+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Is Monday open? in General; Just as I finish last website update school will be open - its starts to sleet (just a bit mind ...

Thank Post

Is Monday open?

Just as I finish last website update school will be open - its starts to sleet (just a bit mind )

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    We'r esupposedly done with snow, but have been watching it for the last half hour!

Things have generally thawed today, so I think we'll be open tomorrow.

Thank Post
    I'm getting a bit fed up with all this. Set off for work this morning, had been snowing since before first light but traffic was moving. Got to the school gates and received a text - school closed. Apparently the hills that surround the town were considered dangerous, there had been a number of road accidents and the snow was quite thick. Nothing wrong with that except that all of the staff were already at school when the closure notice came, except the head who arrived just after I did!!

Now I'm at home again, the roads are clear and it's raining. When will common sense prevail I wonder?

Thank Post
    When will common sense prevail I wonder?
    Heads are under tremdous pressure to open schools - especially today if they've been shut last week.

I have slipped twice and was about 10ft away from a head on (slow speed) collision earlier.

I'm at my 3rd school and got 2 more to get to today if I want to go to BETT tomorrow

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    I can appreciate that travelling from one school to another may be hazardous. I also understand the pressure that head teachers are under. However, on Friday when the snow was still a foot deep and falling all day - we were open. The majority of pupils and staff arrived on time on all got home safely, also on time. Today most of the snow has gone and it's now stopped raining - and we are closed. At the point of closure all of the staff had arrived and pupils, who incidentally weren't due for another half hour, mostly live within walking distance.

I guess a case of damned if they do and damned if they don't. Frustrating either way.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    I can appreciate that travelling from one school to another may be hazardous. I also understand the pressure that head teachers are under. However, on Friday when the snow was still a foot deep and falling all day - we were open. The majority of pupils and staff arrived on time on all got home safely, also on time. Today most of the snow has gone and it's now stopped raining - and we are closed. At the point of closure all of the staff had arrived and pupils, who incidentally weren't due for another half hour, mostly live within walking distance.

I guess a case of damned if they do and damned if they don't. Frustrating either way.
    The snow isn't the main issue - its the ice that has formed because of the freezing temps. The ice is a lot more dangerous than the snow.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have to remember that there are many questions that need asking before a school can stay open - they are all knock on's because of the snow but things like:

Can we provide heating and food for the pupils?
    Do we have enough salt/grit to make our paths safe?
    Are there enough staff in school to ensure the safety of the pupils?
    If the pupils come to school, can we get them home safely?
    Can the pupils move between lessons safely?

Then you get the ice/snow etc.

I think schools are having a tough time in the media at the moment due to them closing. Every headline is - "Snow ..... schools....."

I notice it's not "Snow...... bus services....."

It's always "schools" that are mentioned in that main headline. Give the schools a break. Give the Headteachers a break. It's not easy.

Gareth

8. Thanks to garethedmondson from:

ButterflyMoon (11th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Yep understand all of those points. Answer to all but one is Yes the school can/has. The only possible variable being "can pupils get home safely?" Weather forecast says yes.

This is a single story, Primary school - no issues with movement between lessons. As I stated earlier all staff had already arrived. No plummeting temperatures, no snow, no ice. All bus services running normally and traffic is free-flowing. Geographic location is urban, LA have plenty of grit. Sorry but I just can't see where the "problem" is with keeping the school open.

<gets ready to eat words if weather forecast is utterly wrong>

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    I fell flat on my back hiking to school this morning, despite good walking boots and a pole. Fortunately I had a back-pack which stopped me cracking my head on the pavement. I am bruised on the rear and my elbow though

Thank Post
    Ouch - my natural padding saved me

regards

Simon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread