+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Ford Makes Dashboards A Lot Cooler in General; Link: Ford Makes Dashboards A Lot Cooler | Autopia | Wired.com I am sure it all look very nice but ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,316 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ford Makes Dashboards A Lot Cooler

Link: Ford Makes Dashboards A Lot Cooler | Autopia | Wired.com

I am sure it all look very nice but as a driver of this vehicle how much of this technology is actually of use?

Unless it is [partly] directed toward the passenger?

Thank Post
    I have always liked the dashboards of modern Ford cars. With the exception of Audi (and a few others), they always seem to get it right for me, unlike Vauxhall where the dashboard is bland, not user friendly and quite frankly doesn't do anything for me. In saying that, Vauxhall are starting to get it right with the Insignia and new Astra.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Link: Ford Makes Dashboards A Lot Cooler | Autopia | Wired.com

I am sure it all look very nice but as a driver of this vehicle how much of this technology is actually of use?

Unless it is [partly] directed toward the passenger?
    I don't like to boast, but my new Auris SR180 already has touch screen and voice activated commands and that is a touch under 2 years old.

To answer your question, as a driver, it is very useful. I can change CD track, change from CD to radio (or vice versa) make a telephone call etc all by talking at the car. The only thing that does require push button intervention' is the climate control, but once that is set, I don't need to bother with it again. Biggest joy for me, is a CD player that reads MP3's. I can at last have a huge music selection without a car full of CD's!

Gonna love my drive to work and back!

EDIT : Sorry, new car, still haven't driven it properly what with the weather, have to admit to being a little bit excited still!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    I like some of it but personally some of those pics look far too cluttered. IMHO you should be able to change station/etc whithout looking away from the road for longer than a second and in that department touchscreens dont even come close to physical buttons, especailly with the amount going on in those pics.

I do find it rather funny that you arnt allowed to use your mp3 players or mobile phones which you use everyday and know intermitely, yet you are allowed to use an mp3 player and mobile phone which is built into the car

Thank Post
    I've got a 58 plate Mondeo and that's got bluetooth and a screen on the dash, voice recognition, and everything can be done by voice, cd, dab, tuning radio, making calls, even the climate and defrosting windows, heated windows, etc.
    The screen isn't a touch screen though cos it's in the dash not in the center console, its where the clocks are.

The only trouble with it seems to be that they built an interface which was suposedly compatible, then they had a lot of different companies made a lot of different parts and plugged them all in. As a result and a bit of a rush job, there are (or atleast were) loads of problems with it, which has been wittled down to a couple of little niggles now.

I do agree though that touch screen for the driver is a bit dodgy.
    However, mini are doing a cool thing with their 'globe'. It's done in such a way that it's a mobile pc to the passenger / dvd / whatever and a satnav to the driver, on the same screen. Just depends which angle you look at it from. Thats clever.
    And, Ford being the same company as Jag, Jag have had exactly that technology that's on the link, in the jags, for a couple of years, just like theeldergeek's SR180. Nice car btw.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    anything that doesn't give a driver tactile feedback is dangerous.

I can keep my eye on the road and with a bit of spacial memory and feeling I can find the buttons for everything or use the remote which is also designed for use without looking at it. Touchscreen means I would have to take my eyes off the road to use it.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    Touchscreen means I would have to take my eyes off the road to use it.
    In my Toyota, the touchscreen function is actually disabled when the vehicle is moving. I can still 'talk' to it though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread