+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What does 'Edugeek' actually do? in General; What does 'Edugeek' actually do? Pays the mortgage for Dos_Box?...
    Thank Post
    What does 'Edugeek' actually do?
    Pays the mortgage for Dos_Box?

2. Thanks to RingOfFlame from:

torledo (24th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I'm sure its a stupid question but what is the bounce rate?
    Bounce rate, is the % of people that visit your site then go elsewhere without visiting another page...

3 different ways of looking at the figure...
    • Could just mean they are finding the information they require and then don't need to visit other pages. I would expect this to be indicated because of a high average time on site too.
    • Could mean they don't see the site as useful and leave (how many of us open tabs up to the first few sites in a search then dismiss 2 or 3 within a min or so). This would create a low average time on site.
    • Could also mean they find the information useful but don't see the site as a valuable enough resource to have a look around.

Looking at what are the common entrance pages for international visitors may help further, for example if it's the index then it suggests number 2, if it's a forum thread then it suggests number 1.

As edugeek is a information resource the likelyhood is it's number 1. Although I would put to Dos_Box that he needs to look at converting these visitors veiwing just one thread to a registered users by highlighting the advantages of being a registered member of edugeek (not aggressively more of a gentle nudge).

A eCommerce site would expect a visitor to look at multiple pages (be them other products or order screens), so the lower he bounce rate the better for them.

I work for 3 commercial sites that offer multiple products (be they halls, catering outlets, or conference venues), so I want my bounce rate as low as possible.
    Last edited by mossj; 20th January 2010 at 12:47 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame View Post
    Pays the mortgage for Dos_Box?
    Heh, yes, that and the conferences and BETT (bye bye 12k). It ain't cheap running EduGeek!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    conferences
    Hehe whilst we are on that note... consider Leicester University Conferences next time... Nice centeral location in Oadby, Leicestershire. Accommodation, internet, and bars all on site.

We will even be able to manage your bookings online from feb 10.

You'd be in good company to with Terry Wogan using us every year for his TOGS conference, and the queen eating at our Oadby catering outlets.
    Last edited by mossj; 20th January 2010 at 01:16 AM.

Thank Post
    I'm sure it does DB but I would imagine this site generate a nice income. I counted at least 20 forum sponsors. Then there is revenue from from Buy Focus and the Acer Outlet. I keep reading how admins / mods give their time for free to help run this site, don't you think that's a bit unfair when you are the one who is benefiting financially?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh yes ... terribly unfair ... especially after doing a day job for over 3 years whilst doing EG as an ever increasing evening job. And it is terribly unfair that the money spent at BETT did things like providing lanyards, mugs, pens, bags, pizza and a few other things to members ... at no cost to them.

(flippin' heck ... I said in the thread 'Why' that we were missing comments about the commercial nature of EG but never expected it so quickly afterwards!)

As for the mods ... apart from the t-shirts, etc ... the hotel and food at BETT ... nope, they get nothing but the respect, admiration and thanks for a hard job done well. Actually ... do the RM Forum mods get anything out of interest?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure it does DB but I would imagine this site generate a nice income. I counted at least 20 forum sponsors. Then there is revenue from from Buy Focus and the Acer Outlet. I keep reading how admins / mods give their time for free to help run this site, don't you think that's a bit unfair when you are the one who is benefiting financially?
    Personally, I'd say completely 100% fair. I'd volunteer in a minute, to help out on this site. I wouldn't care even if DB was making millions, planning to take over the world and sitting in a golden throne whilst cackling evilly, but I seriously doubt it does. As far as I'm concerned, DB deserves to make something from this site!

Thank Post
    DB created the site and it's only fair that he is paid as the hired help to do all the background stuff and promote EG.

No one pays a subscription fee, it's up to DB's efforts to ensure that the site is supported and he gets a wage packet

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    More seriously though, we don't sell your details or spam you.
    .......... Any excess funds we make often go back into the conferences and events as we make a large effort not to be nameless and faceless, for an online community such as ours this is very important, ask anyone who met us at BETT or at a conf.
    True, true and true - very important to us all as a community.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Not as good as the first year when DB had a Saudi prince come up and say, "how much to buy you?" and he really was talking about buying the site, getting it translated and made available overseas!
    Who was it? I might know them. He's probably at my school!

I blame all of those 'We'll give you free printers if you only buy your toner\ink from us' schemes a couple of years back for spreading fear of the word free in education circles!
    I liked those deals and used them alot. Lots of people once you've explained what the site offers and how it's free are shocked, but they remember it at the back of their mind to check in on. More users than before signed up on the day at BETT this year from what i could see.

I've attached a dump of our visitor stats from Google Analytics for you to look at.
    That's me in Sauid - i would like to see stats in middle east pre my migration and post.

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Saudi Arabia hits five and Australia manages just over two. I guess it helps that there are some fairly active members in those countries to bring the totals up which does show in the stats.
    I'm sure i'm logged in all day sometimes, i guess i'm just not always active - but all my bosses has been saying that for years!

He is not benefitting financially. DB isn't out going on extravagant holidays buying flash cars.... (well i hope not anyway!) He takes a wage as it's now his only job and all other money goes on expenses for the site as mentioned before, site costs, promotional materials, conferences etc. We volunteer because we like what we do and want to help out 'our' community.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    As for the mods ... apart from the t-shirts, etc ... the hotel and food at BETT ... nope, they get nothing but the respect, admiration and thanks for a hard job done well. Actually ... do the RM Forum mods get anything out of interest?
    I love my T-shirt, and the atmosphere post BETT, and feeling of achieved something really bloomin useful for the wider educational community.
    I love edugeek.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    even if DB was making millions, planning to take over the world and sitting in a golden throne whilst cackling evilly,
    Shhh! The CIA might be watching we've gotta keep these plans quiet till the last possible moment for surely it is written that 'the geek will inherit the earth'

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I love my T-shirt, and the atmosphere post BETT, and feeling of achieved something really bloomin useful for the wider educational community.
    I love edugeek.

Now calm down, let's not get too emotional here
    (I thought that was a female prerogative)

(I love Edugeek too...)

Thank Post
    Is this a Group Hug Moment?

*sniff* I love you guys!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alan-d View Post
    Is this a Group Hug Moment?

*sniff* I love you guys!!!
    i concur

Thank Post

Thank Post
    DB deserves any rewards he gets from edugeek - i don't care if makes a lot of money from it or not - he developed it and it is by the far best resource out there for us - at no cost to us!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast