+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, PAT Testing training in General; The job of PAT testing has been given to my techie, who forgot to duck Does anyone know of anywhere ...
    Thank Post

PAT Testing training

The job of PAT testing has been given to my techie, who forgot to duck

Does anyone know of anywhere that does PAT testing training in the North West? Preferably Cumbria or Lancashire - we need a course soonish

Cheers

Thank Post
    try first stop safety First Stop Safety - Home

Thank Post
    I did mine at my local technical college (before they all became universities) and did the C&G course. About 120 for a days training, including practical, and the 1 hour open book exam. I found it easy, but do have electrical/electronic background, and had been PATing for some years previously.

Some colleagues have done a DVD training "programme" that have left holes in their knowledge. They can do the basics, but come unstuck if they have to make decisions on out of the ordinary kit.

4. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

BatchFile (7th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Lancaster & Morecombe college do it. Attached is the booking form - next course in March.
    Last edited by jcollings; 7th January 2010 at 01:04 PM.

6. 2 Thanks to jcollings:

BatchFile (7th January 2010), john (7th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyRidal View Post

Does anyone know of anywhere that does PAT testing training in the North West? Preferably Cumbria or Lancashire - we need a course soonish

Cheers
    PAT Testing Expert do courses in Liverpool and Manchester - there is also a course in Leeds or Gateshead if you fancy crossing the pennines.

Courses are based on common sense, and taught by a guy with 20 years experience in the PAT Testing Industry.

Next Liverpool course 27th January!

PAT Testing Liverpool Training Course

Thank Post
    We have been testing for a couple of years and it has paid for itself but do bear in mind a good tester and software that allows you to download data to your PC will cost around 700 plus. If they want labels you can print your own which is what we do as preprinted labels cost a bomb.

Thank Post

Keep it simple!

Quote Originally Posted by smadison View Post
    We have been testing for a couple of years and it has paid for itself but do bear in mind a good tester and software that allows you to download data to your PC will cost around 700 plus. If they want labels you can print your own which is what we do as preprinted labels cost a bomb.
    You CAN spend hundreds of pounds on a PAT testing machine, but you really don't need to. For PAT Testing in a school, for example, you can test everything with a simple pass/fail device such as the BattPAT which is currently available for about 200 + VAT!

PAT Testing Labels can cost from about 5.00 for a roll of 500, so it's not too bad!

I know many people think that you have to do countless 'tests' on each piece of equipment, but that is just not the case. On our PAT Testing course we spend a lot of time talking about the importance of common sense, and the need to do thorough visual inspections. If done correctly, the visual inspection will identify the vast majority of faults, and you don't need a PAT testing at all to do that!

In my previous role as head of a large PAT testing company I oversaw the testing of 300,000 items per year, and based on that experience, we now recommend people 'keep it simple.'

Thank Post
    You CAN spend hundreds of pounds on a PAT testing machine, but you really don't need to. For PAT Testing in a school, for example, you can test everything with a simple pass/fail device such as the BattPAT which is currently available for about 200 + VAT!

PAT Testing Labels can cost from about 5.00 for a roll of 500, so it's not too bad!

It may be best to check what the requirements are for the local authority as it may require written documentation and if so why not spend the extra to save yourself time and money over the long term.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by megahertz View Post
    You CAN spend hundreds of pounds on a PAT testing machine, but you really don't need to. For PAT Testing in a school, for example, you can test everything with a simple pass/fail device such as
    You could... but these things don't give a user anything to go on as to the cause of the fail. Is the earth bond failing because the cable is long (.11R) or is it failing because the point you have the clamp on isn't earthed (open circuit) or because the earth wire has broken (again, open circuit)? Knowing this makes the proper analysis of the fault so much easier.

Thank Post

Smile

You raise a good point - most Pass/Fail devices are exactly like that - they only give you a Yes or No, with no room for judgement. What makes the BattPAT unique is that it has a 'long lead' button, which sets the pass value for the earth bond higher - to take account of extensions etc which have slightly higher earth bond resistances.

I was very cynical when I first saw the BattPAT - at the time I had 15 engineers going around the country testing in all sorts of different workplaces and they all had 'Proper' full sized PAT testers. The BattPAT looked like a toy in comparison. However, once I used it - I changed my mind!

I agree that if you are routinely testing 110V equipment, or testing in factories or workshops, then you need a full size PAT tester which will deliver a high current earth bond test and give an accurate result. But, in the vast majority of schools and colleges I've been to, most of the equipment can be checked much easier and quicker with a battery powered hand-held device.

It's like I said earlier - PAT testing is not about fancy bar codes or complicated databases - it should be simply about checking your equipment to see if it's safe. A simple but effective system based on common sense is surely the best way to go.

After all, we've all got other things to do besides PAT testing!

PAT Testing Courses

Thank Post
    Yes choosing testing as a career is one of the best option in today's era.
    I have completed my graduation with maths and computers and now i wanna join ISTQB Advanced Technical Test Analyst course to get the complete knowledge abotu software testing.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The H&S training department do it at my training company, half day course including practical... although I am about 300 miles from Cumbria!
    Last edited by GREED; 11th January 2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Reworded

Thank Post

Cheers
    I know Blackburn College does .. I was looking into the course for myself ..

I'm guessing most of the larger colleges around probably will too ..

16. Thanks to soveryapt from:

BatchFile (11th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    I know Blackburn College does .. I was looking into the course for myself ..

I'm guessing most of the larger colleges around probably will too ..
    You did see the date on this thread? lol

I think we sent him to Lancaster and Morecambe (or was it Kendal?) college - and he's doing a great job!

Thank Post
    You did see the date on this thread? lol

I think we sent him to Lancaster and Morecambe (or was it Kendal?) college - and he's doing a great job!
    HAHAHA .. *FACE PALM* ..

I've been too busy to get coffee yet today and just saw it come up in the new posts section because of replies .. n'er mind .. lol ..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast