+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Why? in General; Originally Posted by bossman I feel that constructive criticism has it's benefits but in the proper context. Just for people ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    I feel that constructive criticism has it's benefits but in the proper context.

Just for people to say that the salary of a particular job is "Rubbish" is not needed but also a well constructed evaluation of the salaries for a particular position which requires good first class qualifications is I feel well within the context of the forum and therefore should be allowed.

I too have made positions available at a low salary only in the context that I have not been expecting a whizz kid with qualifications coming out of his/her ears.

I have seen positions advertised on this forum in the past which really, when looking at what qualifications and experience the employer has advertised, has left some people on this forum feeling a little downhearted and undervalued, given what sacrifices they make in the ordinary day to day running of the schools networks.

There is I feel room for manouvre on both sides of the fence, someone once said "A fair day's pay for a fair day's work" and I feel in our line of work that most of the time that the "fair day's pay" does not seem to materialise as opposed to other staff pay within the schools.

This is just an evaluation of some of the job posts on the forum and I feel that sometimes this merits a little understanding from all concerned.
    I'm going to be honest and say well said because i do think you have a good point, as much as i do agree with what you are saying we are having way too many threads just go way off topic turning into flame war's as which stated. This is something we need to try and prevent and in order to do that we feel that that would be the best way forward.

One thing we have also said is that if someone feels that something is wrong then there is no reason why they cannot make another thread or like we have had in the past problems with the advert i.e. Spelling, Error etc then just a simple PM to the OP would be fine as i am sure they would prefer that then shouting it out in public.

.... am i contradicting myself now lol!
    Last edited by EduTech; 19th January 2010 at 10:27 AM.

2. Thanks to EduTech from:

bossman (19th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    I feel that constructive criticism has it's benefits but in the proper context.

Just for people to say that the salary of a particular job is "Rubbish" is not needed but also a well constructed evaluation of the salaries for a particular position which requires good first class qualifications is I feel well within the context of the forum and therefore should be allowed.

I too have made positions available at a low salary only in the context that I have not been expecting a whizz kid with qualifications coming out of his/her ears.

I have seen positions advertised on this forum in the past which really, when looking at what qualifications and experience the employer has advertised, has left some people on this forum feeling a little downhearted and undervalued, given what sacrifices they make in the ordinary day to day running of the schools networks.

There is I feel room for manouvre on both sides of the fence, someone once said "A fair day's pay for a fair day's work" and I feel in our line of work that most of the time that the "fair day's pay" does not seem to materialise as opposed to other staff pay within the schools.

This is just an evaluation of some of the job posts on the forum and I feel that sometimes this merits a little understanding from all concerned.
    Done in the proper way, I would say that discussion on the current value placed on our jobs is a welcome debate. I just don't think it should be done directly under a job advert. I doubt that anyone would respond to a job advert in a newspaper by writing into the paper pointing to discuss the wages advertised.

We should also bear in mind that members will be applying for these jobs and debating whether the wage is appropriate or not directly under the advert could be demoralising for them.

4. Thanks to sparkeh from:

bossman (19th January 2010)

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Fair doos

Thank Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that personally, the thread containing the job ad IS the place for discussing it, otherwise we could end up with loads of different threads all about one job. Healthy discussion regarding a job opportunity is a good thing. Obviously, anyone becoming rude or flaming is out of order but that can (and will) happen in any thread. If the OP gets upset, surely a simple PM to a mod to have a post removed or a PM to the person who has stepped out of line would be better than locking threads which just dicsourages discussion of a vacancy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    Someone stating they think the pay for a job is rubbish is someone's opinion - to someone else that job may be fantastic. Unless foul or abbusive language is used I personally feel this is not a problem. There is too much sensitivity around sometimes and not enough 'telling you how it is' attitude.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Done in the proper way, I would say that discussion on the current value placed on our jobs is a welcome debate. I just don't think it should be done directly under a job advert. I doubt that anyone would respond to a job advert in a newspaper by writing into the paper pointing to discuss the wages advertised.
    We should also bear in mind that members will be applying for these jobs and debating whether the wage is appropriate or not directly under the advert could be demoralising for them.
    Well said

That is the way we are thinking - it is not that fair discussion cannot take place AT ALL, just that a jobs forum is just that. I take the point about lots of threads about the same job, but if the poster titled his thread properly, this should be limited.
    Also, if the OP wishes to modify or explain something in the job thread - sometimes it gets buried under all the comment, or appears way down on page 4 so anyone studying the job might miss it.

I say again, and sorry if there has been misunderstanding - reasoned discussion, without abuse or flaming, is absolutely fine and not a problem at all, just not in what is, in effect, an advert thread

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Well said

That is the way we are thinking - it is not that fair discussion cannot take place AT ALL, just that a jobs forum is just that. I take the point about lots of threads about the same job, but if the poster titled his thread properly, this should be limited.
    Also, if the OP wishes to modify or explain something in the job thread - sometimes it gets buried under all the comment, or appears way down on page 4 so anyone studying the job might miss it.

I say again, and sorry if there has been misunderstanding - reasoned discussion, without abuse or flaming, is absolutely fine and not a problem at all, just not in what is, in effect, an advert thread
    So, by the same token then, if I start a thread with a link to a YouTube video in it , just as a link to visit as a fun video or something, then discussion of this video should take place in a different thread as, after all, the original link is just an advert for that video ???

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenewman View Post
    So, by the same token then, if I start a thread with a link to a YouTube video in it , just as a link to visit as a fun video or something, then discussion of this video should take place in a different thread as, after all, the original link is just an advert for that video ???
    How does that even equate at all?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenewman View Post
    Of course it isn't an 'advert for that video' - it is you posting something that you WANT people to comment on, whereas a job advert is a static thing, with info in it so that those who need more information about it can contact someone direct.
    Not the same token at all.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    How does that even equate at all?
    Becasue if the first post in a thread is an advert, the discusion for it should be in a different thread. What you are advertising is irrelevant.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The main issue here isn't about job advert discussion.

It's more the fact that the discussion rarely adds value and is quite often discouraging. This will only lead to less people wanting to post job adverts here, and that will be detrimental for our members.

If you were interested in a job only to see it shot down by your peers you would be discouraged - right?

Anyone asking for more DIRECT information can just PM or email the OP.

(side note: this is my 2000th post, wooo!)

Thank Post
    Ok, I can see both sides to this. The problem stems from the job adverts being posted in a forum, which is as a place for discussion and so people feel aggrieved at not being able to comment, which I can fully understand. If we only had forums where people had to agree with ethe opening post, the this would be a boring place!
    Basically the site is trying to use a forum for job vacancies adverts, which on other sites would not be done in a forum. I can understand why this has been done as the site is fundamentally based around the forums and it would have been difficult to do anything else. Maybe the solution is to take the vacancies section out of the forums and have a seperate section like we have for direct support. This would avoid confusion.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    If you were interested in a job only to see it shot down by your peers you would be discouraged - right?
    Nope! If I was interested in a job, the opinions of others would not alter that.

richard_s
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Maybe the solution is to take the vacancies section out of the forums and have a seperate section like we have for direct support. This would avoid confusion.
    I think that this is a good idea as the mods do not seem to want people to discuss the job advertisements.

Thank Post
    I know in VB4, you can give the permissions for thread locking in a x forum to the op...

Have you had a look? because I wasn't under the impression permissions had been reworked in 3.8>4

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information