+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, McKinnon: The longest ever game of pass the parcel in General; Arrrgh! That guy from the register just ripped my post THE NEW REPUBLIC: Autistic Hacker Slanders Us All took the ...

Thank Post
    Arrrgh! That guy from the register just ripped my post THE NEW REPUBLIC: Autistic Hacker Slanders Us All

took the swearing and the slander out and re-served it.

So, Anyway here's one Geek with Asperger's that thinks McKinnon should swing...

"Computer vandal plays the Autism card (again) and wins two month reprieve"

"Stoned, Autistic Hacker, Gary McKinnon has won yet another round in his battle against the United Kingdom Home Secretary's decision to ship him off to Virginia to face a Federal rap of being Stupid in Charge of a Computer..."

If this grabs you, please continue reading on the link above - and if you do drop by, please leave a rant...

2. 2 Thanks to Socrates:

bossman (18th January 2010), mattx (16th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    ' McKinnon and his Mummy..........' HA HA HA HA...

McKinnon who's supporters claim he is so profoundly affected by his Asperger's Syndrome that not only was he unable to control his actions which lead to him hacking at least 97 times into American computer networks but somehow managed to remain undiagnosed until Cleetus told him he'd look real purdy in Orange.

WA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 1,465 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My brother has aspergers to a similar degree, and he would never be left alone with a PC for precisely this reason. My brother also knows right from wrong.

McKinnon should never have been left unsupervised with his condition (something EVERYONE should agree on), and as such he was neglected - so his carer should be charged with neglect, and on top of that, he did commit a crime, he should know right and wrong and know that it was wrong to hack. He can only play the Aspergers card so much before they put him on the plane in a straight jacket.

5. 2 Thanks to nephilim:

bossman (18th January 2010), localzuk (16th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Janis Sharp, McKinnon's Mummy isn't talking to me any more for saying horrible things about her Bunnykins (ie introducing some facts into the Debate) .

Some of McKinnon's supporters tried to find out where I live, presumably to pay me a visit to discuss things further.
    Last edited by witch; 17th January 2010 at 01:42 PM.

Thank Post
    I have invited them all to debate - but they are a PR campaign, not the Oxford Union, so all they can muster is Duckspeak.

Thank Post
    For the record, I don't think it matters if he has aspergers or not, a crime is a crime and should be addressed BUT it does matter that he is treated decently. He's not a mass murderer.

Personally I'd like to see him kept in the UK and dealt with under UK law, with his aspergers taken into account as prison is a damaging place and he is more vulnerable in that sense than average joe.

It's pig headed and vindictive to say "lock him up and throw away the key", what did he do to you? It seems to me that the US had it's ego dented over this, otherwise it wouldn't be quite the issue it is and that in my mind is unacceptable.

9. 5 Thanks to Batman:

localzuk (16th January 2010), meastaugh1 (16th January 2010), Theblacksheep (16th January 2010), witch (17th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Well, he isn't and never was going to be locked up for the rest of his life. He'd spend less than 6 months in the US before being repatriated...

11. Thanks to Socrates from:

bossman (18th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Careful,it may be the last day of BETT, but all of us admins and mods are in a restaurant, but we ARE watching, so play nice with each other!

<edited due to Windows mobile predictive text errors!>
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 17th January 2010 at 08:55 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Well, he isn't and never was going to be locked up for the rest of his life. He'd spend less than 6 months in the US before being repatriated...
    The problem is this - the US military was caught napping with regards to their security. Due to this, the government has pretty much admitted that they wish to make an example of McKinnon. The charges he faces, when totalled up, come to much longer than 6 months sentence. The crime he committed over here would carry a much less harsh penalty, but the USA have added the word 'terrorism' to it and got everyone whipped up into a frenzy about it.

The only reason he could be extradited is due to extradition powers brought in to deal specifically with terrorism. To claim what he did was terrorism would be ridiculous, to say the least. An extradition treaty that removes the ability for the accused to claim Legal Aid for his defence. So, when he gets there, he suddenly needs to spend millions on his defence, just because he's in a different country.

Add into this that the treaty was signed *after* he was arrested in the UK under the Computer Misuse Act - where he'd fact 6 months prison, total. Also, an offence which is non-extraditable. He faces a total of 70 years, if he is found guilty and it is sentenced to be served sequentially.

Thank Post
    I forget a bit...

what did he do to you?

His pr campaign besmirches the public's perception of people like me with Asperger's Syndrome. He infantilises himself and Us by playing his Autistic Get Out of Jail Free card. He makes us look like a joke, objects of pity and targets for condescension from our neurological superiors.

More McKinnon Facts:

THE NEW REPUBLIC: Autistic Hacker - Stoned, Again

15. Thanks to Socrates from:

OutToLunch (18th January 2010)

Thank Post
    localzuk,

I dealt with the sentencing situation in the post at the other end of the link above.

He's looking at about 3 years. And repatriated after (well, as soon as they can get the paperwork done) 16-26 weeks.

We went through all this Life in Gitmo with the NatWest3 - who share a pr agent with McKinnon.

They ended up getting 37 months - repatriated after 25 weeks - for a multimillion pound theft.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I forget a bit...

what did he do to you?

His pr campaign besmirches the public's perception of people like me with Asperger's Syndrome. He infantilises himself and Us by playing his Autistic Get Out of Jail Free card. He makes us look like a joke, objects of pity and targets for condescension from our neurological superiors.

More McKinnon Facts:

THE NEW REPUBLIC: Autistic Hacker - Stoned, Again
    Ok, first thing I have to say is that those articles you've linked are some of the worst written pages I've read on the net for some time. Poor structure, poor grammar and just plain difficult to read... However, some of the information within them is good - such as the inclusion of the actual charges, which contain dozens of unsubstantiated claims, variations of the amount of damage done - $700k, $900k etc... what is it? Surely they have a total by now?

localzuk,

I dealt with the sentencing situation in the post at the other end of the link above.

He's looking at about 3 years. And repatriated after (well, as soon as they can get the paperwork done) 16-26 weeks.

We went through all this Life in Gitmo with the NatWest3 - who share a pr agent with McKinnon.

They ended up getting 37 months - repatriated after 25 weeks - for a multimillion pound theft.
    This is plainly incorrect. The section of law he is claimed to have broken is Title 18, United States Code, Sections 1030(a)(5)(A) and 2.

From that law "(c) The punishment for an offense under subsection (a) or (b) of this section is—
    (1)
    (A) a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more than ten years, or both, in the case of an offense under subsection (a)(1) of this section which does not occur after a conviction for another offense under this section, or an attempt to commit an offense punishable under this subparagraph; and
    (B) a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more than twenty years, or both, in the case of an offense under subsection (a)(1) of this section which occurs after a conviction for another offense under this section, or an attempt to commit an offense punishable under this subparagraph;"
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/1030.html

He is being claimed to have 7 counts of that law having been broken. Reading that law, it states that if he is convicted he would face 10 years maximum per count, plus a fine.

So, where are you getting 3 years from? I'd love to know, as the articles you linked simply state these smaller figures without any evidence based in law.
    Last edited by localzuk; 16th January 2010 at 10:05 PM.

Thank Post
    All grammatical reconstructions/corrections are welcome. (Although allow me to do a McKinnon - I am Autistic to the point of being a client of an LDP - so don't get cute about unusual neologisms/behaviour/grammar from me - would you make fun of someone in a wheelchair having trouble negotiating stairs?)

And allow me to point out your web reading skills seem to need a little polishing: references to source material are all linked.

ie "With the likely three year sentence" is referenced here with the words of the first prosecutor.

Code:
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9111981/Former_prosecutor_UFO_hack_looked_like_terrorist_attack?taxonomyId=82&pageNumber=2
    (Also linked to the Wired article that references the Federal sentencing guidelines).

But of course if you and Google are the greater authority...

And the estimates of damage are from the Indictment... For example at the Weapons Station, a week of downtime for 300 computers, and restricted availability of services for a further 3 weeks was costed by the Yanks at $290,431.

This equals $34.58 per computer, per day. Tell me, if your school network got hacked by a stoned, unemployed McKinnon - would you be able to get a better deal for a replacement?

Being so au fait with Google I'll leave you to ferret out the details of the discussions about facilitating his speedy repatriation that have already taken place...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Yes, he broke the law, but there are extenuating circumstances. The claims that he 'hacked' are over-emphasised also - he accessed machines which were not protected. His skills were about as advanced as the average 12 year old.
    I'm pretty sure that I read that he used to be a systems administrator, suggesting that not only was he presumably a bit more advanced than your average "12 year old" but that he seemed to be fairly compos mentis at the time. Strangely, his "Aspergers's" was only diagnosed after his alleged offences were discovered. Still, I guess that more people would have sympathy for that diagnosis than if he tried to hang his crimes on his being stoned at the time.

BTW, if he was "only looking for UFO evidence" why was he leaving those bizarre messages/rants?

Thank Post
    Hmm.. can't help wondering how those costs break down, because the way I see it sooner or later (perhaps as a consequence of the bad news delivered by a decent authorized pen-test) they were definitely going to have to spend quite a bit of money. If you take your security seriously there shouldn't be much difference in what you do to those systems when:

a) Some Good Guy[tm] tells you they are hopelessly vulnerable and *may* have been compromised in the last couple of years.

b) Someone like McK. blunders around enough that you know they have been compromised.

21. Thanks to PiqueABoo from:

localzuk (17th January 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast