+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What does 'Edugeek' actually do? in General; In a few years there will be fewer network managers or non corporate techies when BSF really starts to bite ...
    Thank Post
    In a few years there will be fewer network managers or non corporate techies when BSF really starts to bite in all areas. Perhaps many tuped workers will be unable to use sites like this that are so useful at the moment and be forced to use the systems and support facilities provided by their company. I hope Edugeek and those employed by it are planning for the future. What use is sponsoring sites when the userbase decreases and the purchasing power of the users dissapears when they all have their budgets handed to the managed service providers? I hope though that things don't ever get that bad.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes it is something we think about but not something we worry about. We are getting good a predicting this old political game and have a good idea were BSF will go over the next few years.

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,507 Posts
    Almost as good as the visitor to the stand who asked "so what do you sell then" when they were told "nothing" they walked away.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not as good as the first year when DB had a Saudi prince come up and say, "how much to buy you?" and he really was talking about buying the site, getting it translated and made available overseas!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,985 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Almost as good as the visitor to the stand who asked "so what do you sell then" when they were told "nothing" they walked away.

Ben
    Some people have a fear of free stuff.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dalsoth View Post
    In a few years there will be fewer network managers or non corporate techies when BSF really starts to bite in all areas. Perhaps many tuped workers will be unable to use sites like this that are so useful at the moment and be forced to use the systems and support facilities provided by their company. I hope Edugeek and those employed by it are planning for the future. What use is sponsoring sites when the userbase decreases and the purchasing power of the users dissapears when they all have their budgets handed to the managed service providers? I hope though that things don't ever get that bad.
    You would not belive the amount of support companies that do use us as their main sourse of reference! We arn't sweating, a large chunkj of our members are not in education and in a few years time the forst wave of BSF schools will be coming out of their managed servie contracts and can, if they wish, go back to in-house support. Besides, we are a global site you know, and the UK provides lss than 50% of our traffic now. EduGeek will be around for quite a bit longer yet.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 19th January 2010 at 10:02 PM.

7. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

garethedmondson (19th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Some people have a fear of free stuff.
    I blame all of those 'We'll give you free printers if you only buy your toner\ink from us' schemes a couple of years back for spreading fear of the word free in education circles!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    and the UK provides lss than 50% of our traffic now.
    That's an interesting statistic. I'm going to make a bold assumtion and say that the largest percentage of traffic is from the UK. But where next? What are the top 5 visitor locations? I'm guessing USA and Australia by the posts I've seen.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    That's an interesting statistic. I'm going to make a bold assumtion and say that the largest percentage of traffic is from the UK. But where next? What are the top 5 visitor locations? I'm guessing USA and Australia by the posts I've seen.
    I've attached a dump of our visitor stats from Google Analytics for you to look at.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What does 'Edugeek' actually do?-analytics_www.edugeek.net_20091219-20100118_-geomapreport-.pdf  
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 19th January 2010 at 10:32 PM.

11. 7 Thanks to Dos_Box:

CHR1S (20th January 2010), Devontechie (19th January 2010), Soulfish (19th January 2010), speckytecky (20th January 2010), SYNACK (19th January 2010), tmcd35 (19th January 2010), vikpaw (20th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for that DB, that was an interesting read. Must say US traffic is higher than I'd have guessed and for some reason I'd never had guessed india being in the top five!

hello to all our international friends.

EDIT: It really does show we're attracting quiet a following and the site is growing quiet impressively.

Thank Post
    I've attached a dump of our visitor stats from Google Analytics for you to look at.
    As tmcd35 as said, very interesting.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Our BETT presence is three fold really we run the technical help point for BETT (Something we need to make sure is more clear in future years) and then for us as org meeting you lot and also gaining new members to the community.
    Hi Russ,

Thanks for pointing out some of the answers. I feel the need to bring you to the quote above - if this is the case and you are the technical help point for BETT then you need to be closer to the middle of the show instead of a small stand near the rear. I don't know where you were this year, but the camera made the stand look small.

Is the title 'Technical Help Point for BETT' an official title as given to you by the organisers of BETT? If so then I totally agree with you about making it clearer in future years. BETT should also realise that you need to be closer to the front.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,745 Times in 2,319 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks it's interesting to see the break down, any chance of the stats for New Zealand? It would be quite interesting to see how many hits come from down here.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Thanks for that DB, that was an interesting read. Must say US traffic is higher than I'd have guessed and for some reason I'd never had guessed india being in the top five!

hello to all our international friends.

EDIT: It really does show we're attracting quiet a following and the site is growing quiet impressively.
    I shall run a screen recorder when Woopra is running at about 3pm just to give you a vauge idea of just how big we are. Incidentally, those stats may be skewed a little due to it being over teh xmas period. I shall try and get a years worth for you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Here, y'go. A years worth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What does 'Edugeek' actually do?-analytics_www.edugeek.net_20090119-20100118_-geomapreport-.pdf  

18. 2 Thanks to Dos_Box:

SYNACK (19th January 2010), vikpaw (20th January 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast