+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What does 'Edugeek' actually do? in General; Thats a very high bounce rate from other countries......
    Thank Post
    Thats a very high bounce rate from other countries...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    Hi Russ,

Thanks for pointing out some of the answers. I feel the need to bring you to the quote above - if this is the case and you are the technical help point for BETT then you need to be closer to the middle of the show instead of a small stand near the rear. I don't know where you were this year, but the camera made the stand look small.

Is the title 'Technical Help Point for BETT' an official title as given to you by the organisers of BETT? If so then I totally agree with you about making it clearer in future years. BETT should also realise that you need to be closer to the front.

Gareth
    The stand location is actually a very good one, next to two main thorough-fares, the stairs for which give access to the grand hall gallery and opposite a busy cafe. The main information point is situated in teh centre (the BESA information point) as that is the only generic info point. The Software information point is upstairs in teh national hall gallery to be close to the software zone and the SEN information point is in the SEN area. Both are sometimes very quiet and get few visitors.

At the "Technical Help Point powered by EduGeek.net (in association with Smoothwall, Net-Ctrl and Westwood Associates)" it rarely stops. The Technical help Point is the title given by EMAP after discussions with Russ and what the stand lacks in size it makes up for in information.

Actually ... it is not a bad size. If Chris could just persuade those people next door to move back upstairs he could spread out a little ... but apparently the free smoothies are too enticing!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not really considering the language barrier, and taking this into account from Wikipedia:

While bounce rate is a useful tool for e-commerce sites, it is of more questionable value for sites such as news and information, where many visitors go to scan headlines and conduct research, and can find what they want immediately on the entry page. Indeed, for any kind of informational site, sophisticated users are likely to bookmark a page within the site, which then becomes their personal entry page, check it (e.g., for sports scores, the price of pork bellies, etc.), then bounce right off. The page will have done its job, but might still have a bounce rate above 80%, bringing up the average for the whole site. For such sites, metrics such as returning visitors vs. new visitors might be more informative.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The other interesting stat is how long people stick around for. Here in the UK we're averaging at over 7min. So we log in, catchup on the events, make a few posts and stick around. No doubt meny of us keep iSpy open in the background all day constantly updating.

Folks from the rest of the globe. Come here, find the answer to their problem and have gone again in under 2min.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    Thats a very high bounce rate from other countries...
    I'm sure its a stupid question but what is the bounce rate?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, a lot of US visitors simply don't want to contribute, which is why we are going to Dever in June to scare them into doing so!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I'm sure its a stupid question but what is the bounce rate?
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounce_rate]Bounce rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

8. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

SYNACK (20th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Yeah, a lot of US visitors simply don't want to contribute, which is why we are going to Dever in June to scare them into doing so!
    Be careful that's Dino country

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH7UfKmXRUQ"]YouTube- Denver the last dinosaur intro[/ame]

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, I had never got around to figuring that one out before now even though I have analytics setup for one of my schools sites

@tmcd35 - We are not all that bad, New Zealand manages a good three and a half minutes, Saudi Arabia hits five and Australia manages just over two. I guess it helps that there are some fairly active members in those countries to bring the totals up which does show in the stats.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @Gareth

As tony says it is in fact one of the better locations at BETT but also not a simple as saying move as we run service for BETT we get the space contra which means there are limited stands we could choose from.

But as rule we are in very good position if you A look at stand location, B who is around us (in previous years we have had some big names near us, c we are about 10 stands away from some very big names inc RM.

In terms of space what got to remember is when you see a big stand that is not one stand but several spaces brought for example RM stand (they buy space only) is made up of probably 8 normal stands. We have one of the biggest single stands you can buy...

@Tony

oh now he comes and says what good stand I am sure I remember I certain tiger faced person moaning at the stand I picked the first year and then after the BETT show best thing since slice bread..

Russ
    Last edited by russdev; 19th January 2010 at 10:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes UK have a very odd but good education system based on sharing good practice but other countries like USA this less so.

Based on research we have done lot of usa based visitors find the info and leave again..

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yup, one attitude is that they pay to gain qualifications and knowlege, and their employer pays them for this. They guard their expertise jelously. This from teh coutry who has the concept of the 'take a penny, leave a penny' jars!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    @Tony

oh now he comes and says what good stand I am sure I remember I certain tiger faced person moaning at the stand I picked the first year and then after the BETT show best thing since slice bread..

Russ
    Pretty sure it was some tall bloke moaning ... and a Meat Loaf look-a-like. I never moaned about the location, just about some slacker who wasn't going to be there to help get it ready ... or who wasn't prepared to stand in the cold on the Monday afternoon whilst we wondered what to do with the masses of furniture we had (2 cupboards, 1 *acquired* presentation case, 1 counter unit, 2 stools ... not forgetting the MDF and off-cuts of carpet!)

It wasn't until we were packing away on Saturday that I realised what my only complaint about the absolutely fantastic stand that had been put together by DB and Ric_ ... there were no off-cuts of carpet to be seen. Almost seemed like sacrilege ... Still, they had enough to deal with I suppose ... they had an EduTech to look after!

theeldergeek
    . This from teh coutry who has the concept of the 'take a penny, leave a penny' jars!
    That confused the hell out of me for years, having 'secured' a window sticker with said motto on it from a souvenir shop in Florida, somewhere.

I really never quite got the gist of it.

I awoke every day to that emblazoned on my bedroom window (which was a cool place to have it when I was a young teenager).

One day, I peeled it off the window, and haven't given it a thought since.

Till now....

Aaaaaaaaargh!

16. Thanks to theeldergeek from:

RingOfFlame (20th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Pretty sure it was some tall bloke moaning ... and a Meat Loaf look-a-like. I never moaned about the location, just about some slacker who wasn't going to be there to help get it ready ... or who wasn't prepared to stand in the cold on the Monday afternoon whilst we wondered what to do with the masses of furniture we had (2 cupboards, 1 *acquired* presentation case, 1 counter unit, 2 stools ... not forgetting the MDF and off-cuts of carpet!)

It wasn't until we were packing away on Saturday that I realised what my only complaint about the absolutely fantastic stand that had been put together by DB and Ric_ ... there were no off-cuts of carpet to be seen. Almost seemed like sacrilege ... Still, they had enough to deal with I suppose ... they had an EduTech to look after!
    I actually missed the random pieces of carpet strewn around the stand this year!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast