+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
General Chat Thread, No grit = Boris Johnson in General; Speaking to a contact in the local council I found out Boris Johnson the reason why London does not have ...
  1. #1
    nicholab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    1,486
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 97 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    50

    No grit = Boris Johnson

    Speaking to a contact in the local council I found out Boris Johnson the reason why London does not have enough grit!! Our council are having to give grit to other as they socked up and had the right amount.
    Last edited by nicholab; 12th January 2010 at 09:01 AM.

  2. #2

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    10,793
    Thank Post
    1,789
    Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,616 Posts
    Rep Power
    771
    We can't buy more grit from County Supplies because County have requisitioned it. Nice work ... lets' keep the schools open.

    We've been told we can't have any for at least a fortnight. Caretaker has bought sacks of grit and water softener salt from the local DIY store to tide us through.

  3. #3
    rad
    rad is offline
    rad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    2,482
    Thank Post
    335
    Thanked 308 Times in 236 Posts
    Rep Power
    109
    which councils are giving it away? I'm confused

  4. #4

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    10,793
    Thank Post
    1,789
    Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,616 Posts
    Rep Power
    771
    I assume London Boroughs are being forced to hand over to central London

  5. #5
    SteveBentley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,438
    Thank Post
    120
    Thanked 263 Times in 189 Posts
    Rep Power
    72
    Grit is being managed centrally, so that all councils have access to some supplies, regardless of which councils had the foresight to order plenty in advance.

  6. #6

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,747
    Thank Post
    1,275
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    We can't buy more grit from County Supplies because County have requisitioned it. Nice work ... lets' keep the schools open.
    Yep we were told the same thing here. So the choice is icy roads *to* school or icy paths *at* school

  7. #7
    cookie_monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    4,197
    Thank Post
    392
    Thanked 278 Times in 239 Posts
    Rep Power
    74
    When you look at the last few years winters it's very difficult to plan for one like this, our caretakers got a bit caught out last year so they had 2 tons in this year and it still didn't last. You can't order loads extra as if you don't use it it goes bad. This winter has been extreme that's the problem so it’s difficult to really lay blame at anyone’s door though that won't stop a waste of money enquiry trying.

  8. #8

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,240
    Thank Post
    1,058
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Rep Power
    740
    This happened for London last Thursday. My kids school road was NOT gritted and was a death trap ready to happen. I witnessed a few cars just skid off. The school was closed because just because of the non-gritting. I sent a E-mail to my ward Cllrs asking them why it was not gritted Tuesday night / Wednesday morning as this was when the majority of the snow fell for us. They have tried to fob me off with the 'government has taken control' however I have pointed out that this only happened Thursday and not on the days I asked about. I have also pointed out that the road in which the school is on is NOT down on the list of roads in our borough to be gritted but others are which have no schools on. I am looking forward to their explanations..........
    Almost a week has passed and I am still waiting for the explanations........

    As for Boris - yet another Eton Boy idiot out of touch with the normal folk. I did not agree with a great deal that Ken did but at least you knew where you stood with him - if you want pure stupidity and comedy watch the Mayor's Q&A sessions - Boris is just so stupid it's funny - he can't even string a sentance together let alone run a city. We finally have our George Bush.
    Last edited by mattx; 12th January 2010 at 09:39 AM.

  9. #9

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,680
    Thank Post
    516
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    832
    The councils were warned by the AA that they had 250,000 tonnes less this year than in previous years but were fobbed off with 'we use just in time delivery systems now', ignoring the fact that if everyone was using JIT then when a freeze came along, hundreds of lorries would be travelling to the 1 or 2 mines in the country to collect the stuff... at the same time.

    It doesn't take a genius to figure out that you are better having too much than too little. Not to mention that this cold winter was forecast by various organisations but the government ignored them.

  10. #10
    cookie_monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    4,197
    Thank Post
    392
    Thanked 278 Times in 239 Posts
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The councils were warned by the AA that they had 250,000 tonnes less this year than in previous years but were fobbed off with 'we use just in time delivery systems now', ignoring the fact that if everyone was using JIT then when a freeze came along, hundreds of lorries would be travelling to the 1 or 2 mines in the country to collect the stuff... at the same time.

    It doesn't take a genius to figure out that you are better having too much than too little. Not to mention that this cold winter was forecast by various organisations but the government ignored them.

    True but the forecasting of late has been atrocious they haven't even been getting close on the next few hours here. I sure I remember reading that a warm winter was forecast by some.

    EDIT: No you're right I must be thinking of last years forcast

    http://met4cast.com/winter-forecast/2009/winter0910.pdf
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 12th January 2010 at 09:54 AM.

  11. #11


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,588
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 856 Times in 735 Posts
    Rep Power
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The councils were warned by the AA that they had 250,000 tonnes less this year than in previous years but were fobbed off with 'we use just in time delivery systems now', ignoring the fact that if everyone was using JIT then when a freeze came along, hundreds of lorries would be travelling to the 1 or 2 mines in the country to collect the stuff... at the same time.

    It doesn't take a genius to figure out that you are better having too much than too little. Not to mention that this cold winter was forecast by various organisations but the government ignored them.
    and their wouldnt be problems if the council took money from say the education budget so they could buy/store more grit. it all costs money and at the end of the day tax payers have to stump up in one of 2 ways less services or more tax. If you want to pay extra tax to buy more grit/gritters for the once or twice a decade its a problem then fair enough but i dont. I managed to drive 500 miles last week and only once did i find a bit of road that was hard to drive up and that was a 10 yard stretch up a hill ive had no problem getting around apart from traffic last tuesday
    Last edited by sted; 12th January 2010 at 10:07 AM.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,962
    Thank Post
    159
    Thanked 152 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    49
    Im also not going to moan at councils too much either. We're obviously short round here but it is difficult and it is unusual to have this much snow/ice at once and all over the country (hence making ordering difficult). If they had tons of extra in storage they would probably end up having to sell it to another council anyway.

  13. #13
    nicholab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    1,486
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 97 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    50
    I suppose in a way it our own fault we what to pay less council tax and it goes on things like this.

  14. #14

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,747
    Thank Post
    1,275
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    I suppose in a way it our own fault we what to pay less council tax and it goes on things like this.
    I disagree as a lot of the money we do pay is wasted.
    Taking an example I know about: Leicester City Council paid £11.5m in consultants fees last year including fees for BSF consultants (one of which was an ex-headteacher who resigned when his school failed OFSTED!), consultants for the proposed tram network (which isn't going ahead) and a review of the StarTrak system which has never worked properly and for which the Campaign for Better Transport has already carried out extensive work on proposals for improving the system which have been consistently ignored.

    Sort out the waste and perhaps we might be able to afford safe roads.

  15. 3 Thanks to sparkeh:

    localzuk (12th January 2010), mattx (12th January 2010), stevenwba (12th January 2010)

  16. #15

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,680
    Thank Post
    516
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    832
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    I disagree as a lot of the money we do pay is wasted.
    Taking an example I know about: Leicester City Council paid £11.5m in consultants fees last year including fees for BSF consultants (one of which was an ex-headteacher who resigned when his school failed OFSTED!), consultants for the proposed tram network (which isn't going ahead) and a review of the StarTrak system which has never worked properly and for which the Campaign for Better Transport has already carried out extensive work on proposals for improving the system which have been consistently ignored.

    Sort out the waste and perhaps we might be able to afford safe roads.
    Precisely. Waste is everywhere in local governments.

  17. Thanks to localzuk from:

    stevenwba (12th January 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. [News] Boris 1 - Paxman 0
    By laserblazer in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 7th October 2009, 11:18 AM
  2. Sims Reason 0
    By FN-GM in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 14th September 2009, 09:05 PM
  3. 'Reason' error codes
    By LeonieCol in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28th January 2009, 04:19 PM
  4. Reason 3
    By amvc in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 9th June 2008, 09:50 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •