+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Why? in General; Originally Posted by mossj I know in VB4, you can give the permissions for thread locking in a x forum ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    I know in VB4, you can give the permissions for thread locking in a x forum to the op...

Have you had a look? because I wasn't under the impression permissions had been reworked in 3.8>4
    Currently Testing VB4 at the moment and i know shaun is as well. Pretty Smart

James.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by richard_s View Post
    I think that this is a good idea as the mods do not seem to want people to discuss the job advertisements.
    *sigh* Did you not read what I said? Plainly not.
    Quite happy with discussion, but not in the jobs thread, as it can be unproductive and discourage people from posting jobs. AND information about said job gets lost in the general melee.

3. Thanks to witch from:

elsiegee40 (19th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenewman View Post
    Becasue if the first post in a thread is an advert, the discusion for it should be in a different thread. What you are advertising is irrelevant.
    In the nicest possible way, that makes no sense.
    You are not advertising a video but simply directing people to a video you, and perhaps others, might find funny. This invites comments such as "Yes that is funny" or "Not thats not funny". In reality the comments are pretty meaningless.

As discussed above the comments on a job advert are important and could have a negative effect for both advertiser and applicant alike. These adverts invite no comment and really there is no need beyond perhaps a request for more information, which could be handled via PM anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenewman View Post
    Nope! If I was interested in a job, the opinions of others would not alter that.
    So if you saw a job with comments like "Rubbish pay" or any of the other nonsense going on, it would not effect your view of the job? I simply don't believe that. However if that is true then you are a much stronger willed person than the majority of people here, myself included as this would effect my view, and people could be put of applying for jobs that could be good for them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    So if you saw a job with comments like "Rubbish pay" or any of the other nonsense going on, it would not effect your view of the job?
    Me personally, not a bit of it. I know my own worth, i know what i'd like to earn and should be earning, i know the going rate or pay in relation to cost of living area. And most people who are job hunting or job moving have an idea of the latter.

What does actually help, and perhaps what you've not factored it in 'sparkeh', is for people who know the area if it's a different town to be able to comment on salary in relation to cost of living, housing etc. etc.

But no, i'm not influenced either way or put off, by any such comments. Chances are, if someone on here deems it 'rubbish pay', then that particular job for me is a pay cut. So i probably wouldn't be interested, although i'm quite capable of making that decision on me own. Although i think posters tend to elaborate a bit more than that if they do feel compelled to comment....

Having said all that, i have no objection to such threads being locked if that's the proposal, it's more important for edugeekers to be made aware of such jobs. So appreciation goes out to posters like IanT who has posted some jobs on here that they've come across. wouldn't want to stop that from continuing....

6. Thanks to torledo from:

bossman (19th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    @witch:

Would it not then be a better option to have the Jobs as a seperate entity which would have seperate adverts inside which would then generate their own thread so the advert for that job remains at the top of the thread?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Quite happy with discussion, but not in the jobs thread, as it can be unproductive and discourage people from posting jobs. AND information about said job gets lost in the general melee.
    But if the job does get discussed (just in a slightly different place) - does this make the job poster immune to getting upset about comments on the job advert?

I don't see how having the two entities separate will rectify that part of the issue.

9. Thanks to webman from:

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Personally If I put an advert up I would like people to comment on the wage/experience level since I guess I would want to employ someone who is capable and happy with the remuneration.

But then again that's just me.

EDIT: of course wage levels differ around the country so some people might need to understand that better before posting.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @witch:

Would it not then be a better option to have the Jobs as a seperate entity which would have seperate adverts inside which would then generate their own thread so the advert for that job remains at the top of the thread?
    Yes, that would work too -so you would have a job 'advert' and a separate thread about that job?

The thing is, what you all don't see is the number of problems the mods have had to deal with on the jobs threads. Not just people getting 'upset' (and they do have a right to do this, so sneering comments are really not needed), but also people pulling ads for perfectly good jobs because any remark they make is pounced on by the, er, more combative members.
    Comments about money are all very well but there are other threads about the sort of salaries you might expect in different parts of the country.

I'm sure the powers-that-be will soon come up with an idea.

It needs to be more professional IMHO

As has been said - you don't comment on a job in the paper by writing in to the paper. What we are after is a proper jobs list that is easily accessible so that employers will feel confident that if they post here, the job will be seen and responded to by people interested. Surely that is for the benefit of all?
    Last edited by witch; 19th January 2010 at 05:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As has been said - you don't comment on a job in the paper by writing in to the paper.
    No we can't, but we can cut it out, show it to our friends and discuss if it's a good place to work at, what job it is, what the responsibilities would be and also talk about the pay. What makes a forum better than the newspaper is that discussion would take place in context of the advert.

With a newspaper, the poster wouldn't get that great feedback or hear the discussion. On a forum, they do - bonus.

13. 2 Thanks to webman:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It needs to be more professional IMHO

As has been said - you don't comment on a job in the paper by writing in to the paper. What we are after is a proper jobs list that is easily accessible so that employers will feel confident that if they post here, the job will be seen and responded to by people interested. Surely that is for the benefit of all?
    This is another issue that goes back to the "What are we?" question raised by Dos_Box a while ago.
    If we do want to be taken increasingly seriously as a community of professionals then yes we have to act professional.

I think a separate jobs list is a good idea. Perhaps it needs some kind of proforma for advertisers to fill out so that certain things are covered e.g. "Contact this person for more details".

Thank Post
    Seems like another reason for this to me:
    Forum rules / code?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    No we can't, but we can cut it out, show it to our friends and discuss if it's a good place to work at, what job it is, what the responsibilities would be and also talk about the pay. What makes a forum better than the newspaper is that discussion would take place in context of the advert.

With a newspaper, the poster wouldn't get that great feedback or hear the discussion. On a forum, they do - bonus.
    aye,

and that would be great - were it happening.

But its not, people are being pounced on and argued into submission until they ask for their ad's to be deleted

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    @all:

It has been mentioned about us all being a little more professional in our approach to job adverts and in some cases I agree, but also it would benefit all of us if the Job advertised were of a professional format and and not put together in such fashion as to display the inadequacies of the actual employer who is posting the job.

Some of the adverts are to be honest, not very well put together and it may be that Edugeek could offer their expertise in putting together an advert as kind of a service, what do other members think?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts

The thing is, what you all don't see is the number of problems the mods have had to deal with on the jobs threads. Not just people getting 'upset' (and they do have a right to do this, so sneering comments are really not needed),
    Christ, if people are getting upset over that sort of thing then I would hate to see what trivial comment really sets them off.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Christ, if people are getting upset over that sort of thing then I would hate to see what trivial comment really sets them off.....
    Give us a chance, it's almost 'that time of the month'

20. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

mattx (19th January 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information