+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Sea Shepherd's Ady Gil Attacked By Japanese Whaling Vessel in General; Posting this here because it doesn't really belong in Interweb/Jokes. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brw6JN0lQXY"]YouTube- Sea Shepherd's Ady Gil attacked by Japanese Whaling Vessel[/ame] ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 814 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sea Shepherd's Ady Gil Attacked By Japanese Whaling Vessel

Posting this here because it doesn't really belong in Interweb/Jokes.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brw6JN0lQXY"]YouTube- Sea Shepherd's Ady Gil attacked by Japanese Whaling Vessel[/ame]

Don't know how you feel about whaling [I think that it is unjustified] Protest ships have been bothering whaling ships for years without an incident like this occurring.

Thank Post
    damn thats a nice boat they smashed up!!
    Its a no win situation tho, vigiante moves by the sea shepherds againsed supposedly illegal whaling! Break a law to uphold a law?
    Last edited by CHR1S; 7th January 2010 at 04:19 PM.

Thank Post
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=looYVGVNRAE"]YouTube- Pokerface by Eric cartman[/ame]

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm glad the crew were ok. Its kinda sickening that the Japanese boat didn't rescue them from the water - instead another Sea Shepherd vessel had to come and rescue them. International maritime law states that if there is a collision, the vessel must stop and render assistance.

I'm sure Sea Shepherd will get another ship though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thats the old Earthrace boat which ran on recycled biodeisel round the world in record time for such a vessel. Built in NZ too, it is a total shame that the Japanese decided to squish it at it was an extremely high tech boat and mighty fast. I assume that may have been one of the reasons they targeted it as it was actually fast enough to intercept them and had the stamina to keep it up. I find it hard to beleive that it was anything other than deliberate as a boat that quick is not likely to be run over by a stationary monster of a boat like the Whaler.

I actually saw it in Auckland harbour a couple of months ago before it set off, when it still had a front it looked like it could have been owned and run by Batman

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hmm tbh I think that they are both pretty bad at the way they acted. The Gil should NOT have been crossing the path of the larger boat which both videos seem to imply. Its much harder for the larger boat to adjust course quickly especially in sea's like that.
    There video you can CLEARLY see their (Gil) engines were still running and the boat was on a heading to collide/cross the path in front which they should never have done in the first place. I am not for whaling in any regards but tbh there are too many protestors who push the limits too far. Why did the Gil crew not take proper evasive action?!?! when they clearly were on a bad path at least... it a lot easier for them...

Its hard to say without more footage to evalutate the sea's as well as what the Gil/Whaler were doing prior though.

Thank Post
    Not to justify what the Japanese did, but this is worth a look.

@ZeroHour
    + If i remember there was an interview with the sea Sheppard captain where he was saying the ship was stationary and the Japanese had lots of time to get out of its way. But you can see they aimed for them.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXQq78lvKrU"]YouTube- Sea Shepherd rams Japanese whaling ship[/ame]
    Last edited by AWicher; 7th January 2010 at 06:01 PM.

Thank Post
    I have to wonder why the Andy Gil just sat there (if the comment about the jap boat coming at them from a distance is true)... It's not like a big boat like that can just jump out from behind a bush.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    I have to wonder why the Andy Gil just sat there (if the comment about the jap boat coming at them from a distance is true)... It's not like a big boat like that can just jump out from behind a bush.
    I'd guess that they didn't think the ship would be dumb enough to crash into them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Apparently from what I have heard from NZ news media they were either out or just about out of fuel and hence were having difficulty. I do agree thought that especially in that situation it is epiclly stupid to park in front of a large angry ship to refuel. This is unfortunatly pretty standard though as the only way they get media coverage anymore is to do something stupid.

I do totally disagree with the whole whaleing thing especially as they dump around 80% of their catch because they have no market or 'scientific use' for it but the silly games that are played by the concervationests are rather ineffective for the most part.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The gil engines were running and the props look like they could easily have been engaged (although not at high power) based on the whaler video. One video makes the whaler look like it turned into the gil but it also shows a large deep hulled boat turning head onto a heavy wave which is what you do in swell (which is why you stay the hell away from boats in any swell) . The whaler video shows the gil engines on, while on an obvious collision course and also the unexplained *debree* that was shown too which looked a lot like random rope which is what the whaler claimed they were really trying to do. Its all little unclear without the full videos showing before/after but I def dont think its clear cut that its the soley whalers fault. I think both were probably pushing it a little tbh.

Thank Post
    AS ever I don't think this is as clear cut as people try and make out. As shown, the group have been known to ram ships, they also try and foul propellers & disable other ships. Whalers are wrong but if you are going to try and play these tricks you have to expect to get knocked a bit. Trying to cry woe is me after is a bit silly. Especially when your boat is a thin fragile hull.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    AS ever I don't think this is as clear cut as people try and make out. As shown, the group have been known to ram ships, they also try and foul propellers & disable other ships. Whalers are wrong but if you are going to try and play these tricks you have to expect to get knocked a bit. Trying to cry woe is me after is a bit silly. Especially when your boat is a thin fragile hull.
    Indeed. But it gets them in the news...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread