+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 103
General Chat Thread, Why? in General; Originally Posted by mossj I know in VB4, you can give the permissions for thread locking in a x forum ...
  1. #31

    EduTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    5,080
    Thank Post
    160
    Thanked 941 Times in 733 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    I know in VB4, you can give the permissions for thread locking in a x forum to the op...

    Have you had a look? because I wasn't under the impression permissions had been reworked in 3.8>4
    Currently Testing VB4 at the moment and i know shaun is as well. Pretty Smart

    James.

  2. #32

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,521
    Thank Post
    1,532
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Rep Power
    814
    Quote Originally Posted by richard_s View Post
    I think that this is a good idea as the mods do not seem to want people to discuss the job advertisements.
    *sigh* Did you not read what I said? Plainly not.
    Quite happy with discussion, but not in the jobs thread, as it can be unproductive and discourage people from posting jobs. AND information about said job gets lost in the general melee.

  3. Thanks to witch from:

    elsiegee40 (19th January 2010)

  4. #33

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,231
    Thank Post
    1,446
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenewman View Post
    Becasue if the first post in a thread is an advert, the discusion for it should be in a different thread. What you are advertising is irrelevant.
    In the nicest possible way, that makes no sense.
    You are not advertising a video but simply directing people to a video you, and perhaps others, might find funny. This invites comments such as "Yes that is funny" or "Not thats not funny". In reality the comments are pretty meaningless.

    As discussed above the comments on a job advert are important and could have a negative effect for both advertiser and applicant alike. These adverts invite no comment and really there is no need beyond perhaps a request for more information, which could be handled via PM anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenewman View Post
    Nope! If I was interested in a job, the opinions of others would not alter that.
    So if you saw a job with comments like "Rubbish pay" or any of the other nonsense going on, it would not effect your view of the job? I simply don't believe that. However if that is true then you are a much stronger willed person than the majority of people here, myself included as this would effect my view, and people could be put of applying for jobs that could be good for them.

  5. #34
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    So if you saw a job with comments like "Rubbish pay" or any of the other nonsense going on, it would not effect your view of the job?
    Me personally, not a bit of it. I know my own worth, i know what i'd like to earn and should be earning, i know the going rate or pay in relation to cost of living area. And most people who are job hunting or job moving have an idea of the latter.

    What does actually help, and perhaps what you've not factored it in 'sparkeh', is for people who know the area if it's a different town to be able to comment on salary in relation to cost of living, housing etc. etc.

    But no, i'm not influenced either way or put off, by any such comments. Chances are, if someone on here deems it 'rubbish pay', then that particular job for me is a pay cut. So i probably wouldn't be interested, although i'm quite capable of making that decision on me own. Although i think posters tend to elaborate a bit more than that if they do feel compelled to comment....

    Having said all that, i have no objection to such threads being locked if that's the proposal, it's more important for edugeekers to be made aware of such jobs. So appreciation goes out to posters like IanT who has posted some jobs on here that they've come across. wouldn't want to stop that from continuing....

  6. Thanks to torledo from:

    bossman (19th January 2010)

  7. #35

    bossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,035
    Thank Post
    1,262
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    Rep Power
    338
    @witch:

    Would it not then be a better option to have the Jobs as a seperate entity which would have seperate adverts inside which would then generate their own thread so the advert for that job remains at the top of the thread?

  8. #36

    webman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    8,422
    Thank Post
    645
    Thanked 967 Times in 667 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Quite happy with discussion, but not in the jobs thread, as it can be unproductive and discourage people from posting jobs. AND information about said job gets lost in the general melee.
    But if the job does get discussed (just in a slightly different place) - does this make the job poster immune to getting upset about comments on the job advert?

    I don't see how having the two entities separate will rectify that part of the issue.

  9. Thanks to webman from:

    bossman (19th January 2010)

  10. #37
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,002
    Thank Post
    983
    Thanked 477 Times in 398 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    98
    Personally If I put an advert up I would like people to comment on the wage/experience level since I guess I would want to employ someone who is capable and happy with the remuneration.

    But then again that's just me.

    EDIT: of course wage levels differ around the country so some people might need to understand that better before posting.

  11. #38

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,521
    Thank Post
    1,532
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Rep Power
    814
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @witch:

    Would it not then be a better option to have the Jobs as a seperate entity which would have seperate adverts inside which would then generate their own thread so the advert for that job remains at the top of the thread?
    Yes, that would work too -so you would have a job 'advert' and a separate thread about that job?

    The thing is, what you all don't see is the number of problems the mods have had to deal with on the jobs threads. Not just people getting 'upset' (and they do have a right to do this, so sneering comments are really not needed), but also people pulling ads for perfectly good jobs because any remark they make is pounced on by the, er, more combative members.
    Comments about money are all very well but there are other threads about the sort of salaries you might expect in different parts of the country.

    I'm sure the powers-that-be will soon come up with an idea.

    It needs to be more professional IMHO

    As has been said - you don't comment on a job in the paper by writing in to the paper. What we are after is a proper jobs list that is easily accessible so that employers will feel confident that if they post here, the job will be seen and responded to by people interested. Surely that is for the benefit of all?
    Last edited by witch; 19th January 2010 at 05:21 PM.

  12. #39

    webman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    8,422
    Thank Post
    645
    Thanked 967 Times in 667 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    As has been said - you don't comment on a job in the paper by writing in to the paper.
    No we can't, but we can cut it out, show it to our friends and discuss if it's a good place to work at, what job it is, what the responsibilities would be and also talk about the pay. What makes a forum better than the newspaper is that discussion would take place in context of the advert.

    With a newspaper, the poster wouldn't get that great feedback or hear the discussion. On a forum, they do - bonus.

  13. 2 Thanks to webman:

    bossman (19th January 2010)

  14. #40

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,231
    Thank Post
    1,446
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    It needs to be more professional IMHO

    As has been said - you don't comment on a job in the paper by writing in to the paper. What we are after is a proper jobs list that is easily accessible so that employers will feel confident that if they post here, the job will be seen and responded to by people interested. Surely that is for the benefit of all?
    This is another issue that goes back to the "What are we?" question raised by Dos_Box a while ago.
    If we do want to be taken increasingly seriously as a community of professionals then yes we have to act professional.

    I think a separate jobs list is a good idea. Perhaps it needs some kind of proforma for advertisers to fill out so that certain things are covered e.g. "Contact this person for more details".

  15. #41
    mb2k01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,151
    Thank Post
    191
    Thanked 235 Times in 199 Posts
    Rep Power
    94
    Seems like another reason for this to me:
    Forum rules / code?

  16. #42

    Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bromley
    Posts
    4,126
    Thank Post
    217
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    No we can't, but we can cut it out, show it to our friends and discuss if it's a good place to work at, what job it is, what the responsibilities would be and also talk about the pay. What makes a forum better than the newspaper is that discussion would take place in context of the advert.

    With a newspaper, the poster wouldn't get that great feedback or hear the discussion. On a forum, they do - bonus.
    aye,

    and that would be great - were it happening.

    But its not, people are being pounced on and argued into submission until they ask for their ad's to be deleted

  17. #43

    bossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,035
    Thank Post
    1,262
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    Rep Power
    338
    @all:

    It has been mentioned about us all being a little more professional in our approach to job adverts and in some cases I agree, but also it would benefit all of us if the Job advertised were of a professional format and and not put together in such fashion as to display the inadequacies of the actual employer who is posting the job.

    Some of the adverts are to be honest, not very well put together and it may be that Edugeek could offer their expertise in putting together an advert as kind of a service, what do other members think?

  18. #44

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,249
    Thank Post
    1,061
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    Rep Power
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post

    The thing is, what you all don't see is the number of problems the mods have had to deal with on the jobs threads. Not just people getting 'upset' (and they do have a right to do this, so sneering comments are really not needed),
    Christ, if people are getting upset over that sort of thing then I would hate to see what trivial comment really sets them off.....

  19. #45

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    6,069
    Thank Post
    902
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Christ, if people are getting upset over that sort of thing then I would hate to see what trivial comment really sets them off.....
    Give us a chance, it's almost 'that time of the month'

  20. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

    mattx (19th January 2010)



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •