aren't censoring (or have censorship tendencies) but as it isn't really a major issue, and I don't have immediate examples to hand (because they get removed and i can't quote them) I can't really take that matter forward.

No, there is nothing wrong with the moderation you describe. I don't believe I said there was?
    Last edited by theeldergeek; 19th January 2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: amended

10. Thanks to theeldergeek from:

theeldergeek
    Is that a sticky? It's the first time I've seen it, and I look at the jobs forum a lot.

Note to boss : only because I like to see who's doing what, not because I am looking for another job

12. Thanks to theeldergeek from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    @GrumbleDook
    That is all well and good, but only admins and mods are party to those discussions aren't they.
    You can't point at the existence of discussions, agreements (aka rules?!) when they aren't published. It's fairly obvious problem with a fairly obvious solution.

I might just add that with this specific issue I actually agree with you - I cringe when I read the vacancy threads with people sniffing at the salaries, but the above point is still valid.
    The problem with internet democracy is that unless you run it as a complete democracy then you are paying lip service. Unless all members have a chance to vote on who should be a mod then you will get some people who are not happy with the selection ... and if everyone does have a vote then you will get some people not happy with the selection.

One issue is that even if the Mods were to set down a FAQ to raise the results of discussions about things then not everyone will read it. People will make mistakes and then others will jump on them as a form of member moderation (we had a spate of that about 2 years ago IIRC) and people ended up getting hacked off then.

These things just go in circles. We've had censorship already this year ... we have also had "what is edugeek" too ... we just need some more teacher bashing, slagging off BSF, raising questions about the adverts, asking if EG has gone too commercial, a discussion about religion and some more humorous websites and we have squeezed in a repeat of 2009.

Nowt wrong with having the discussions but some are vampire threads ... and it might be worth actually looking at the old threads and posting on the end of them so people can see the previous discussions.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    I can't decide if you're attacking or defending her.
    I think I was probably defending her in a round-about way

15. Thanks to theeldergeek from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Clearly it needs clarifying because it quite simply isn't working. It is causing extra and unnecessary work for the moderators, and unrest within some elements of our community.
    Something definitive needs to be done.
    You are right, it simply isn't working, and I believe the censorship to which you refer was by me - that would be the job thread where the poor OP had to suffer nasty attacks on him about his website - completely irrelevant to the job itself. He had asked me to remove the job altogether and was going to walk away, but I persuaded him to stay by promising to remove all the irrelevant, rude and flaming posts. I did leave the ones asking sensible questions about the job though.

I did something definitive about the jobs thread problem today - look where it got me

(actually, it got me exactly where I wanted to be - in the midst of a discussion where some very sensible ideas have been mooted)

17. Thanks to witch from:

tdawson (19th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Is that a sticky? It's the first time I've seen it, and I look at the jobs forum a lot.

Note to boss : only because I like to see who's doing what, not because I am looking for another job
    Ah .. no, it wasn't a sticky ... because I am not a mod or admin and can't do it. Oh and none of them bothered to make it one. Typical ... sack the lot of them! You just can't get the staff nowadays! Bring back Brian Blessed! He'd soon get this lot sorted.

(hint to Mods ... can someone please sticky that thread please?)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    (hint to Mods ... can someone please sticky that thread please?)
    Pretty much solves the problem. Rules are listed in a sticky at the top of the forum. Really don't see the problem some are having with this. Is it really too much to take pay gripes to another thread?

Thank Post

Once more into the breach..

As someone who posts jobs I think the locked jobs section is a great idea.
    By all means take a discussion about the job off to another area, but if people want to see jobs on EduGeek then Senior Management within schools need to be convinced of its worth and that it offers access to skilled professionals (not crazed pedants).
    Incidentally, I do have some control over salaries and think that those we have offered are reasonable for the field in which we work. If you want big bucks you were seriously misdirected by your careers officer when they said "Why not work in education IT support?"

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information